Mikel John Obi

Badboy

Guest FullEnglishBreakfast

Poor old Jon. Trapped in a system that does himself and everyone else no favours. Last night was a shining gem of the mess Chelsea is in. No direction instead of one direction.

I'm so sorry for the pun.

Haha, regardless a lot needs to changed for Mikel to succeed, and is he the player we want build everything around?

I wouldn't build my team around a holding midfield player. What you do need though is to provide pillars for players you want to build your team around (in our case Mata, Hazard and Oscar) and in my opinion Mikel can be that. Whenever we play Mikel with the three aforementioned all three seem to have a bit more freedom in their play simply because they know they've got a good holding midfield player behind them as a platform.

He had a bad game today but so did the whole team. The way he played against United coming on and dominating the game showed how good he really is. Just an off day today. When we lose the amount of abuse Mikel gets is ridiculous. Some of it I think ok maybe he didn't do this that and this but there's some of it that isn't even his fault. Hes obviously the scapegoat of the team.

Benitez is the scapegoat. Torres is the scapegoat. Mikel is simply a decent player who we can't rely on when the pressure is on. It's not his fault, it's not something malicious that he chooses to do, it's simply his character.

If you actually watch the United game, they drop off and don't put pressure on which is the exact opposite thing teams should do. Southampton did is perfectly today and Mikel crumbled. When Steaua put pressure on us in the second leg, he gave the ball away a number of times and Steaua should have capitalised on it.

Make no mistake, Lampard does him no favours but Mikel is simply someone we can't rely upon going forward. Fortunately we have a real prospect in Chalobah who I believe will succeed not because he has the physical tools like Mikel, or the technical tools like Mikel (actually I'd say his distribution is better already) but because he has the mental tools that Mikel simply doesn't have. That position in the team requires consistent leadership - that's something no-one has ever said Mikel has.

Does he have a role in the squad? Absolutely. He can provide bench cover and maybe shore things up then we're defending a lead, but he's no more than that.

For fuck sake whole team is doing badly overall. Not just Mikel. There is a thing called TRANSITION going on at our club, we are not fighting for some trophies right now in Pl or Cl, there are many questions about the game we have.

We have a shit coach. We have wrong tactics. Lamps and Mikel never fit together in double pivot. Result is they play bad together. Several reasons for Mikel playing bad. He is best at doing his role of DM in 4:3:3 with hard working players.

Today game was bad from whole team, not just Mikel. Oscar was lost in game, Marin and Moses were awful. Torres, well...this formation is to play fast possesion football and we had 40% of possession. Is that Mikel's fault? Its his fault as much as Oscars, Lamps or anyone elses.

Once we pick a proper formation, get a decent DLP, striker and a coach that has some clue I will judge Mikel. If he will still play bad I will say I was wrong to believe in him, but if he proves he is good (specialy after he reaches age 27/29), at this club or somewhere else you can all go to f*** yourselves for not believing in him.

Man I just wish he would play at some other PL team that has no issues like we have and he would rip our team. Then I want see some of your faces.

For fuck sake whole team is doing badly overall. Not just Mikel. There is a thing called TRANSITION going on at our club, we are not fighting for some trophies right now in Pl or Cl, there are many questions about the game we have.

We have a shit coach. We have wrong tactics. Lamps and Mikel never fit together in double pivot. Result is they play bad together. Several reasons for Mikel playing bad. He is best at doing his role of DM in 4:3:3 with hard working players.

Today game was bad from whole team, not just Mikel. Oscar was lost in game, Marin and Moses were awful. Torres, well...this formation is to play fast possesion football and we had 40% of possession. Is that Mikel's fault? Its his fault as much as Oscars, Lamps or anyone elses.

Once we pick a proper formation, get a decent DLP, striker and a coach that has some clue I will judge Mikel. If he will still play bad I will say I was wrong to believe in him, but if he proves he is good (specialy after he reaches age 27/29), at this club or somewhere else you can all go to f*** yourselves for not believing in him.

Man I just wish he would play at some other PL team that has no issues like we have and he would rip our team. Then I want see some of your faces.

Can I ask you one question - the free-kick today, when Mikel was in the wall.

Does he move his head towards the ball? Simple question - yes or no?

Can I ask you one question - the free-kick today, when Mikel was in the wall.

Does he move his head towards the ball? Simple question - yes or no?

To be honest I have seen some worse defending at set pieces. Check Real for example and their 'brilliant' defending at free kicks/corners. But I dont hear about Ramos being shit...

They are team and work together to cover up for mistakes.

Our team is team of individuals. Plenty of mistakes for not working as team, having consistency and keep changing the team starting eleven. One game its Lamps-Rambo then Lamps-Mikel then Rambo-Mikel then...play two players in pivot for 90% of games like all teams do. They will get used to each other and perform better.

To be honest I have seen some worse defending at set pieces. Check Real for example and their 'brilliant' defending at free kicks/corners. But I dont hear about Ramos being shit...

They are team and work together to cover up for mistakes.

Our team is team of individuals. Plenty of mistakes for not working as team, having consistency and keep changing the team starting eleven. One game its Lamps-Rambo then Lamps-Mikel then Rambo-Mikel then...play two players in pivot for 90% of games like all teams do. They will get used to each other and perform better.

The reason we've kept switching is because no-one (not Rami, not Lamps, not Mikel) has put their name on a shirt and given consistent performances. As much as I criticise Rami, he's been the best of the bunch and his work ethic and commitment is faultless, but he falls down technically too often.

Mikel has the physical and technical gifts you dream about a midfielder having, but I don't trust him. I don't think he makes the players around him better, but he has nice stats. He isn't a leader and I think you need that in that position. Lamps just isn't a double pivot midfielder.

There's not a player in the squad who should be immune from criticism, but too many people stick by their favourites. Maybe it's just a blind spot they have, maybe it's a fear of admitting you were wrong (I've admitted I may have been wrong about issues on here and a couple of members have tried to mock me for that - ignore them because only a small-minded boy thinks fallibility is something to be ashamed of). I don't think it's wrong for people to support the players but sometimes you have to question a players' quality.

And there have been plenty of average players who have made 300 appearances for top teams. There's no shame in that, but there's no reason not to acknowledge these players' limitations and move on from them.

Mikel was terrible against Southampton.

He's a decent defensive player, pathetic offensive player...overall he's average.

I think people are overrating Mikel due to his good performance against United.

If we had another quality defensive midfielder in the team, Mikel would be on the bench...he's just lucky Chelsea haven't brought in a defensive midfielder since Essien's peak..which was a few years ago.

No...no you wouldn't because they have not even been mentioned. Only Mikel has been mentioned in this thread, because this is Mikel's thread if you want to whinge about the whole teams performance go read the matchday thread or something. It's not surprise that people only talk about Mikel in his own thread.

oh thats a suprise. so lets go to every thread and blame each of them, but suprisingly that does not happen. after every loss this is the only thread that seems to alive and running. plus read my comment mate before blabbing. what exactly do u understand when u read this "and yet if u read the last 2 pages of this thread u would feel mikel was the soul reason for this shambolic performance and defeat."

it is the totally ridiculous level of comments that people are saying is what is disturbing.

The reason we've kept switching is because no-one (not Rami, not Lamps, not Mikel) has put their name on a shirt and given consistent performances. As much as I criticise Rami, he's been the best of the bunch and his work ethic and commitment is faultless, but he falls down technically too often.

Mikel has the physical and technical gifts you dream about a midfielder having, but I don't trust him. I don't think he makes the players around him better, but he has nice stats. He isn't a leader and I think you need that in that position. Lamps just isn't a double pivot midfielder.

There's not a player in the squad who should be immune from criticism, but too many people stick by their favourites. Maybe it's just a blind spot they have, maybe it's a fear of admitting you were wrong (I've admitted I may have been wrong about issues on here and a couple of members have tried to mock me for that - ignore them because only a small-minded boy thinks fallibility is something to be ashamed of). I don't think it's wrong for people to support the players but sometimes you have to question a players' quality.

And there have been plenty of average players who have made 300 appearances for top teams. There's no shame in that, but there's no reason not to acknowledge these players' limitations and move on from them.

By what meaning should Mikel be leader or something? We have Hazard, Mata to lead the team. With proper DLP we will have leader in midfield. With good striker we will have leader in attack. Mikel protects defence. Thats all. With Hazard, Oscar, Mata, new DLP and striker we have enough to do things in attack, but when comes to defending Mata, Oscar and probably that striker wont do much in defence. Mikel will stay back and do his job.

You cant have 5 playmakers or leaders in team anyway...

And Im surprised that you cant trust Mikel who spent here all those years and played lot of games for us, was favourite for Ancelotti or Mourinho, yet you keep mentioning Chalobah or Lukaku like they are Messi already. They NEVER played here constantly, they are 18 and 19 old and you expect imediate impact next season? They are great prospects who will shine through ages 22-30, not next year. And to say that Chalobah is better than Mikel already or that Lukaku will be equaly effective to us like some top striker would be is funny.

As for Soton game goes, put some blame to attack too. They havent even score a goal against them (Terry is defender) and that is Mikel's fault too right?

By what meaning should Mikel be leader or something? We have Hazard, Mata to lead the team. With proper DLP we will have leader in midfield. With good striker we will have leader in attack. Mikel protects defence. Thats all. With Hazard, Oscar, Mata, new DLP and striker we have enough to do things in attack, but when comes to defending Mata, Oscar and probably that striker wont do much in defence. Mikel will stay back and do his job.

You cant have 5 playmakers or leaders in team anyway...

That role requires a sense of responsibility and leadership in my opinion. Look at the likes of Deschamps, Makelele, Wise and even Petit. Those were men who gave everything for the cause - you can't even answer the question about what Mikel did in the wall honestly. Why is that?

And Im surprised that you cant trust Mikel who spent here all those years and played lot of games for us, was favourite for Ancelotti or Mourinho, yet you keep mentioning Chalobah or Lukaku like they are Messi already. They NEVER played here constantly, they are 18 and 19 old and you expect imediate impact next season? They are great prospects who will shine through ages 22-30, not next year. And to say that Chalobah is better than Mikel already or that Lukaku will be equaly effective to us like some top striker would be is funny.

Number of appearances means fuck all. Plenty of average players have accumulated large numbers of appearances at top clubs and not been missed when they were sold.

I have faith in youngsters like Lukaku and Chalobah because I see something in their character that I admire. Beyond the physical and technical elements of their game they have the right attitude to the game and that is what wins you games. You just throw out names of players you think we should sign like this is a videogame - it isn't. This club is a family and you need men to carry you to success.

As for Soton game goes, put some blame to attack too. They havent even score a goal against them (Terry is defender) and that is Mikel's fault too right?

Everything in a team is linked. The midfield is the key to everything in my opinion - they need to shield the defence whilst controlling the tempo of the game and they did neither.

but if he proves he is good (specialy after he reaches age 27/29), at this club or somewhere else you can all go to f*** yourselves for not believing in him.

I've had these sort of comments thrown at me ever since i joined this forum regarding Mikel because i have never rated the guy, at that point there were hardly any knockers - i was very much in the minority. There were some arrogant remarks like 'you don't know nothing about football if you criticize Mikel'!! I pointed out his flaws long ago (other members are are now posting similar comments) with different members some of which are changing their tune about him now (fair play too) I've been waiting for Mikel to prove me wrong but he always flatters to deceive - if we forget his flaws or the excuses for one second and he actually has consistency in his game then detractors like me will get off his back. I rarely post, so other members have taken up the baton but i did say at the start of this season that if Mikel plays regularly then we will have no chance of winning the title.................

I do agree though he is not the only one that is inconsistent, the whole team are riddled with it but lets not fool our self's into thinking that Mikel is the only one to get stick, Torres gets most of it, Ivanovich is now getting his fair share, Bertrand is on the hit-list too - if players are performing then on the whole they won't get sledged.

If he gets to 29 and is performing consistently for this club then i will eat a large slice of humble pie, if not will you do the same?

People flock to this thread the one game in 20 that Mikel plays badly in. It's quiet the rest of the time.

One bad game out of 20? If that was the case, no one would be complaining..

I think Mikel has had close to 7 or 8 bad games out of 20...

That role requires a sense of responsibility and leadership in my opinion. Look at the likes of Deschamps, Makelele, Wise and even Petit. Those were men who gave everything for the cause - you can't even answer the question about what Mikel did in the wall honestly. Why is that?

Number of appearances means fuck all. Plenty of average players have accumulated large numbers of appearances at top clubs and not been missed when they were sold.

I have faith in youngsters like Lukaku and Chalobah because I see something in their character that I admire. Beyond the physical and technical elements of their game they have the right attitude to the game and that is what wins you games. You just throw out names of players you think we should sign like this is a videogame - it isn't. This club is a family and you need men to carry you to success.

Everything in a team is linked. The midfield is the key to everything in my opinion - they need to shield the defence whilst controlling the tempo of the game and they did neither.

So at one point you complain about how team plays and on other you dont want any new players?

If you think that Lukaku and Kdb and Chalobah would put us above Manchester clubs in next two years, you wont see it. They are our future but we need top players NOW. Or you can watch the same football we play this season next three seasons until Lukaku, Kdb and Chalobah become class. And by your posts you want this bad play stop as much as I do, but its utophia to thinktl that only loanees will change us into title contenders. We need players. Top players and squad/youth players. Lukaku would be perfect replacement for Torres, Chalobah for Essien and Kdb for Marin. We need top players now to get some chance of playing better football next year. Im not saying we should buy top and sell our youth players. We should buy two players who can fit right into starting team and improve us NOW. Kdb and Lukaku will start as rotation options and if they prove they will be starters. Ultimately its all up to coach.