Mikel John Obi

Badboy

Probably he needs a proper hard working CM with enough energy to run.

But you guys know that board and players know best how important he is to them. I dont say Mikel is superb, but he is certainly better than Capoue, Gonalons, Tiote etc...he is proven, aged 25 and with his style (he is not using pace) he can easy play on top level until 35. The only thing I blame him is his working ethic, he takes games too easy and loses passion. As for mistake goes, everyone makes mistakes; Luiz, Hazard, Mata, Rambo, Ramos, Pique,...but that doesnt mean like they need to leave. Once a proper manager will Motivate Mikel (he plays great for Nigeria), we will see his best side.

But ok sell him to United if you think he is that bad and then you will cry after him...

But you guys know that board and players know best how important he is to them. I dont say Mikel is superb, but he is certainly better than Capoue, Gonalons, Tiote etc...he is proven, aged 25 and with his style (he is not using pace) he can easy play on top level until 35. The only thing I blame him is his working ethic, he takes games too easy and loses passion. As for mistake goes, everyone makes mistakes; Luiz, Hazard, Mata, Rambo, Ramos, Pique,...but that doesnt mean like they need to leave. Once a proper manager will Motivate Mikel (he plays great for Nigeria), we will see his best side.

But ok sell him to United if you think he is that bad and then you will cry after him...

Not so sure he will carry on that long. The fact that he started to play in a European top league so early will probably cut his career. Physically, due to his rather leisure playing style, he won't have a problem, but mentally it will be difficult for him to motivate himself in 10 years. But I agree Mikel has been a great servant for the club, he should and will stay here for years. Mikel was amazing under Ancelotti in that Mikel-Deco/Ballack-Lamps midfield. Given the right partners he will excel again.

Guest FullEnglishBreakfast

I've been really busy as of late. What's Mikel's form been like? I don't want biased opinions either, though I don't think that's possible with this fellow.

Wasn't Mikel supposed to sign for United all those years ago..?

He's probably happy that he ended up at Chelsea...cause at United, he'd either be a top player or sold-off to some decent club by now...

I've been really busy as of late. What's Mikel's form been like? I don't want biased opinions either, though I don't think that's possible with this fellow.

Good against United (although had no pressure put on him), was responsible for at least one golden opportunity for Steaua from (guess what) dawdling on the ball and getting caught out, not missed against West Ham (who had no midfield to speak of).

It's funny that one of the things he does is get caught by surprise by players putting pressure on him. I guarantee it will happen in the next 12-18 months and this time someone's going to knick his shirt off him.

His name? Chalobah. :getin:

• 2 weeks later...

I expect we won't see the Mikel lovers until his next 'amazing performace' sometime next year....

Nop, still here. I didn't watch the match so I can't comment on his performance. But seeing as we conceded two and only managed to have 4 shots on target against Southampton, I'm guessing we had bigger problems than Mikel today.

You can go on bashing Mikel all you want, which I'm sure you'll do, but fact is he will still be there on Monday starting against utd as will he still be in the starting lineup next season.

The last 9 games that John Obi Mikel started in the Premier League, Chelsea have won 1, drawn 3 and lost 5. A grand total of 6 points in those 9 games. #CFC

And i bet now is the moment we aren't allowed to use stats to support our opinion, lmao the irony if someone actually says this.

Nop, still here. I didn't watch the match so I can't comment on his performance. But seeing as we conceded two and only managed to have 4 shots on target against Southampton, I'm guessing we had bigger problems than Mikel today.

You can go on bashing Mikel all you want, which I'm sure you'll do, but fact is he will still be there on Monday starting against utd as will he still be in the starting lineup next season.

I swear you feel like you've manouvred yourself into a position where you'd rather be right about Mikel being in the team than seeing Chelsea do well.

You're starting to sound like Backstreet sounds about Torres.

BTW, why watch the match - he had 84% pass completion. That's good enough to vote for him as MOTM isn't it?

I literally can not comprehend how badly he played today. His positioning literally made me angry. Maybe one of his worst performances.

Mikel can be a great player. CAN. He seems to excel in a three man midfield, when the team is playing slower more deliberate football. If the team wants to be an attacking expansive sort of side, Mikel isn't the type of player that can do the job. If the teams wants to play rigid, disciplined football, he is the man we want in the side, one of the better players for this style. Make a choice, he just can't cut it at a high tempo all guns blazing style.

He is a water carrier, an anchor man. A type of player that is being phased out of world football.

Right, I can reply by saying that you would rather see Chelsea fail when Mikel plays just to feel you are right, but that's a completely pointless argument.

PS: Just for the record, I've been on this forum for about two season and as far as I can remember, I voted Mikel as MOTM on two occasions only. Sorry if that doesn't fit the image of me you're trying to paint.

The image I'm trying to paint is of someone who has ignored the performances Mikel has put in on the pitch and defended him blindly for fuck know's what reason.

People are frustrated with his lacklustre performances and you mock them by saying that 'he'll be in the team next season'. You've nailed your colours to his mast and seem unable to admit you were wrong.

Not bashing at all mate, just taking the piss out of some who got completely carried away with ONE really good performance, that's all.

We also just differ on what we believe a CDM should do. You believe he should keep it nice and simple and protect the back four, I believe, at this level, he should be able to do that and more, i.e. have pace/quick decision making/good passing range. Mikel couldn't even do the simple stuff against a team fighting relegation.

I agree that a CDM should be dynamic. I for one want a player like Cambiasso was as a younger man. He was incredibly dynamic and criminally underrated. He has/had sublime technique, positioning and tackling. He and Makelele were the defining CDMs of the 00s. Two very different players also.