The English Football Thread

Steve

From the Bilbao games I've seen, there not that great to watch.

The only team in La Liga (apart from Real and Barca) capable of making the top 6 in the PL would be Atletico Madrid.

Bilbao and Sociedad are good teams but I'm not sure if they'd be able to handle the pace and physicality of the PL over a 38 game season.

I never said that Bilbao were a good watch (they were under Biesla) but they are very talented. And I think the 'pace and physicality' of the PL is silly arguement. Yes the PL is a very different beast to La Liga but you still have to appreicate the fact that many players from foreign league adapt to the PL incredibly well and since the players can it's illogical to think that a team can't. There would be an initial culutre shock but a team is like a living organism, giving enough time, resources and the right guidance it can adapt to any situation. Though that is a wholly idealistic view, I'm not saying that it is certain or not.

• Replies 65.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

Ever watch Bilbao, Sociedad and Atletico Madrid? Not in the same class as Real and Barca but they are definitely better than most teams in the Prem. I'd rather watch Sociedad than Stoke to be honest! I'd also rather see an away match at San Sebastian than fucking Stoke, haha.

It's funny La Liga is both underrated and overrated for the exact same reason. People overrate it due to Real and Barca and they underrate it because of the gap Real and Barca make.

I take it for what it is. I'm a football fan but since the EPL is the only competition shown over here on Foxtel, I'd rather all the superstars play in it. I use to watch La Liga more then the EPL, unfortunately I was the only one and ESPN noticed that and decided not to show the games any more.

I take it for what it is. I'm a football fan but since the EPL is the only competition shown over here on Foxtel, I'd rather all the superstars play in it. I use to watch La Liga more then the EPL, unfortunately I was the only one and ESPN noticed that and decided not to show the games any more.

'Over here on Foxtel' haha what?

Yeah, I used to watch La Liga too on ESPN. And I watched everything else on Sentanta but they decided only the occasional Dutch and German match was worth airing.

Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert has been fined £8,000 by the Football Association for comments he made in the wake of Aston Villa's 2-1 Barclays Premier League defeat at Chelsea last month.

Lambert was furious after Branislav Ivanovic was only booked by referee Kevin Friend for a foul on Christian Benteke - then went on to head home Chelsea's late winner - and also insisted his side should have had a penalty for an apparent handball by John Terry.

The FA said in a statement: "Following an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing, Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert has been fined £8,000 in relation to post-match media comments he made after his side's game against Chelsea on 21 August 2013.

"The misconduct charge, which Lambert admitted, was that the comments implied the match referee was motivated by bias; and/or brought the game into disrepute, in contravention of FA Rule E3 (1)."

Lambert clashed with Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho in the technical area following the incident and told the media afterwards: "We've been done by two decisions that were wrong.

"Decisions like that, I don't think you can miss them, I really don't. They're big game-changers. My team never deserved that."

'Over here on Foxtel' haha what?

Yeah, I used to watch La Liga too on ESPN. And I watched everything else on Sentanta but they decided only the occasional Dutch and German match was worth airing.

Setanta over here is balls. I had it for over a year and watched it probably 4 times. Can't believe they don't even pick up the Serie A.

Yeah, I agree with him. Ramsey is a CM and Ozil is a CAM. Not only that but Ramsey has been top class for Arsenal this season, it would be mental to drop him for no reason.

If anything Wilshere is the true muppet of the Arsenal midfield.

Ever watch Bilbao, Sociedad and Atletico Madrid? Not in the same class as Real and Barca but they are definitely better than most teams in the Prem. I'd rather watch Sociedad than Stoke to be honest! I'd also rather see an away match at San Sebastian than fucking Stoke, haha.

It's funny La Liga is both underrated and overrated for the exact same reason. People overrate it due to Real and Barca and they underrate it because of the gap Real and Barca make.

But since he was comparing Ozil and Ramsey, I think he was talking about the CAM role which Ramsey has played in the past. And I find it hilarious that Ramsey, even on the form of his life, would ever start there ahead of Ozil.

As for La Liga, all the teams there are capable of playing some great football (though a bit too "light-weight" for my taste), but what teams other than Madrid and Barca lack is big-name players. When was the last time you heard a La Liga team other than the big two and Athletico make a big money signing of some highly rated player. Here in the EPL, you have the top 6-7 always signing largely in-demand players. Even clubs like Sunderland and Southampton made signings like Giacharini and Osvaldo.