• Mount
    • Pulisic
    • Havertz
    • Werner
    • Kovacic (sub)
    • Ziyech (sub)
    • Abraham (sub)
    • Hudson-Odoi (sub)

Personally, I really do not know why we are playing 4231. That formation requires the players in the pivot to be tactically disciplined and strong in the tackle to work well. Jorgi and Kante aren't that. For me, just go with 433 as that formation allows Mount and Harvetz to play as No.8's or Mount even to move to a No.6 role which is probably where he will be effective as his best quality is pressing the ball and getting through the yards (or even James who I still maintain will become a CM before he is 24). Obviously, the No.4 position is a bit of an issue against sides that press high, but I really cannot handle Kante and Jorgi allow teams to run through them so much. 

As for the rest of the team, meh performance but happy to see some good defensive performances for Thiago, Mendy, James and Chilwell. As for Zouma he proved again he really isn't the right quality as again his lack of ability on the ball, clearance skills and reading of the game got him into trouble a couple of times. Personally, I rather AC as with Mendy in goal the need for Zouma's aerial ability isn't needed as much as when Kepa is there. 

This is not saying AC is great, but I rather him as he can actually pass the ball under pressure and has better positional sense. 

did not watch the game, but too many conclusions about players here. Yes I also think Mendy improves our defense tremendously, but the only point that I'm allowed to make today is this:

It's presumable that defending, and our defensive weakness have been discussed ad nauseam (externally and esp internally) for the past few days. So, what likely happened today was that all players put an additional focus on defensive tasks, especially considering the strength of the opposition. That would have affected our attacking output without a doubt, as well improved our defending.

The key is to find that so important balance: getting to a point where the defense line is well-protected without spending too much energy in defensive tasks. in football everybody defends and everybody attacks. A quick transition from the back can be the difference between winning and losing a match. We are just not there yet.

Like some have said, the opposition is strong, so not a terrible result even at home.

Nice to see we can defend if we want to. Very happy with the defensive performance. 

The attacking players will eventually click, there's too much quality for that not to happen. It will happen quicker if they are playing in the same formation/position for a couple of games. The quality is there, I have no doubt about Pulisic and Ziyech.  Remember they're both coming back from injuries, the defensive organisation just needs to keep on being solid like today.

#EndSARS

8 hours ago, Vesper said:

if Zouma is in it, that's is a fucked back 4

he almost fucked us 3 or 4 times again, like he did last game

I would rather see Reece at CB than him

he is the worst passing, ball playing CB who starts for us in ages

he has 2017–18 Burnley level written all over him (the year they finished 7th)

he is only good for a hit n hope low block goon side

I'm with you after last night i never want to see Zouma in our defence again, he was woeful.

Then there's Glen Hoddle saying on commentary how well the defence played, failed to mention Zouma was a complete fuck up.

The 2 worse central defenders are in the squad WTF is going on, what is the situation with Rudiger and Tomori?

Because i'd have either of them alongside Thiago.

Felt the only positive from yesterday's game was the clean sheet. 

In game management by Lampard was poor, with 5 subs available we could actually changed the strategy around the 70 mins mark and got in someone like Giroud for a physical presence & ariel threat. With loads of game coming up, we need to rest players ... Werner, Havertz, Mount, Kante have literally started in all games ... We dont a break down happening. 

6 hours ago, communicate said:

I didn't watch the game, is it similar to palace 1st half? 

No. Long story short, we were defensively solid all game but horrendous offensively, as proven by that xG graphic.

tbf not only were we offensively poor, Sevilla defended better than any side we have faced all year. We still managed to make a couple of decent openings and should have scored one of the Werner chances and the zouma header. If we become more clinical and keep the defensive solidity from today we should be fine.

I dont like how we always need to focus on the negative. Until now I would not have considered us capable to shut completely down an excellent side like Sevilla without completely parking the bus, playing just one DM. Everyone really put in a shift defensively, esp RJ marshalled Ocampos very well, whilst Chilwell covered upmost of Zouma's fuck ups. Maybe it is just me but I can see improvement even if it is just baby steps.

2 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

tbf not only were we offensively poor, Sevilla defended better than any side we have faced all year. We still managed to make a couple of decent openings and should have scored one of the Werner chances and the zouma header. If we become more clinical and keep the defensive solidity from today we should be fine.

I dont like how we always need to focus on the negative. Until now I would not have considered us capable to shut completely down an excellent side like Sevilla without completely parking the bus, playing just one DM. Everyone really put in a shift defensively, esp RJ marshalled Ocampos very well, whilst Chilwell covered upmost of Zouma's fuck ups. Maybe it is just me but I can see improvement even if it is just baby steps.

Not discrediting the clean sheet and defensive work last night but worth noting that Sevilla are hardly a prolific side. This pre-game tweet summed up both teams nicely...

Apart from the last fifteen minutes we did triy to move the ball towards their half, it was n't parking the bus.
Timo lost his irons yesterday and he made a Morata out of himself in the last minute of the first half.
Also with 2-3 clean headers their keeper was lucky because the ball went straight at him.
I don't know how Sevilla compares to Bayern Munich but they are certinly the betters of Real-Barca-Atletico these days.
I believe now that things can only get better - not like last year when the initial good performances in the league was obvious they could n't last.

Chelsea fans last Saturday: “We don’t have a defensive organisation, there’s no structure, no system.”
Chelsea fans yesterday: “Ok, our defence was good but that game was horrible to watch.” 

[emoji3]
As long as we do not play like prime Barcelona, Chelsea fans will always moan

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Let's just hope their team is as overconfident as their fans are in the Chelsea thread on RedCafe. I get the excitement after a win over PSG in Paris, but they are a bit ridiculous. 

Good...double the pride double the fall.....if we can pull it off of course.