Real Madrid 2-0 Chelsea

James

Reese Koulidaddy Wesley Chilly 

Sterling Enzo Kante Pulisic 

Kai.     Felix 

4-4-2 might actually be decent for us. Probably one of the more balanced formations….because we suck. 

8 hours ago, robsblubot said:

Please let's not make Badiashile more than he is at the moment. He's got potential, but he's hardly going to matter at this level. I actually prefer Cucu doing "an Aspi" on the left given his speed to close down whoever gets behind Chilwell.

I'd go back to basics and run a disruptive lineup at home and away: that's how you beat better teams. Gert Mount and Kante (both depending on fitness) to disrupt their movement. Pick one between Felix and Kai -- would prob start with Kai and replace him with Felix later (more more mobility vs tired legs).

It's going to be difficult either way, but we can improve our odds by picking the right strategy.

He's shown he's far more reliable than Koulibaly and Cucurella (whose only decent game is the Dortmund home leg)

1 hour ago, Strike said:

He's shown he's far more reliable than Koulibaly and Cucurella (whose only decent game is the Dortmund home leg)

Dortmund was one the better teams we faced (good result too), different opposition and conditions, and I'm not even talking about consistency as it matters little now (better opposition tests limits, not consistency).

I just don't see Badiashile ready to play at this level. I do see promise, but not someone who can deliver at the highest stage that is.

Reminder that my original point wasn't even that one is superior to the other, but rather that the difference isn't what people are making it out to be. And on top of that I like Cucurella's pace for this particular matchup.... in fact wish he could play on the right side. 😉 

7 hours ago, robsblubot said:

Dortmund was one the better teams we faced (good result too), different opposition and conditions, and I'm not even talking about consistency as it matters little now (better opposition tests limits, not consistency).

I just don't see Badiashile ready to play at this level. I do see promise, but not someone who can deliver at the highest stage that is.

Reminder that my original point wasn't even that one is superior to the other, but rather that the difference isn't what people are making it out to be. And on top of that I like Cucurella's pace for this particular matchup.... in fact wish he could play on the right side. 😉 

Even if Cucurella should start for this one, the idea of having only one real CB in the back 3 would be a disaster.

Hopefully Silva becomes fit by some miracle, but even then he would be lacking a month of match fitness.

1 hour ago, Blue Armour said:

Even if Cucurella should start for this one, the idea of having only one real CB in the back 3 would be a disaster.

Hopefully Silva becomes fit by some miracle, but even then he would be lacking a month of match fitness.

Can't argue with that. Why would we play with Azpi *and* Cucurella? I mean I hope Azpi sits for this one.

Vinicius will demand someone with pace to cover Reece's runs tho even if we pin Reece at the back (which would be a waste).

Edited by robsblubot

If we actually show up and try to take them head on rather than act like scared pussies who are psychologically beaten before a ball is kicked we can hurt them. A fit Kante and a fit Thiago Silva give us a chance.

Not sure where a goal is going to come from but we should be able to at least put up a fight in midfield.

6 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Last time around Real had a field day with their lobbed crosses. Our CBs couldn't cope with it. 

Imagine that with only 1 CB in our lineup.

Genius move to leave out Badiashile. For two wingers, none of whom are likely to start a game.

42 minutes ago, Pizy said:

If we actually show up and try to take them head on rather than act like scared pussies who are psychologically beaten before a ball is kicked we can hurt them. A fit Kante and a fit Thiago Silva give us a chance.

Not sure where a goal is going to come from but we should be able to at least put up a fight in midfield.

im confident if we start with a back 3

but tbh even if we pass real, I don't believe that we can win against city 

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

Don't think anyone is suggesting not having ambition, but you've got to handle better opposition smarty. Underdog stories rarely ever include flamboyant attacking teams.

They are better and are in better form than we are. We have managerial problems, gaping holes in the team, and I'd like to add a fitness deficit too (the best teams run more than we do). Not acknowledging this just makes it easier for Real.

Disrupt their play. Do some high press--which we haven't been able to do all season--this time, or we will lose. Let them walk with the football up to midfield and then feed their wingers, and the ball will eventually reach Benzema. It's that simple.