The Conte Thread

Ireland-Italy:Antonio Conte

Antonio Conte wants to see the maximum humility and focus from his players when they face the Republic of Ireland in a match which doesn’t count for Italy’s standing in the group. Thinking ahead to the round of 16 is being strongly discouraged. “After the Sweden game, I changed my mind about some things, the squad needs balance and selections show how worried we are about certain games. I don’t consider this game to be meaningless and it doesn’t help to create starters and reserves. We must be humble, conscious of our abilities and our weaknesses. We’ve started a journey in the right way, but we can’t forget where we started from. It would be stupid to fall in such a trap. We can’t ever fall off the main road.”The Azzurri had already booked their ticket to France when they faced Norway in their final qualifying fixture but this didn’t affect the performance. “I remember we won by pressuring them after they took the lead and they didn’t qualify,” added Conte. “I know very well that a defeat tomorrow would throw us out of gear and we must look to avoid that.” Players who have featured less will get a chance against Ireland and Conte has confirmed that he has faith in his squad. “There won’t be nine or five changes as these can create divisions in the group, you can come up with the number. We don’t have starters and reserves, there are 23 players who win or lose together along with me and my staff. I expect to see a team performance.” Antonio Candreva will certainly sit out after injuring his right hamstring against Sweden. “He worked well today on the pitch, I am confident he will recover for the next game but we will also look at alternative options.”

Before entering the media room, the coach took a quick look at the pitch and saw it was in poor condition first hand: “The European Championship has been organised very well but this pitch isn’t in an ideal state. However, I don’t like to give players excuses and the pitch is the same for both teams.”

vivoazzurro.it

10 minutes ago, Tomo said:

So Conte is treating the game as a serious match despite the group already being won.

Im guessing Buffon hasn't asked about the bonuses this time :lol:

Where did you read that? In Italy it's since saturday they're banging on about 9 changes in the first XI.
This one is the most agreed upon:  Sirigu; Barzagli, Ogbonna, Darmian; De Sciglio, Florenzi, Thiago Motta, Sturaro, El Shaarawi, Immobile, Zaza 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Can't believe Conte lost to Ireland, of all teams. Useless manager!

This kind of comment would have been fun in presence of an actual meltdown.
But thus far, bar one, maybe two posts, reactions and expectations have been kept realistic and at bay. :)

This kind of comment would have been fun in presence of an actual meltdown.

But thus far, bar one, maybe two posts, reactions and expectations have been kept realistic and at bay. [emoji4]

Rightly so. It was a nothing game for them.

6 hours ago, lucio said:

needs to start insigne next game. can't keeping messing around with giachereni

He plays Insigne where Giaccherini plays and we'll automatically lose the game.
Maybe Insigne in place of Eder.

Just now, cfcs most wanted said:

Spain send Italy flying out please!! Would be great if he returns early to manage our team:D:D

Manage who? They'll start working after the Euro anyway. And as i've mentioned elsewhere, he's going to be sacked come the end of the season or around december. Let him enjoy some international success before becoming miserable and loose al of his hair once again.

Funnily enough, there's a minority in Italy complaining about the way we play, how it's not "entertaining." :lol: Something comparable to what was happening here when José was still where he should rightly be.
They are also complaining about his comments from last night and how "He blamed the pitch" for the loss; how he "never admits" defeat.
Others, people who should wash their mouths and never be allowed to wear an Italy national team kit, are already waving a white flag and declaring defeat against Spain, their argument being "even if we beat Spain there's Germany. Better come home sooner." Shameful landspace some of these Italy "fans" are.