N'Golo Kante

Vybz Kartel

1 hour ago, LAM09 said:

Who wanted him a number of months ago?

Also, the idea of having no natural DMF at all would be crazy.

I didn't want this at the time because I genuinely thought we had a title chance in 21/22 but looking back maybe cashing in on both Kante and possibly even Jorgi post Porto would have been the right move.

3 hours ago, LAM09 said:

Who wanted him a number of months ago?

Also, the idea of having no natural DMF at all would be crazy.

A number of clubs would have probably wanted him.

What has natural DMF to do with Kante? He's not one.

On 18/10/2022 at 22:32, Blue Armour said:

It's possible that both James and Kante coming back fit and fresh for the new calender year, after the World Cup, might give us a leg up over the other clubs in the final run-in

wait what? James is out of the WC too? That would weaken England quite a bit.

Edited by robsblubot

1 hour ago, manpe said:

A number of clubs would have probably wanted him.

What has natural DMF to do with Kante? He's not one.

There's difference between wanting and actually making a bid.

He's the closest to one in our squad. 

9 hours ago, robsblubot said:

wait what? James is out of the WC too? That would weak England quite a bit.

Still uncertain. I'm just looking at it from Chelsea's perspective.

If we get games with him ahead of the WC, I doubt it will be too many.

• 4 months later...
27 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Close to signing new contract according to media = probably a year

It'll be great to have him back, and see him alongside Enzo. Hopefully we can see Dortmund off and have Kante back for the quarter's.

Oh my god.. He played so long ago and so much has happened since(not too many W-s though) I almost forgot about him..

Curious how his condition is. If he can return relatively good condition, not even his prime, he will be a big plus comparing to Loftus-Cheek and Gallagher.

2 hours ago, nyikolajevics said:

Oh my god.. He played so long ago and so much has happened since(not too many W-s though) I almost forgot about him..

Curious how his condition is. If he can return relatively good condition, not even his prime, he will be a big plus comparing to Loftus-Cheek and Gallagher.

That's the problem -quite injury prone now, and not quite what he was- still, invaluable on his day

One thing is that he started his professional career late and does not have crazy mileage in his legs but same was true for koulibaly and both have already started to decline physically. We are gonna have quite a weird age structure in the squad for some time 

In hindsight we should have sold Kante when his stock was high although I can completely understand the club being reluctant to do so.

In the current position though, I'm quite content to now keep him. He's not going to be worth big money anymore at his age and injury history but I do think he's worth the risk to try and get him fit, even if he needs managing for the rest of his career.

With Jorginho having gone, and it looks like Kovacic could follow, we're no longer looking at the make up of the squad and questioning the age and profile in certain areas. If anything we need to ensure we have some experience still in key areas of the pitch, like we seem to be doing with Thiago Silva.

The hope will be that we've actually taken major steps this time to not rush Kante back and one hopes that will help him finally getting back to some form of regular fitness. 

Moment to part with Kante is long gone, no point in selling him now for 12 million or whatever. People are mad that his contract is being extended, but I don't quite get it. He is still useful asset to have, club legend and his personality and work ethic is something very desirable to have in the team right now. Maybe a luxury player for 3 years, but we can afford this luxury, so why not.

Might be wishful thinking but if he comes back fitter and able to play a decent number of games, keeping him makes a lot of sense.

However, giving him a 3 year contract now is a huge risk if this long layoff hasn't solved his problems.