Luka Modric

DavidEU

Good argument, but playing Mikel and Lamps in that midfield 2 is essentially the same as playing Modric and Mikel in that midfield 2.

No, its not the same. Lampard is a better defender than Modric, and if you didnt saw it when Lamps played in his regular position along the years, you sure had to see that in the last few months of the season when he played in that double pivot position with Mikel. You cannot compare their defensive skills, their experience, and most of all their character. With all the respect to Luka.

I think Mikel and Ramires together regularly would be a disaster. You need to have good ball movement and creativity from the deep lying midfielders and neither Ramires or Mikel is remotely capable of playing that role. You need someone who can get the ball from the defense to the attackers and who can spring the counter-attack with intelligence. Can you see Ramires or Mikel playing a long ball to Hazard as he streak down the wing? Can you see them playing a 30 yard beautiful through-ball to Mata coming through the middle? Not a chance. So, what you'd have instead is Mata coming back deep to get the ball which would in effect turn the 4-2-3-1 into a 4-3-2-1.I think Lampard backed by Meireles makes the most sense if Chelsea play that system.

I think the need for a deep lying playmaker next to Mikel reduces when you have Hazard, Mata and Hulk (?) in front of them. If we need a more direct threat I think it could work. Personal opinion though.

I do realise that Rambo isn't as good in possession, but what I would personally like to see is Mikel stepping up as a Xabi Alonso type player. Ancelotti tried turning Mikel into his Pirlo, we started to see Mikel spraying accurate 30 yard passes, almost being the lynchpin of the team, the quarterback. Add Ramires to aiding Mikel in winning the ball back, sort of like Gattuso, whilst offering carrying the ball at pace and you could have a quite lethal midfield combo. Sort of like how the Mascherano and Xabi Alonso partnership panned out.

Regarding Mata... He would do exactly that. I don't think Mata needs 30 yard passes from our midfield to run on to, that's his job more than anything, to provide those through balls for Torres or Sturridge, or even potentialy Hulk coming in from the right. So would Hazard in a sense. They could both in turns drop a little deep to gather the ball in attack just like David Silva did quite often for City which in turn could release Rambo to join the attack which offers pace and diversity in attack.

We must also remember that tactics aren't necessarily set in stone, they are a mere indication of general shape of the team. One would similarly wonder how Man City make the below team work:

Tevez

Nasri Aguero Silva

Toure Barry

Similarly we could have:

Torres

Hazard Mata Hulk(?)

Ramires Mikel

It could work in my opinion. It offers tactical flexibility, a combative midfield, and pace all over the pitch.

I see what you mean though. If we needed to slow the game down a little more and keep possession more effectively, we start Lampard instead of Ramires. It would be hard to devise a system but if RDM could find a way to incorporate that sort of idea I think it could work a treat.

No, its not the same. Lampard is a better defender than Modric, and if you didnt saw it when Lamps played in his regular position along the years, you sure had to see that in the last few months of the season when he played in that double pivot position with Mikel. You cannot compare their defensive skills, their experience, and most of all their character. With all the respect to Luka.

I agree, Lamps defensive contribution is often underrated, but Luka isn't too shabby either. Lampard offers more defensively, but Luka would offer more in terms of fluidity to the team. Both would essentially perform the same role though.

I agree, Lamps defensive contribution is often underrated, but Luka isn't too shabby either. Lampard offers more defensively, but Luka would offer more in terms of fluidity to the team. Both would essentially perform the same role though.

Says nothing.

I do realise that Rambo isn't as good in possession, but what I would personally like to see is Mikel stepping up as a Xabi Alonso type player. Ancelotti tried turning Mikel into his Pirlo, we started to see Mikel spraying accurate 30 yard passes, almost being the lynchpin of the team, the quarterback..

Are you serious? Mikel is certainly no Pirlo, his distribution is poor at best, well unless your talking side ways or backwards.

I think Romeu could be the answer to the problem. He makes space and is always looking to receive the ball and set the tempo. He uses the ball well and perhaps more importantly quickly, which enables us to break faster. All to often I'm stuck at a match watching our slow and predictable build up whilst the opposition get back into position.

Anyways I believe modric could play in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, and let's remember it's a long season, player are going to be rested and tactics changed. Plenty of room for him in our midfield if you ditch the deadwood.

Are you serious? Mikel is certainly no Pirlo, his distribution is poor at best, well unless your talking side ways or backwards.

I think Romeu could be the answer to the problem.

Stopped reading there. To say Mikel doesn't try enough of those passes is something else, but to say his "long range" passing is poor is bewildering. To then say Romeu could be the answer instead is again quite laughable.

Don't want to go off topic as this is the Modric thread and don't want it to turn into one of them Romeu/Mikel debates so we'll just have to leave it there and agree to disagree.

The fact is we need a cm who can link up defence and attack , we can go with defensive cm like javi martinez or an more attacking one in modric BUT we need a cm who can link up play otherwise we will face a problem that when we have the ball the team will be divided into 2 parts with the likes of mata , hazard , torres high up the pitch will have to come deep to take the ball making the play slow and predictable and teams will be able to defend against us . Mikel did well in the season end when we played without the ball and defended when we have the ball he takes too long on the ball and has also been found out a no of times . If i had to choose i would like javi martinez or cabaye .

What a player! now that he has finished with the euro's expect the race for Modric to step up now! i hope Roman watched him today! such a quality player! he would be amazing at Chelsea!

Hi Luka.

You're probably not reading this as you've just finished a game, but if you're on your iPhone and happen to be browsing -

Remember when you nearly joined us last year? You should have tried harder and forced the deal.

We won the Champions League, F.A. Cup AND won a place in the Champions League for next season.

You have none of these things, and you potentially could have had all 3.

uJelly?

:Goober:

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You