• Kovacic
    • Willian
    • Mount
    • Abraham
    • Pedro (sub)
    • Giroud (sub)
    • Barkley (sub)

1 minute ago, Hutcho said:

Ahhh so that bloke Ronaldo is an amateur as well makes sense.

Cheers for the laugh lads this has really helped take the emphasis off our loss.

Ok then, suppose he modfies his style and makes a 10 out of 10 correct from now on.
The way he took today's pen is still a historical sh*t.

Lampard put him as first PK taker? Fine. But putting him as the first one is laughable when he has never been a regular taker in his career. 
He's been on a team with baines all his career.

You have to start somewhere. He wasn't just picked out of a hat. He's been a set piece taker for us several times it's not that far fetched for him to be pen taker. A mountain being made out of a molehill.

Fine to disagree with the choice. But it's by no means laughable and I'll back the decision of who should be taking pens by one of the best to ever do it

Ok then, suppose he modfies his style and makes a 10 out of 10 correct from now on.
The way he took today's pen is still a historical sh*t.
He wasn't aiming for the bar. There's hundreds of videos out there of great penalty takers hitting it into the roof of the net to score. The last pen I saw him hit it top corner the one before that bottom left.

Jesus christ, I'm sure you just trolling now. He missed get over it.

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

Scoring a penalty in pre-season means zilch, isn't it? It's just like how Barkley performed well in pre-season and then suddenly turned bad once the season started. 

And for argument's sake, Lampard putting Barkley as the first choice PK taker is just bad management. He isn't first choice in the XI and more importantly, he isn't a regular taker either. To put on him first is just nonsense. 

imagine if Sarri had done this?

2 minutes ago, Hutcho said:

He wasn't aiming for the bar. There's hundreds of videos out there of great penalty takers hitting it into the roof of the net to score. The last pen I saw him hit it top corner the one before that bottom left.

Jesus christ, I'm sure you just trolling now. He missed get over it.

I 'm sure you 've seen many such pens and also many of them went in.
But it's a stupid method.
Usually if there is no pen taker or the pen takers have been exhausted in a shootout do we see this type of effort.

6 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

One of the worst attempts to justify a side of an argument I've seen in quite a while

It's not the same thing.
Barkely's shot is one and a half ball diameters above Messi's.
You can say Messi was unlucky not to have scored but Barkley would have been very lucky to score.

Just now, cosmicway said:

It's not the same thing.
Barkely's shot is one and a half ball diameter above Messi's.
You can say Messi was unlucky not to have scored but Barkley would have been very lucky to score.

That's the execution, your argument has been that type of penalty shouldn't be taken.

And in both instances neither have been good enough because they've both missed the target and the end result has been the same.

As a side note, there are very few penalties that are saved if on target that are hit high centrally. A keeper's natural reaction is to stay low for a penalty in order to spring as far to one side as possible, so I've no problem with the idea.

Just now, Superblue_1986 said:

That's the execution, your argument has been that type of penalty shouldn't be taken.

And in both instances neither have been good enough because they've both missed the target and the end result has been the same.

As a side note, there are very few penalties that are saved if on target that are hit high centrally. A keeper's natural reaction is to stay low for a penalty in order to spring as far to one side as possible, so I've no problem with the idea.

Clearly both missed so it was no good for their teams, but Messi's effort was better than Barkley's.
I 've seen some pens taken high saved, especially when hit centrally ! In that case if the goalkeeper does n' buy it's an easy save.
Barkley's shot was not central but it was a bad one.
As we all know the world's best pen takers strike low and they also sense the keeper's movement and then all they have to do is a tap-in (Hazard-Didier).

The penalty has nothing to do with why we lost the game. We lost because again at a set piece we were caught napping. This element hasnt been good enough under Frank and Valencia had a few good training ground drilled corners/freekicks that caught us out too often. Frank and Jody have got to get in about and sort out whatever is happening for defending set plays/corners.

Normally we arent that weak from them (havent been great compared to first season under Conte I would say) but thats now a equalizer from Leicester and a winner from Valencia that have cost us in a matter of a couple of games. Plus wasn't a Wolves goal from a corner last weekend? 

Just now, cosmicway said:

Clearly both missed so it was no good for their teams, but Messi's effort was better than Barkley's.
I 've seen some pens taken high saved, especially when hit centrally ! In that case if the goalkeeper does n' buy it's an easy save.
Barkley's shot was not central but it was a bad one.
As we all know the world's best pen takers strike low and they also sense the keeper's movement and then all they have to do is a tap-in (Hazard-Didier).

Don't agree, many top penalty takers have gone high, just not all the time. Lampard would do it once every 4 or 5 penalties. I've seen lots of players with excellent track records at penalties go high - Ballack, Shearer, Le Tissier, Lambert. 

This simply boils down to Barkley's execution on this occasion not being good enough.

2 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

The penalty has nothing to do with why we lost the game. We lost because again at a set piece we were caught napping. This element hasnt been good enough under Frank and Valencia had a few good training ground drilled corners/freekicks that caught us out too often. Frank and Jody have got to get in about and sort out whatever is happening for defending set plays/corners.

Normally we arent that weak from them (havent been great compared to first season under Conte I would say) but thats now a equalizer from Leicester and a winner from Valencia that have cost us in a matter of a couple of games. Plus wasn't a Wolves goal from a corner last weekend? 

I 'm afraid the pen lost us one point and gave Valencia two points.
By CL standards we 're not good enough -never mind PL standards. Leaky defense, could n't score a goal against a team that lost 5-2 to Barca, who are theoretically our adversaries in this competition.

6 minutes ago, cosmicway said:

I 'm afraid the pen lost us one point and gave Valencia two points.
By CL standards we 're not good enough -never mind PL standards. Leaky defense, could n't score a goal against a team that lost 5-2 to Barca, who are theoretically our adversaries in this competition.

We had plenty of chances. Defend better we arent 1-0 down. More clinical earlier in the game it isnt 0-0. People are making more out of a missed pen than they should be (still doubt it should of even been given, VAR or not, still getting used to the change, bit ridiculous if you ask me the guys hand in a bad . As I said, we had plenty of chances... The way we played, the game probably should of been won before 65th minute, althougu we are becoming a team who play well but cant kill off games. This is hugely alarming.

20 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

We had plenty of chances. Defend better we arent 1-0 down. More clinical earlier in the game it isnt 0-0. People are making more out of a missed pen than they should be (still doubt it should of even been given, VAR or not, still getting used to the change, bit ridiculous if you ask me the guys hand in a bad . As I said, we had plenty of chances... The way we played, the game probably should of been won before 65th minute, althougu we are becoming a team who play well but cant kill off games. This is hugely alarming.

'pool won the cl with one worse than that.

I remember against Wigan on the final day in the 2010 season. We were leading 1 or 2-0, and we’ve won a penalty. Drogba wanted to take it to win the golden boot, but Lamps refused and even Terry came and said Lamps needs to take it so we can secure the title. 

Long are the days we had that leadership. Also a bit rich for Lampard to defend Barkley when he knew he’s in the wrong.