Mikel John Obi

Badboy

Stood around disinterested for their first yesterday -not surprised really, it happens quite a lot with him.

He needs better mangement imo. Hes a zero chance of scoring defensive Midfielder , so he really needs to inspire and track back more.However the whole team seem to have been told not to tackle recently, and I dont want to solely single him out. He was MOM in Munchen, after all

Us posters who don't like Mikel (as a player, not a person) expect this level from him. You see the slide tackles in this video? This is what we want. We don't care if it's in a 4-3-3 or partnered with someone in a 4-2-3-1. It doesn't matter. A top quality midfielder is versatile. Busquets is just as good in Spain's 4-2-3-1 as he is in Barcelona's 4-3-3. The formation just can't be an excuse. Of course it may seem unfair to be saying "Hi Mikel, please play more like our best ever defensive midfielder", but he's only half the player I see in this video. I expect successors to at least challenge someone's title of "Best ever in their position" at a club!

The slide tackles, positioning, interceptions etc. in this video below are orgasmic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63WojjZy7QE

Now, here's a point:- If we were to want to replace Mikel, who with? I want a Makelele type player again. Who's the closest player to Makelele these days who's actually a realistic target? I've heard people say Sven Bender (I don't see it), Capoue (I don't see it) and Nainggolan (I don't see it).

Straight from the horse's mouth - Makélélé on the DM position: "...you must enjoy running...we're talking about 2-3 touches maximum, you don't keep the ball much..."

"you must enjoy running" - meaning getting about and getting at players. Mikel run? Not much, and no pace is an understatement of the century.

2-3 touches? Try 12.

"Don't keep the ball much" - I interpret this as having quick passing and decision making abilities...and Mikel? Dawdles on the ball, turns like a bus and passes back to Terry/Cech.

Dunno, I didn't watch the match. But I'm not at all surprised that your whole argument is based on a single incident..

His all round game was terrible. Again, he couldn't do the basics against relegation candidates. I'll refer you to Spike's post.

He had a bad game today but so did the whole team. The way he played against United coming on and dominating the game showed how good he really is. Just an off day today. When we lose the amount of abuse Mikel gets is ridiculous. Some of it I think ok maybe he didn't do this that and this but there's some of it that isn't even his fault. Hes obviously the scapegoat of the team.

That has to be the most ridiculous post I've ever seen.

That's has to be the most ridiculous post I've ever seen.

Kojo on warpath ;)

Well - how's it feel that most people now share your opinion on him? The same opinion that got you derided and shot down by everybody? ;)

I do think he could be useful with the right coaching as @Fulham Broadway suggests - but like @Leif says, Every game bar a few exceptions - he lets players score... Not good enough at this level... And as @the only place to be says - nt defending a free kick is disgraceful, nearly as bad as Nasri!!!

Wayne-Rooney-Manchester-United-Champions

cando_bogunited.jpg

Ok. You think Rooney has a long term future at OT?

As for Anderson, he's a regular right, starts every week... Oh wait! No he's a bit part player....

Although I bet if both apologised and acted like men, SAF would put it behind him.

Anyway, show me a non-committed Utd player that plays week in week out? That WAS my point - there are none!!!

Kojo on warpath ;)

Well - how's it feel that most people now share your opinion on him? The same opinion that got you derided and shot down by everybody? ;)

I do think he could be useful with the right coaching as @Fulham Broadway suggests - but like @Leif says, Every game bar a few exceptions - he lets players score... Not good enough at this level... And as @the only place to be says - nt defending a free kick is disgraceful, nearly as bad as Nasri!!!

I've been dissapointed with Mikel since last season Muzchap, i had was hoping he would flourish and make his name after Essien was sidelined for 6 months. Infact he actually did well in his first 6 games, then came the Valencia game when we drew 1-1 and I've never seen such a bad performance from a DM.

And eversince then he was awful, untill Di Matteo came and the whole team got together and did their own jobs. But even then i stated Mikel is not good enough we should sell him, just look at my new season thread i made last season. I wanted to get Tiote in the midfield instead, especially when he wasn't injured 24/7, but now we don't need Tiote as i think we need more of a passing defensive midfielder.

He's just proven that he's not good enough, some people on here act like he's still 22 or something, yet when really he should be coming into the prime of his career. As you said about Leif, he's put it correctly, he's not good enough. We need consistent players, not ones that are on and off like Mikel is constantly, it's obvious that the typical Mikel fanboys are now finding any excuse for Mikel. Like he had one game against United when we where on the front foot and he got all the credit, that just proves it. Ryan Davidsons post was just completely hypocrytical, Peace pretty much just flawed it in every possible way a human being could.

Fulham Broadway although it's hopeful, i disagree, i think it's not worth it and i doubt the decision making of it. I see no point in hanging onto a player like that when we could just simply invest in much better. And as for Only Place To Be it's pretty much just another point, not only does Mikel offer us nothing when it comes to attacking as well as defending, he's also not so committed as he just tries to get out the way of the ball.

First off, mate, I didn't attempt to start a Kalou debate. I was just throwing in his name because he was the best example of a player staying a long time at a club without being a great player. Though, I am agree with you, he was a good squad player. And fair enough about Paulo Ferreira.

But now, the examples regarding Wes Brown and John O'Shea are quite relevant, since the three players played more or less the same amount of games within a long period at one club. Are the two ex Manchester players are anything special ? Nah, they were just average. It's just that they were good squad-players and that they were surrounded by very good players. Hell, even Victor Valdes is another example : an average goalkeeper but has been the starter for Barcelona for many years.

To reply to these questions of yours :

1) How come we have been so successful with him regularly in our lineup? 2) And why was he never replaced when we all know we had the financial power to go for almost any player in the world?

I think I had partly answered it in my last post in this thread, but never mind. Mikel was surrounded by world-class players throughout nearly all of his career here. At first, in the back, he had what was arguably the best center-back pairing in the world : Terry-Carvalho. Then it was Terry-Alex. In the midfield, he played along side world-class players : Essien, Lampard, Ballack. You can also mention Ashley Cole who was the best left-back in the world.

So, how comes we have been so successful despite having him in our line-up ? The answer is pretty simple : because Chelsea was full of world-class and great players. And, how comes he had never been replaced ? Simply because there were no points to !!! An elite team doesn't need to have world-class players at every position. We never replaced him because he was merely good enough for what we were asking him. In the midfield he was along side players such as Lampard, Ballack and Essien, while at the back there were players such as Carvalho, Terry, Alex and Cole. This fact means that he didn't have to boss the midfield. That's why all of our managers kept selected him. Because he was perfectly fine for what he were asked. Just as Wes Brown, John O'shea and Victor Valdes.

Now things have changed. Our team is no longer filled-up with world-class players. Our defense is more than shaky, and our central midfield is more than average. That means that we are in need of someone who can boss the midfield ! Mikel has no longer the aforementioned players to make the midfield function. He is no longer the underling. He is no longer the guy there only to assist big guys in their jobs. He has no longer the second role.

He needs to be the midfield chief. And this is precisely what, we people, don't think he has able to do.

Absolutely SPOT-ON!

If I hadn't already nominated The Skipper this would make me nominate you ;)

I've been dissapointed with Mikel since last season Muzchap, i had was hoping he would flourish and make his name after Essien was sidelined for 6 months. Infact he actually did well in his first 6 games, then came the Valencia game when we drew 1-1 and I've never seen such a bad performance from a DM.

And eversince then he was awful, untill Di Matteo came and the whole team got together and did their own jobs. But even then i stated Mikel is not good enough we should sell him, just look at my new season thread i made last season. I wanted to get Tiote in the midfield instead, especially when he wasn't injured 24/7, but now we don't need Tiote as i think we need more of a passing defensive midfielder.

He's just proven that he's not good enough, some people on here act like he's still 22 or something, yet when really he should be coming into the prime of his career. As you said about Leif, he's put it correctly, he's not good enough. We need consistent players, not ones that are on and off like Mikel is constantly, it's obvious that the typical Mikel fanboys are now finding any excuse for Mikel. Like he had one game against United when we where on the front foot and he got all the credit, that just proves it. Ryan Davidsons post was just completely hypocrytical, Peace pretty much just flawed it in every possible way a human being could.

Fulham Broadway although it's hopefuly i disagree, i think it's not worth it and i doubt the decision making of it. I see no point in hanging onto a player like that when we could just simply invest in much better. And as for Only Place To Be it's pretty much just another point, not only does Mikel offer us nothing when it comes to attacking as well as defending, he's also not so committed as he just tries to get out the way of the ball.

Love this post!

Good work dude - I'm with you 100%...

Posts like this and you will be MOTM someday - and I hope it's taught you a valuable lesson, it's ok to have a differing opinion and stick to it. If you truly believe something (like you did), sometimes that belief is realised - like now ;)

Love this post!

Good work dude - I'm with you 100%...

Posts like this and you will be MOTM someday - and I hope it's taught you a valuable lesson, it's ok to have a differing opinion and stick to it. If you truly believe something (like you did), sometimes that belief is realised - like now ;)

Exactly, you should never be afraid to voice your opinion, i did it about Hazard start of the season. I felt he was lazy and arrogant, infact i didn't like the dude in person when we first signed him, i also thought he was overrated. However he has proven me wrong and I've admitted it, I'm also very proud of how Hazard has come, easily been one of our best players this season.

You're right though, I remember it was only me who was saying this about Mikel, now as Peace said it's about 50-50.

Ok. You think Rooney has a long term future at OT?

As for Anderson, he's a regular right, starts every week... Oh wait! No he's a bit part player....

Although I bet if both apologised and acted like men, SAF would put it behind him.

Anyway, show me a non-committed Utd player that plays week in week out? That WAS my point - there are none!!!

Both have degraded the club and/ or continued to slug off getting paid thousands a week and representing the most successful

Club in England. What Rooney did was straight up shameful and I bet SAF in the 90's would have sold him right off

Both have degraded the club and/ or continued to slug off getting paid thousands a week and representing the most successful

Club in England. What Rooney did was straight up shameful and I bet SAF in the 90's would have sold him right off

What Rooney did was unacceptable - but he doesn't 'slug' off and gives everything he has. Do I think his time is limited - Yes. Did SAF bitch slap him by not letting him play against Real Madrid - Yes...

Anderson, couldn't give two fucks about, he's a squad player and I expect him to be shipped out the door when SAF feels like it...

But anyway, you didn't name a current starting 11 player week in week out that doesn't show 100% commitment.

I'm not arguing with you, that's not the point - just trying to show that having a no-nonsense manager is sometimes a good thing and encourages average players to play better. Like nearly every Utd player let go (except Ronaldo)