Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

19 minutes ago, Strike said:

English boomer thinking. Not surprised at all.

It is still a disaster waiting to happen - Declan Rice signed for 80-100m at the end of all this.

You just know that is exactly what will happen and Liverpool or City will glend up getting Enzo.

Fuck life.

It is really something when you have verbally discussed a price, you have a player agitating for a move and still don't close the deal. The club will come out with word through journos that 'they won't be held to ransom' but I wonder who they will target for the midfield now? Even a Moises Caicedo is being quoted at 60-70m and looks like a tough deal to pull off too. This alignment of stars may not happen again with Enzo

12 minutes ago, Strike said:

English boomer thinking. Not surprised at all.

It is still a disaster waiting to happen - Declan Rice signed for 80-100m at the end of all this.

that was a poor take by the other poster, Law didn't say those things

The transfers we are being linked with is worrying a bit. It seems that Boehly is targeting young players without any approval of Potter and just planning to lump them all in one squad. We are now seemingly after Mudryk whose best position is on the LW. Then if Arsenal don't meet Shakhtar's offer and we end up signing him, are we then going to try and sign Leao in the summer who is also a LW. We bought Bashadille from Monaco which I am content with but also reports say we still are after Gvardiol. Then have we got a plan for Colwill still then? I hope the owner isn't just bidding for players for the sake of it.

Also if we don't get Fernandez, hope we are not rash in buying CM just for sake of it. I don't believe MacAllister will join, but if we did go for him, I would be quite worried about us just buying the hottest topics. He is a very good player but does he actually improve the current team. Gallagher was brilliant at Palace last season and we have reintroduced him back into our squad, albeit he is struggling for starts. So now if we buy a player like him who is flourishing at Brighton then joins a bigger team and doesn't stand out, just adds to the problem.

If there is a plan for these players we are bidding for then I am happy but with likes of Nkunku joining and then we are bidding for Mudryk, is this with Potter's approval. Sterling hasn't hit the major heights yet, but his best position is also on the LW and he was a player we invested big money and wages into, so will have to work with him and ideally at his best position. 

34 minutes ago, Vesper said:

that is a poor framing of what he wrote

he never complains about not making a move for Rice, and he is only saying (about the cost of Enzo) it is surprising given our strong historical interest in Rice

Maybe I'm reading too much into it,  but he has been a known proponent of Chelsea going for Rice 

EDIT: note how he also mentions Potter's interest in Rice, and simultaneously questions Enzo's ability at a domestic level.

Anyway, agree to disagree. This stuff is not going to affect any transfer for Enzo.

Edited by Blue Armour

2 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

Maybe I'm reading too much into it,  but he has been a known proponent of Chelsea going for Rice 

he may well have in the past, I am not 100% sure of that, but he did not state that in that article now is all I am saying

9 minutes ago, Stats said:

The transfers we are being linked with is worrying a bit. It seems that Boehly is targeting young players without any approval of Potter and just planning to lump them all in one squad. We are now seemingly after Mudryk whose best position is on the LW. Then if Arsenal don't meet Shakhtar's offer and we end up signing him, are we then going to try and sign Leao in the summer who is also a LW. We bought Bashadille from Monaco which I am content with but also reports say we still are after Gvardiol. Then have we got a plan for Colwill still then? I hope the owner isn't just bidding for players for the sake of it.

Also if we don't get Fernandez, hope we are not rash in buying CM just for sake of it. I don't believe MacAllister will join, but if we did go for him, I would be quite worried about us just buying the hottest topics. He is a very good player but does he actually improve the current team. Gallagher was brilliant at Palace last season and we have reintroduced him back into our squad, albeit he is struggling for starts. So now if we buy a player like him who is flourishing at Brighton then joins a bigger team and doesn't stand out, just adds to the problem.

If there is a plan for these players we are bidding for then I am happy but with likes of Nkunku joining and then we are bidding for Mudryk, is this with Potter's approval. Sterling hasn't hit the major heights yet, but his best position is also on the LW and he was a player we invested big money and wages into, so will have to work with him and ideally at his best position. 

here is my list of the only acceptable wingers for me atm (and we really need a RWer above all else on the wing)

Right wingers

all 4 are having good to great seasons

Moussa Diaby (lefty)
Leroy Sané  (lefty) (if available)
Ousmane Dembélé (ambipedal)  (if available)
Khvicha Kvaratskhelia (ambipedal)  (if available)

then the one advanced youth

Karim Adeyemi (lefty) youth (hard pull as well, he renewed this summer until 2027)

then a player who is NOT at all ready to buy now

Federico Chiesa (if fully recovered) (mostly right footed but can player either wing, seems to prefer the RW)

Left wingers

Rafael Leão  (if available)

Mykhaylo Mudryk (like Leão, he is completely a right footed LW, those two are the only ones of the eight wingers listed who never play on the right, and Mudryk is the only one listed who has no Big 5 experience at all)

wild card perhaps

Nico Williams, who is a right footed RWer, but lately is playing on the LW

needs another year I think, to make a full call on whether to buy or not

Now we will see what our new recruitment department can deliver. It's a total waste to sign a player like Caicedo if we lack a type of player like Enzo. It would bring zero improved creativity if we were to pair Caicedo and Jorginho with Mount/Kova. 

It will haunt us for a long time that we blew the opportunity to sign Enzo.

To me since the takeover happened people (ITKs, journalists) seemed to claim they know more about what is going on with Chelsea transfers than ever before, which is why I think it may look all over the place at times. I mean who really knows what's really happening behind the scenes..  Whereas before you would not hear a peep about what's going on and then bam, it's suddenly done swiftly.

Also it seems like the shoe is on the other foot with Enzo. He does want to play for us, whereas before, Kounde, Rapinha and De Ligt choose other teams before us. So I don't blame us for trying to use it to our advantage and get the best possible deal out of it.

Anyways can't wait to hear an update from Orstein and what he has to say about the Enzo deal.

Edited by chelsea_4_eva

52 minutes ago, We Hate Scouse said:

- 120 million is too much, we're over spending

*Chelsea offer 85 million*

- Chelsea are a joke of a club, sack the board, embarrassing

Gotta love the toxicity, entitlement and fickleness of a Chelsea fan. 

Ultimately, we have no idea which contradictory journo is correct, but I for sure will wait and see what happens. The rest of you need to wind your necks in a little bit...

This. Don't really bother on here much anymore and the over the top reactionary dummy spitting is most of the reason. Can't believe how frantic its gets if a rumour of a transfer is announced one day and then isn't completed 3 days later. Just relax a bit and stop refreshing twitter every minute maybe. 

29 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

I understand the frustration, but the immaturity of some people here calling owner names, because after overpaying for everyone previous window he is not turbo keen on paying Belingham sort of money for an half-anonymous fella, who did well in 8 WC games is beyond me. 

We often say the board doesn't seem to learn, but some people aren't better. Not long since another Fernandes guy from Benfica was supposed to be worth all the money in the world to save us and now he is fighting for his place in Besikatas, just like most of those world saviours from year ago, who can't make bench in much worse teams now. I was literally abused when I was questioning who the hell is Raphinia, as he is certainly no Hazard, yet people were more then desperate with fact that he would change our team. Didn't change Barcelona too much so far, eh?

Enzo has a talent and right profile, but we need to be reasonable with transfers and seriously, he isn't making the team 5 times better the minute he leaves the plane.

Fans know no better but they are not the ones making decisions - Boehly and co are - and they need to face scrutiny. They have had a pretty long rope. They spent record figures in the summer and chased after many like Raphinha, Kounde, Kimpembe, De Ligt. How many of the signings they made are looking like they fit into their role? Koulibaly and Aubameyang could be moved on now and nobody would notice the difference. The team is still in the same level and results are worse since key players are injured.

Has the board learnt from the summer? They don't seem to have a clear plan for January. One week into the window and they've signed a third CB in six months, are chasing a 120m who shot to fame in the WC and a winger who is eager to go to Arsenal. I'd wait and watch but it is true we've spent weeks before the window opened and the first week of the window negotiating for Enzo Fernandez.

Compare that to Newcastle and their signings over last two windows. More sensible decisions even if there was only one seriously good pickup - Bruno Guimares. Others like Targett, Chirs Wood and Dan Burn are filling roles quite well and were relatively inexpensive.

12 minutes ago, Strike said:

Fans know no better but they are not the ones making decisions - Boehly and co are - and they need to face scrutiny. They have had a pretty long rope. They spent record figures in the summer and chased after many like Raphinha, Kounde, Kimpembe, De Ligt. How many of the signings they made are looking like they fit into their role? Koulibaly and Aubameyang could be moved on now and nobody would notice the difference. The team is still in the same level and results are worse since key players are injured.

Has the board learnt from the summer? They don't seem to have a clear plan for January. One week into the window and they've signed a third CB in six months, are chasing a 120m who shot to fame in the WC and a winger who is eager to go to Arsenal. I'd wait and watch but it is true we've spent weeks before the window opened and the first week of the window negotiating for Enzo Fernandez.

Compare that to Newcastle and their signings over last two windows. More sensible decisions even if there was only one seriously good pickup - Bruno Guimares. Others like Targett, Chirs Wood and Dan Burn are filling roles quite well and were relatively inexpensive.

I think it should be noted that we had no footballing department in place when the new owners were trying to make statement signings in the summer and that's probably what led to all those rejections. 

Now that we have some serious resources in place (one comes from the Leipzig model, the others from the Southampton & City model), you would expect to see improvements in the players that we are signing in future transfer windows. 

Getting the young fella from Monaco at CB feels like a solid pickup as we're reliant on a 38 year old veteran to save our defense game after game.  It's good to see that we are at least planning for the massive hole that Thiago Silva will leave behind in the near future as there is enough "talent" between the Monaco CB - Fofana - Colwill to build a solid back four.  

3 hours ago, We Hate Scouse said:

- 120 million is too much, we're over spending

*Chelsea offer 85 million*

- Chelsea are a joke of a club, sack the board, embarrassing

Gotta love the toxicity, entitlement and fickleness of a Chelsea fan. 

Ultimately, we have no idea which contradictory journo is correct, but I for sure will wait and see what happens. The rest of you need to wind your necks in a little bit...

People got excited thinking it was done because the player “was convinced” or it was heavily reported. Did think it would be too good to be true as these sort of deals are never easy. Plus lets be honest, if it were the summer, he would never even consider us so just seemed like a marriage of convenience more than anything as he wants to move now after the WC and we were the only ones willing to make an offer  (or it was perceived). 

Looks like the offer was always €85m but we apparently told Fernandez’s camp we would meet his release clause to agitate him to try pursue a move more forcefully ie. hand in a request/go on strike/whatever. Thinking him wanting to leave would lower Benfica’s price and it has backfired. Not surprised. They hold all the power and always have.

I’ve been skeptical of Boehly since he sacked Tuchel. The failed/prolonged recruitment of various footballing people, some of the things he suggested ie All Stars Games, the 443 stories, and more recently now the links to Mudryk who has heavily hinted at and apparently is closing in on a move to Arsenal after they have been pursuing him for best part of a year. He does seem amateur. I wont lie, I dislike how he’s operated so far. He is clueless.

But hes not dropped the ball re Enzo. The situation was always going to be a difficult one, I didn’t see us ever offering more than the release clause and getting anywhere due to how we would want to go about structuring payments. It was never going to benefit Benfica in the short term. Even more so being midseason, their still in the CL and the fact Benfica spent €30m on the player and have to pay so much to River Plate, the fee would have to be in one installation to make it viable for them just now. Unless we went and offered something stupid like £175-200m in instalments but I’d doubt that.

The signing of the Monaco CB also heavily hints at us not getting or pursuing the Croatian CB from Leipzig. So seems we've given up on him also. 

Edited by OneMoSalah