Luka Modric

DavidEU

Sparingly? Lampard played 49 matches last season and was one of our better players and we suddenly have to cut his playing time in half simply because he's 34? Scholes was playing 33-38 games a season in his last 4 years before retiring (and coming back).Giggs has averaged almost 39 games a season in the last 5 seasons and he's 5 years older than Lampard. The idea that we have to bench a good player simply because of his age, is ridiculous. It's probably best that he doesn't play 49 games again, but he could easily play 40 and still be very effective. Lampard is probably the greatest player in Chelsea history and is still a very good player and this board is filled with people who want to see him gone.

You do realise not every old player will be like Giggs, right? Comparing every future ageing Chelsea player to Giggs is just silly. What he has done does not happen very often. Much like Drogba is one of a kind, so is Ryan Giggs.

Modric will go to chelsea if abramovich gets his wallet out.

Modric to madrid rumours have been media inspired, and even more so from modric him self, as several friends of his have stated something about la liga or something.

Real Madrid have showed no interest yet, when we get someone it will be a sure swoop deal, as with callejon and sahin, and varane. No controversy.

The rumors continue:

Tottenham could land Sahin in return as Real Madrid prepare £30m swoop for Modric

What you think of that?

You do realise not every old player will be like Giggs, right? Comparing every future ageing Chelsea player to Giggs is just silly. What he has done does not happen very often. Much like Drogba is one of a kind, so is Ryan Giggs.

That's absolute nonsense. I compared Lampard to Giggs and Scholes by showing how top players can remain very productive well into their mid to late 30's. Lampard is an elite level player, maybe the best midfielder in Premier League history, there's no reason to believe that he's suddenly going to be useless . Lampard was very good last year playing 49 games, so what is your basis for thinking that he's suddenly not good enough to play regularly? Your logic is basically "well, he's 34 so he's going to be bad, so let's go out and spend 25 million on somebody new". This exactly the same "let's just go out and buy players because it's fun" crap. It's not only ridiculous in football terms, it's treating the best player in Chelsea history who is still a good player like garbage because you want a shiny new toy.

The rumors continue:

Tottenham could land Sahin in return as Real Madrid prepare £30m swoop for Modric

What you think of that?

Im not going to read it because its not necessary, i just don't think that nuri sahin is at such a status at real madrid right now. He was bought because he was considered a world class player in many regards, and we will give him his chance. What many fail to realise is that even if modric rumors are true, that doesnt mean bad for sahin as he plays different position and has different competition. I still dont really take the modric possibility TOO seriously, but if it happens i dont see sahin leaving, atleast not like that.

That's absolute nonsense. I compared Lampard to Giggs and Scholes by showing how top players can remain very productive well into their mid to late 30's. Lampard is an elite level player, maybe the best midfielder in Premier League history, there's no reason to believe that he's suddenly going to be useless . Lampard was very good last year playing 49 games, so what is your basis for thinking that he's suddenly not good enough to play regularly? Your logic is basically "well, he's 34 so he's going to be bad, so let's go out and spend 25 million on somebody new". This exactly the same "let's just go out and buy players because it's fun" crap. It's not only ridiculous in football terms, it's treating the best player in Chelsea history who is still a good player like garbage because you want a shiny new toy.

I never said anything about not playing regularly. I simply said he will not play on untill he is Giggs' age and very few will. You're being very assumptive aren't you :rolleyes: Lampard can still play around 35-40 games.

BTW the 49 games, you surely not counting the AVB games?

Cause he was useless when he play in his normal role!

It was when RDM put in the double pivot role as a deep lying playmaker when he shined.

Because Lampard no longer had the stamina to play the Lampard of old.

Similar to Giggs at United.

But then that's the problem for United. They settle with just Giggs cause he could played that role, that they did not spend money on some younger player like Sneijder.

What chelsea obviously needs simply put is to have a footballistic plan on how to organize its future. I saw a post of yours describing your dissapointment in how some fans and people overall can be too brash with their decisions when it comes to buying a player, all the money involved, etc, and ( the following is nothing new just common sense) you need a good balance of everything and its hard to find, chelsea had a winning mold constructed ever since ages like 2005, lampard is getting old and you will need a new starlet, great player worthy enough to take his place, but all in due time, whether it be homegrown or bought, thats another dimension in it self.

About lampard, its irrelevent for me his status as a player considering the context in which you state him, hes getting old and chelsea does nothing wrong in thinking in the future which they must. In an appropriate manner of course.

Im not going to read it because its not necessary, i just don't think that nuri sahin is at such a status at real madrid right now. He was bought because he was considered a world class player in many regards, and we will give him his chance. What many fail to realise is that even if modric rumors are true, that doesnt mean bad for sahin as he plays different position and has different competition. I still dont really take the modric possibility TOO seriously, but if it happens i dont see sahin leaving, atleast not like that.

I see what you trying to say.

So then what about other players you guys have.

Is Canales, Granero, Altintop, Callejon, Diarra going to be sold?

Or maybe form of some type interchange?

I was thinking yesterday that maybe lass could be given to tottenham as i had heard rumors of him going there but who knows, lets take it to the primeria liga thread if you have questions, this thread is about modric. Ill quote your question there.

Dont Valencia not have Canales on a two year loan with the option to buy?

About lampard, its irrelevent for me his status as a player considering the context in which you state him, hes getting old and chelsea does nothing wrong in thinking in the future which they must. In an appropriate manner of course.

It does matter to some extent. You have to treat legends with some respect. That said, you can't play someone simply because they are a legend. Certainly, long-term, Chelsea need to replace Lampard long-term, but long-term doesn't mean now. Next season perhaps maybe even 2 seasons down the road. Ideally, they'd have an understudy ready to be able to play 20 games this season and gradually learn to take over, but unfortunately, that's not generally Chelsea's way. And the "Lampard was useless" under AVB is just nonsense. He certainly wasn't as good, but he had 12 goals and 5 assists and generally still set up a large number of Chelsea's chances when AVB was coach. He had a couple of bad stretched and the media got on him as being "done" which they like to do. Also, all the AVB fanboys who thought he was some kind of Messiah, blamed Lampard for everything and started seeing every mistake he made while being willfully blind to the class he brought. Yes, he was better playing deeper and a lot of that has to do with having to run less. Overall, according to PPI, Lampard was the 12th best midfielder in the Premier League last season and the 22nd best overall player behind only Mata and Terry at Chelsea. He still has more to give.

It does matter to some extent. You have to treat legends with some respect. That said, you can't play someone simply because they are a legend. Certainly, long-term, Chelsea need to replace Lampard long-term, but long-term doesn't mean now. Next season perhaps maybe even 2 seasons down the road. Ideally, they'd have an understudy ready to be able to play 20 games this season and gradually learn to take over, but unfortunately, that's not generally Chelsea's way. And the "Lampard was useless" under AVB is just nonsense. He certainly wasn't as good, but he had 12 goals and 5 assists and generally still set up a large number of Chelsea's chances when AVB was coach. He had a couple of bad stretched and the media got on him as being "done" which they like to do. Also, all the AVB fanboys who thought he was some kind of Messiah, blamed Lampard for everything and started seeing every mistake he made while being willfully blind to the class he brought. Yes, he was better playing deeper and a lot of that has to do with having to run less. Overall, according to PPI, Lampard was the 12th best midfielder in the Premier League last season and the 22nd best overall player behind only Mata and Terry at Chelsea. He still has more to give.

In the end chelsea has to do whats best for it self, while ideally keeping respect for its players. If lampard becomes a liability or dispensable under a certain context then he should be benched. Its all in his hands then.

BTW the 49 games, you surely not counting the AVB games?

Cause he was useless when he play in his normal role!

It was when RDM put in the double pivot role as a deep lying playmaker when he shined.

Because Lampard no longer had the stamina to play the Lampard of old.

Similar to Giggs at United.

But then that's the problem for United. They settle with just Giggs cause he could played that role, that they did not spend money on some younger player like Sneijder.

Agreed!

I dont know the rules about how the english system works, but is it that if modric sends in a transfer request, the club cant say no?

If so then its the correct time for chelsea to pounce at full swing if interested right?

Ballague stated that his sources tell him that he has all but finalized a deal with madrid in personal terms, sounds a bit incredibule as its debatable on how true this can be, but its called a rumor for good reason, and ballague isnt known for publishing some of the worst, quite the contrary.

http://www.guillembalague.com/blog_desp.php?titulo=Madrid%20in%20contact%20with%20Modric,%20but%20United%20and%20Chelsea%20monitoring%20situation&id=658

Who knows, we arguably have good relations after the van der vaart signing, we also could send lass in the transfer exchange as well, or granero as i see mourinho having no problem by sending a very similar player of less quality in exchange for an acm who can play as a cm, with much more quality and not much to lose.

If mourinho wants him, 70 percent chance he gets him. Mourinho doesnt make too many tactical mistakes if any when it comes to serious team building. There are other factors which you can read about in the article by ballague him self if your interested.

But apparently, we are Pole Position, and will be if interested, theres no argument other than modric wanting a more secure chance of starting and wanting to stay in the epl which i can call concrete to say other wise. Madrid will pay more to all parties in any case.

Stating facts regarding modric's possibilities.

As soon as i even saw sahins name there, the article turns invalid. Balague is far more credible than the english version of marca.

Rumors are rumors though, balague is far more trust worthy with what he says though. I recommend you visit his blog if interested.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You