Real Madrid 2-0 Chelsea

James

12 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Real Madrid are much more beatable than City or Bayern are in my opinion.

Exactly. This is why I keep saying it’s naive to dream of another UCL trophy. Even if we get past Madrid, we still have a semifinal to play against City or Bayern, before getting into the final.

If we had to play any of those in the final, anything would be possible, just like in 2012 and 2021. But getting past any of them in two legs? With this spirit, this squad and this manager? No way. 

12 hours ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Our attackers haven't been up for it the whole season, not sure how they'll suddenly flick a switch and turn it on against Madrid. 

If they don't win by 2+ goals, I'll be surprised.   They got past Liverpool quite easily, wonder how much fun they'll have against Koulibaly, Cucurella and co. 

They didn't fair too badly in our last CL outing, so I can only hope that will be enough motivation.

1 hour ago, Laylabelle said:

We have attackers?

I've heard one or two have been spotted.

Like @DDA mentioned, the biggest problem we face out our end is if Lampard decides to show his footballing arrogance and puts out a lineup that harms us.

If he's humble enough and recognizes what had worked in the recent past, and if the players are fully up for it (possible because it's CL), then we have a chance here.

8 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

Like @DDA mentioned, the biggest problem we face out our end is if Lampard decides to show his footballing arrogance and puts out a lineup that harms us.

If he's humble enough and recognizes what had worked in the recent past, and if the players are fully up for it (possible because it's CL), then we have a chance here.

I'd like to think that Lampard viewed the Wolves game as an opportunity to go back to a back 4 to see if that would make a difference in our attacking play.

He's played a back 3 at stages of his managerial career, including here, so I don't see any reason why he wouldn't revert back to that for the Madrid game. Especially away from home, keep it tight, give ourselves a chance by taking the tie back to the Bridge.

The only issue with the back 3 with Silva injured and Badiashile unavailable is there's limited options for that backline which means Cucurella is likely, and he could be a serious weak link against that Madrid attack.

1 hour ago, Superblue said:

I'd like to think that Lampard viewed the Wolves game as an opportunity to go back to a back 4 to see if that would make a difference in our attacking play.

He's played a back 3 at stages of his managerial career, including here, so I don't see any reason why he wouldn't revert back to that for the Madrid game. Especially away from home, keep it tight, give ourselves a chance by taking the tie back to the Bridge.

The only issue with the back 3 with Silva injured and Badiashile unavailable is there's limited options for that backline which means Cucurella is likely, and he could be a serious weak link against that Madrid attack.

Leaving Badiashile out of the CL squad was a colossal mistake.

Stunning that people paid millions couldn't see what even armchair football experts could see coming with our injury crisis at CB.

7 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

Leaving Badiashile out of the CL squad was a colossal mistake.

Stunning that people paid millions couldn't see what even armchair football experts could see coming with our injury crisis at CB.

Plenty on here saw this coming. One of the several miscalculations this year. The only reason Badiashile is not starting in the league is because he's not in the CL squad I think

Lampard played 4-3-3 against Wolves and gave them possession of the midfield, especially in the first half when Wolves was pressing.
Against Real this can be disastrous because they are more skilled.
A 3-5-2 formation is better, or rather whatever system TT used last year.
Our hope is that their slow defense will be vulnerable to counterattacks.

5 minutes ago, cosmicway said:

Lampard played 4-3-3 against Wolves and gave them possession of the midfield, especially in the first half when Wolves was pressing.
Against Real this can be disastrous because they are more skilled.
A 3-5-2 formation is better, or rather whatever system TT used last year.
Our hope is that their slow defense will be vulnerable to counterattacks.

But who will score for us? 😂

Please let's not make Badiashile more than he is at the moment. He's got potential, but he's hardly going to matter at this level. I actually prefer Cucu doing "an Aspi" on the left given his speed to close down whoever gets behind Chilwell.

I'd go back to basics and run a disruptive lineup at home and away: that's how you beat better teams. Gert Mount and Kante (both depending on fitness) to disrupt their movement. Pick one between Felix and Kai -- would prob start with Kai and replace him with Felix later (more more mobility vs tired legs).

It's going to be difficult either way, but we can improve our odds by picking the right strategy.