The Next Manager?

On 08/03/2024 at 03:28, lucio said:

What qualified poch for the job ? He was the only candidate desperate enough to take it.

The only thing that Poch had was working with a young group of players and developing them like his previous stints in the PL. 

Will be interesting to see what they do at the end of the season as I feel like we'll either stick with Poch or continue the Brighton fantasy and get De Zerbi 😆

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Would prefer him over Amorim and De Zerbi. I think he has done outstanding job at Barca.

I am fine with him as well, but I highly doubt he would come here.

10 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I am fine with him as well, but I highly doubt he would come here.

Yeah probably.

Amorim imo style is very direct, i think he would be a better fit at Pool. De Zerbi fits the profile of this squad much better, but i don't know if he can elevate this squad mentality.

On 19/03/2024 at 11:50, bluesman2610 said:

I think both these sets of tactics would suit our players

De Zerbi yes. Not so sure about Amorim as he likes playing with attacking mids v wingers. 

Probably controversial but honestly think Sarri would be amazing with this squad... He plays a clear, consistent system they would learn and just deploy. Enzo and Cole Palmer would be phenomenal under him. He was a bit frustrating last time but he had a very ill-fitting squad and had to rely on Hazard to carry the team. Think he would really love this group and his clear and strict system would be good for a group of inexperienced kids to just learn and play imo.

1 hour ago, Mhsc said:

Probably controversial but honestly think Sarri would be amazing with this squad... He plays a clear, consistent system they would learn and just deploy. Enzo and Cole Palmer would be phenomenal under him. He was a bit frustrating last time but he had a very ill-fitting squad and had to rely on Hazard to carry the team. Think he would really love this group and his clear and strict system would be good for a group of inexperienced kids to just learn and play imo.

You complained about Poch quote of 3 to 5 years process but Sarri is exactly the type of manager who needs a couple of years. 

10 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

You complained about Poch quote of 3 to 5 years process but Sarri is exactly the type of manager who needs a couple of years. 

1-2 years and a few transfer windows is about right, but during the journey you expect to see a progression as the players learn a system, a clear philosophy of the manager, and you just have that feeling that over time you're just going to get better and better after a few targeted signings.

My main beef with Poch's quote is that he is washing his hands of ALL responsibility and accountability and fobbing us off that we have to wait a totally unrealistic amount of time to be able to outscore Sheffield United, who are on -52 GD. 

25 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Poch will still be shit after 5 years 

With Sarri you could at least say we'd be controlling matches far better. Not this ridiculous 100mph back and forth football we are seeing which leaves so many gaps in our midfield. 

6 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

With Sarri you could at least say we'd be controlling matches far better. Not this ridiculous 100mph back and forth football we are seeing which leaves so many gaps in our midfield. 

We had that and all people did was moan.

It was “boring” although under him our build up sequences and combinations were the best they’d been for years.

Not to mention we would actually be able to play through a press pretty easily with Sarri as that last 4 months things really started looking promising. But I am not surprised he left either way, for whatever reason be it he wanted to go to Italy or Juventus or whatever, when your fans are protesting and turning on you like they ddi with him - why stay?

Still always wonder what he would of done with Mason, Reece, Tammy, Fikayo in the squad because they certainly would of fitted his philosophy and that team. Then the likes of Werner, Ziyech & Chilwell the following season.

Possession style with this squad? That has to be the least possession-able roster I've seen in a long time.

Jorginho was a master passer, Kova was really good at avoiding the steal by dribbling and then at short passing. Then we had players on the wings who were good at joining the midfield for exactly that: provide passing opportunity. I know, unsexy, but not everything in the game is solved by a direct run at the opposition.

So, who would do the passing? I'm going to assume that it's quite obvious to all that it's not just the CMs who pass the ball in midfield--suffice to watch a football match once. So, we have Caicedo (average passer at best), Gallagher (average passer), Enzo (good passer perhaps not enough quality around him?), then Muddy & Madueke who are long range runners/poor passers very direct. Sterling is fairly direct as well, and passing was never his strongest suit.

No ball-playing CB other than the aging Thiago. Chilwell is a good passer when on form tho -- Cuccu not so much.

The only attacking player who's an excellent passer is Palmer; he has both the timing of the pass as well as vision to find the right one. Sorry, but it's just not enough to build a team around it.