Mikel John Obi

Badboy

I agree that a CDM should be dynamic. I for one want a player like Cambiasso was as a younger man. He was incredibly dynamic and criminally underrated. He has/had sublime technique, positioning and tackling. He and Makelele were the defining CDMs of the 00s. Two very different players also.

Agreed mate. I also agree about the 3-man-midfield. This is what I was trying to say when I suggested a 4-3-3 or a 4-3-2-1, much more time and space for the more, let's say, laboured CDM. I think Romeu would fit that category too.

But this 4-2-3-1 is heavily reliant on quick movement, passing and quick everything really, which I don't feel Mikel is suited to whatsoever. He had an amazing game against United, but they let us have the ball and, with Ramires as more of a CM, Mikel was the only CDM in that match really - making it more akin to a 3 man midfield.

Right, I can reply by saying that you would rather see Chelsea fail when Mikel plays just to feel you are right, but that's a completely pointless argument.

PS: Just for the record, I've been on this forum for about two season and as far as I can remember, I voted Mikel as MOTM on two occasions only. Sorry if that doesn't fit the image of me you're trying to paint.

And how many times have you liked almost each and every post in this thread that is in favor of Mikel.

I've said even at the end of last season he's not good enough, defensive midfielders MUST be consistent, we can't just have on and off.

He's also very limited in abillity, but no doubt when our team wins he will be the one who gets highly praised out of the rest of the team. Choulo said Mikel proven everyone wrong after the United game, despite the rest of the team also having the front foot. But no as usual he gives Mikel all the credit, and just wait for it, he will be in another game when we win 4-0 or something and Choulo will strike again.

I don't rate this fella highly at all. and by the way you can shot any stat, game or even contribution at me, he simply is one of the most limited players I have seen for a long time, that and he has the turning circle of a truck.

I don't rate this fella highly at all. and by the way you can shot any stat, game or even contribution at me, he simply is one of the most limited players I have seen for a long time, that and he has the turning circle of a truck.

I think you're ignoring his 84% pass completion stat. :worship:

The image I'm trying to paint is of someone who has ignored the performances Mikel has put in on the pitch and defended him blindly for fuck know's what reason.

People are frustrated with his lacklustre performances and you mock them by saying that 'he'll be in the team next season'. You've nailed your colours to his mast and seem unable to admit you were wrong.

You're completely right. And same goes for every Chelsea manager for the last 7-8 seasons. In fact, those managers were not hired by Roman, they were hired by Mikel so they would play him despite every one knowing he's completely shit..

You're completely right. And same goes for every Chelsea manager for the last 7-8 seasons. In fact, those managers were not hired by Roman, they were hired by Mikel so they would play him despite every one knowing he's completely shit..

He's not completely shit, but he's not good enough for us. You'll note that each of those managers has been sacked, although I think it's entirely irrelevant.

He's a decisive player, who looks great on the stats sheet but fails to convince so many supporters in games. His supporters like to imply that he's underrated or that what he does is so subtle, so magical and mysterious that mere mortals fail to recognise his talents.

He's just an average player who has managed to get a lot of appearances at this club, but fortunately we have players coming through who are going to surplant him in the near future. I personally can't wait for that day.

this thread is hilarious. we had 2 useless wingers, 2 fullbacks u had a horrendous match, a striker who dint win a single aerial challenge when i think we might have punted about 20-30 balls from the defense, a center back who has continously been falling in standards (ivanovic), a center attacking midfielder whole role should have been to be a link up between the pivot and the forward but instead he (oscar) got what 5-10 useful touches all match long, a manager who put a 2nd string team for the no.1 priority match and trusted in a already known fucked up pivot of lamps-mikel and yet if u read the last 2 pages of this thread u would feel mikel was the soul reason for this shambolic performance and defeat.

mikel might not be good enough for chelsea's supposed ambition but this is absolutely ridiculous.

Not bashing at all mate, just taking the piss out of some who got completely carried away with ONE really good performance, that's all.

We also just differ on what we believe a CDM should do. You believe he should keep it nice and simple and protect the back four, I believe, at this level, he should be able to do that and more, i.e. have pace/quick decision making/good passing range. Mikel couldn't even do the simple stuff today against a team fighting relegation.

Absoultely true...

Its come to the point where we need Mikel AND Ramires to provide any sort of protection to the back 4...In the past all we needed was one Makelele or Essien....

He had a bad game today but so did the whole team. The way he played against United coming on and dominating the game showed how good he really is. Just an off day today. When we lose the amount of abuse Mikel gets is ridiculous. Some of it I think ok maybe he didn't do this that and this but there's some of it that isn't even his fault. Hes obviously the scapegoat of the team.

No...no you wouldn't because they have not even been mentioned. Only Mikel has been mentioned in this thread, because this is Mikel's thread if you want to whinge about the whole teams performance go read the matchday thread or something. It's not surprise that people only talk about Mikel in his own thread.

Yeah he had a poor game today, but if you read the comments here it's like the loss is his fault. The whole team was subpar today, that's fact. I'm not really looking into this performance as an indicator to anyone's overall ability simply because it's a one off game where we played a second string side (who aren't good enough overall to begin with). I think there's a general overreaction concerning today's result - it's like people expected us to comprehensively beat Southampton with the team we put out - I already knew it was going to be very difficult to do that when the XI was read out.

IMO people are just using this game to bash players and fuel previous agenda's they had on them. If we started Hazard, Mata, Ramires, Luiz & Ba today it would've been a completely different game and everyone knows that. It's the gulf of quality between our first team and second team that needs fixing, and you can't really blame our squad players for that I think.

Yeah he had a poor game today, but if you read the comments here it's like the loss is his fault. The whole team was subpar today, that's fact. I'm not really looking into this performance as an indicator to anyone's overall ability simply because it's a one off game where we played a second string side (who aren't good enough overall to begin with). I think there's a general overreaction concerning today's result - it's like people expected us to comprehensively beat Southampton with the team we put out - I already knew it was going to be very difficult to do that when the XI was read out.

IMO people are just using this game to bash players and fuel previous agenda's they had on them. If we started Hazard, Mata, Ramires, Luiz & Ba today it would've been a completely different game and everyone knows that. It's the gulf of quality between our first team and second team that needs fixing, and you can't really blame our squad players for that I think.

I've never had an agenda against him. JUST SAYING.