The Next Manager?

13 hours ago, robsblubot said:

Possession style with this squad? That has to be the least possession-able roster I've seen in a long time.

Jorginho was a master passer, Kova was really good at avoiding the steal by dribbling and then at short passing. Then we had players on the wings who were good at joining the midfield for exactly that: provide passing opportunity. I know, unsexy, but not everything in the game is solved by a direct run at the opposition.

So, who would do the passing? I'm going to assume that it's quite obvious to all that it's not just the CMs who pass the ball in midfield--suffice to watch a football match once. So, we have Caicedo (average passer at best), Gallagher (average passer), Enzo (good passer perhaps not enough quality around him?), then Muddy & Madueke who are long range runners/poor passers very direct. Sterling is fairly direct as well, and passing was never his strongest suit.

No ball-playing CB other than the aging Thiago. Chilwell is a good passer when on form tho -- Cuccu not so much.

The only attacking player who's an excellent passer is Palmer; he has both the timing of the pass as well as vision to find the right one. Sorry, but it's just not enough to build a team around it.

I think you are being excessively harsh on our squad. I guess you don't consider Colwill a good passer either?

2 hours ago, Mhsc said:

I think you are being excessively harsh on our squad. I guess you don't consider Colwill a good passer either?

He is. Caicedo had the best possession retention metrics in the league only behind Rodri last season. 

Edited by MoroccanBlue

6 hours ago, Mhsc said:

I dislike this squad and think it's extremely imbalanced, overly young, and lacks skill (like there was an over emphasis on physicality in detriment of skill).
That does not apply to the post you quoted tho, because that's specifically talking about one characteristic: possession. You can have good players, a good squad, which would be better or worse at passing and retaining possession.

Colwill is a decent/good passer and may become a quality one in the future; it once again goes into "right now" vs potential. I'm really talking about numbers/the roster here, not so much individuals. How many good passers our squad have vs any other of the top teams for example. 
Heck we don't even have attackers like Diaz who can spin around, dribble and retain possession. 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

He is. Caicedo had the best possession retention metrics in the league only behind Rodri last season. 

Like I said above, I'm talking about the collective characteristics of the squad, not of a single player.
Heh, Caicedo and Rodri have nothing in common to my eyes. Also, what Caicedo did at Brighton may have mattered at the time we were signing him, but not anymore.
He now has enough games for us already to know what to expect from him, at least short term. He can, and should, improve as he gains experience, but my analysis of him is from what I see on the pitch, and his passing has been laborious to say the least.

Edited by robsblubot

2 hours ago, Vytis33 said:

What a depressing list 

What better way to get rid of Poch than try to hire one of his triplet brothers who are just as shit.

Edited by TheHulk

Whoever our next manager is it has to be a proven, serial winner. No one with a promising football brand but no credentials like the three above, some fluke singular title winner and or someone who only did it in a one team league. 

1 hour ago, Magic Lamps said:

Whoever our next manager is it has to be a proven, serial winner. No one with a promising football brand but no credentials like the three above, some fluke singular title winner and or someone who only did it in a one team league. 

I hate to break it to you, but I'm sure that's exactly who it will be. The board loves "exciting prospects" and seems to completely ignore the here & now in their thinking.

There was talk about us being linked to Nagelsmann again. Enough of this project nonsense; it is becoming embarrassing.

2 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

And who would that be?

Available manager with some serious pedigree = Mourinho, Tuchel, Zidane, Conte. Should we even try to power rank which one would be the biggest disaster? I don't really see anyone available in the summer who we can label as "serial winner".

We either stick with Poch or give chance to some young / coming-from-outside trainer.

Thiago Motta has done such a great job at Bologna, currently on track for CL football. Seen rumors of him taking the Juventus job, but he would be my #1 choice, prefer Alonso and Xavi but they are either staying or taking a break next season. 

Motta is modern coach, great football and outstanding with relationship with players.

No one elite manager will colaborate with this failed project . Any top coach will want elite players but these clowns dont have intention to winning so Thomas Frank after  he relegation with Brentford will come to the Bridge .This is our level now .

21 hours ago, nyikolajevics said:

And who would that be?

Available manager with some serious pedigree = Mourinho, Tuchel, Zidane, Conte. Should we even try to power rank which one would be the biggest disaster? I don't really see anyone available in the summer who we can label as "serial winner".

We either stick with Poch or give chance to some young / coming-from-outside trainer.

Hansi Flick?

On 15/04/2024 at 18:28, Mário César said:

if we dont get any world class manager, its prefer to stay woth poch at least one more season

The only manager I will get over Poch this summer is Alonso. What he has done at Leverkusen is close to what Kloop did with Dortmund. He seems like the next big thing. 

If you can get him it's worthwhile disrupting the momentum we are building right now with Poch. 

Otherwise yes let's continue with Poch as we are on the up after hitting bottom this season, something we didn't see last season. 

44 minutes ago, Fernando said:

The only manager I will get over Poch this summer is Alonso. What he has done at Leverkusen is close to what Kloop did with Dortmund. He seems like the next big thing. 

If you can get him it's worthwhile disrupting the momentum we are building right now with Poch. 

Otherwise yes let's continue with Poch as we are on the up after hitting bottom this season, something we didn't see last season. 

What momentum ?We are 9th in the table.  Poch is never going to win fuckall , we need a winner not a loser 

3 hours ago, lucio said:

What momentum ?We are 9th in the table.  Poch is never going to win fuckall , we need a winner not a loser 

We are on the up and I expect to finish the season strong. 

Despite last season that we finish woeful. 

So I see that as momentum.