Luka Modric

DavidEU

Saying that it is a step up isn't arrogant, but you almost implied that Hazard will have to change his playing style to be more defensive in England. I was probably reading too much into it but this is the line that bothered me 'Players know if they come to the PL, they have to work for the team', so players in other leageus don't work for their teams?

I never said anything about Chelsea not having hardmen, I was saying that since Arsenal lacked hardmen they failed. My main gripe was that having Modric in the double pivot is too attack minded and would end up being cut top pieces with a concise counter. Modric and Mikel wouldn't be viable cover for such an offensive line up. Mata doesn't track back very much anyway even when he does his challenges are rather sheepish. You must remember how easily Barcelona and Arsenal conceed on the counter, I'm not saying that Chelsea will play in the exact same way but an overly offensive line up can and will lead to disaster. I can just see the 5-3 against Arsenal happening again if Modric is played in a deep role. Don't forget that Tottenham wore torn to shreds against Manchester City and Arsenal (and Chelsea) last season, I'm not comparing Chelsea's and Tottenham's quality but the offensive and 'attractive' style of football can be dangerous. Against bottom half teams I would support this style but against the stonger sides it would be suicide.

As I said earlier Modric would be more suited to a 4-3-3 formation where he allowed to take on the 'Iniesta' role. 4-2-3-1 just seems to flimsy for an overly offensive team. I feel that the double pivot has to be overly defensive for it to work. I'm not sold on Ramires in the double pivot either, his passing is kind of really bad.

Totally agree.

Modric would be most effective in a 3-man midfield at Chelsea.

I think if we stick with the 4-2-3-1...Ramires will have to play RW.

Most effective lineup next season (not including any potential transfers):

Cech

Ivan---Terry (Luiz)---Cahill---Cole

Mikel--Lamps

Ramires (Marin)----Mata-----Hazard

Torres (Sturridge)

So, which is better?

--Mata-----Torres-----Hazard--

-----Ramires------Modric-----

--------------Mikel-------------

Or

------------Torres----------

---Hazard--Mata--Marin--

-----Modric------Mikel-----

IMO In the 4-3-3 Mata and Hazard may have a little less influence. Plus having that 3 man supply line in the 4-2-3-1 would help Torres more. In the 4-3-3 Ramires would start as he can defend and also his running and break aways would be great. I think Modric can play the double pivot role. Admittedly the 4-3-3 formation is more balanced but the 4-2-3-1 has more potency and creativity.

So, which is better?

Or

---Hazard--Mata--Marin--

IMO In the 4-3-3 Mata and Hazard may have a little less influence. Plus having that 3 man supply line in the 4-2-3-1 would help Torres more. In the 4-3-3 Ramires would start as he can defend and also his running and break aways would be great. I think Modric can play the double pivot role. Admittedly the 4-3-3 formation is more balanced but the 4-2-3-1 has more potency and creativity.

Neither...Modric is still a Spurs player. :P

So, which is better?

Or

---Hazard--Mata--Marin--

neither.

---Hazard--Mata--Ramires--

that is the best, most effective and well balanced line up. imo.

Interesting quotes from Bilic (if true) saying Modric is close to agreeing a move to Spain. Has to be Madrid, surely?

http://www1.skysport...es-Modric-claim

Yep, every other source says that Real Madrid is the destination.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/england/story/paper-chase-jun-18-luka-modric-tottenham-midfielder-real-madrid-061812-

Interesting quotes from Bilic (if true) saying Modric is close to agreeing a move to Spain. Has to be Madrid, surely?

Could be Malaga..you never know..they got a Qatari president..plenty of cash to splash around, they need quality players & they are in the UCL qualifying stages next season.

Oh... finaly someone who gets it.

People need to understand that when you have that front 4, which basicly cant realy defend (exept Mata), you got to have

strong defense, and a very storng defensive midfield. Thats if you want to win trophis off course, otherwise we can easily

turned into arsenal or spurs. We should keep playing Mikel and Lamps.

Good argument, but playing Mikel and Lamps in that midfield 2 is essentially the same as playing Modric and Mikel in that midfield 2.

With the potential front 4 we'll have, I'd rather have Mikel and Ramires in that two. Ramires could perform his ball winning duties well with Mikel protecting the back four, whilst also aiding in counters.

Good argument, but playing Mikel and Lamps in that midfield 2 is essentially the same as playing Modric and Mikel in that midfield 2.

With the potential front 4 we'll have, I'd rather have Mikel and Ramires in that two. Ramires could perform his ball winning duties well with Mikel protecting the back four, whilst also aiding in counters.

I think Mikel and Ramires together regularly would be a disaster. You need to have good ball movement and creativity from the deep lying midfielders and neither Ramires or Mikel is remotely capable of playing that role. You need someone who can get the ball from the defense to the attackers and who can spring the counter-attack with intelligence. Can you see Ramires or Mikel playing a long ball to Hazard as he streak down the wing? Can you see them playing a 30 yard beautiful through-ball to Mata coming through the middle? Not a chance. So, what you'd have instead is Mata coming back deep to get the ball which would in effect turn the 4-2-3-1 into a 4-3-2-1.I think Lampard backed by Meireles makes the most sense if Chelsea play that system.

Alonso - Modric would be the same disaster people allude to here with him in our team.

I really don't see this for Madrid. Seems more like a vanity purchase then anything giving the amount of players they got.

A DM like Fellaini or Tiote would make sense for them giving that Khedira is not all that in RM.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You