The Mourinho Thread

We're still in progress, we're not there yet..

This. We still seem to be shaky and nervous some time and not like a powerful machine destroying any opposite side.

However, I like the fact that we can always put in a new gear when it is required. Massive improvement to last season.

Or Barcelona vs Inter when Bacelona had 80% (or something like that of ball possession) and created 1 or 2 chances in all the game with one more player for more than 1 hour.

Pellegrini changed because Man United with less one player was having more chances than City. A normal thing since any team that is losing a game with the difference of 1 goal will try everything to score.

This happens in every league, with any team. And more normally between 2 great teams like Chelsea, Man United (or City).

How many teams have you seen playing like Barcelona in the last 15 years? You have there the reason why no one else to that with a 1 goal lead. And many times it's not because you don't want, it's just because you can't.

First of all, Barcelona was losing.

I was talking about when winning.

If Barcelona was winning then Inter would had to come out.

Second of all as mentioned here before not only Barcelona done that but Atletico did it to us last season in the CL.

So it's really nothing out of this world.

If we sit back and don't put pressure on the opponent we invite them to attack thus increasing their opportunity to create more chances.

And third, we are not a team that plays low block to excellency. That was Chelsea of 05.

This Chelsea is not made for that, so it's a bigger risk to sit back and do nothing.

Second of all as mentioned here before not only Barcelona done that but Atletico did it to us last season in the CL.

If we sit back and don't put pressure on the opponent we invite them to attack thus increasing their opportunity to create more chances.

And third, we are not a team that plays low block to excellency. That was Chelsea of 05.

This Chelsea is not made for that, so it's a bigger risk to sit back and do nothing.

Spot on ! I dont think Mourinho shares the same idea and its really annoying, we are better with the ball then off the ball, we are a team that can have the ball 70% of the time against small teams and still create chances, we saw that many times this season, we surely can have the ball and score against bigger oposition, at least at home, but the Manchester games, Mourinho's general system tend to tell me that we'll lose a hell lot of point by going backward when we're upfront and that pisses me off.

And Inter was winning, and defended for 60 minutes with 10 players without any problem.

Atletico played well but they were completely confortable and in the minute 60 they were 2 goals in front... they were not leading by only one goal with 15 minutes for the end of the game.

We can talk about Barcelona all we want, but for example in last season of Guardiola in the 2nd leg of the quarter final against Madrid, in the last 15 minutes the ball boys disapeared, Barcelona started losing time and kicking balls to the stands because the game was 2-2 and with one goal Madrid would be in the semi final.

We also played a positive football against United or Arsenal in the Bridge last season... they were dead.

We can be all we want, but without defending well we can't beat a team like Madrid in the Champions League (and maybe other teams, not only Madrid).

The point above doesn't really make any sense in supporting your argument. If anything, it backs the points of others have used to counter yours.

Barcelona had majority of the possession because they were losing? Yeah, so were United.

Was talking about when winning? Well, Inter were winning then, weren't they? They had the advantage in the aggregate lead.

If Barcelona were winning, then Inter would had to come out? Gosh, that's such an obvious thing to say. It's like saying if we were losing at Old Trafford, we would have been forced to come out.

The point above doesn't really make any sense in supporting your argument. If anything, it backs the points of others have used to counter yours.

Barcelona had majority of the possession because they were losing? Yeah, so were United.

Was talking about when winning? Well, Inter were winning then, weren't they? They had the advantage in the aggregate lead.

If Barcelona were winning, then Inter would had to come out? Gosh, that's such an obvious thing to say. It's like saying if we were losing at Old Trafford, we would have been forced to come out.

But then in the CL final when Barcelona was winning they kept the possession against United this not giving them a chance.

Or like Atletico did to us last year.

So your point doesn't make sense.

But then in the CL final when Barcelona was winning they kept the possession against United this not giving them a chance.

Or like Atletico did to us last year.

So your point doesn't make sense.

:lol: If you're gonna say that, then at least do so with logical point to back it up, which you did not for the Barcelona v Inter game.

Moreover, you are practically taking two different situations to compare here, where one particular approach (e.g. Inter's vs Barcelona) succeeded and another (e.g. Barcelona vs Man United) worked in another situation. You can't say one works better than the other when the results of whatever approach is taken differs from time to time.

And regarding the Atletico point, I see you haven't countered Rom2013's argument above...

Atletico played well but they were completely confortable and in the minute 60 they were 2 goals in front... they were not leading by only one goal with 15 minutes for the end of the game.

Yes but why were they completely comfortable? Because they went for the kill and got it. Simeone knew that 1-1 (going through on away goals) or even 2-1 was not enough and went for it without sacrificing any defensive stability. Perfect balance. If the situation was reversed and it was 1-1 in the second leg at the Vicente Calderón, do you think Mourinho would have gone for the kill? Absolutely not. Jose is a great manager but he is usually far too cautious in the big games, especially in the CL. Atletico gave us a materclass at home in how to maintain the balance between defence and attack. We took 3 of their players but have not adopted their mentality sadly.

Also the Inter example (of sitting back and succeeding) is not a particularly great one. Bojan's goal was wrongly disallowed and that would have sent Barca through.

Yes but why were they completely comfortable? Because they went for the kill and got it. Simeone knew that 1-1 (going through on away goals) or even 2-1 was not enough and went for it without sacrificing any defensive stability. Perfect balance. If the situation was reversed and it was 1-1 in the second leg at the Vicente Calderón, do you think Mourinho would have gone for the kill? Absolutely not. Jose is a great manager but he is usually far too cautious in the big games, especially in the CL. Atletico gave us a materclass at home in how to maintain the balance between defence and attack. We took 3 of their players but have not adopted their mentality sadly.

Also the Inter example (of sitting back and succeeding) is not a particularly great one. Bojan's goal was wrongly disallowed and that would have sent Barca through.

About Inter Barcelona... in the first place it was not a red card... so if anyone has a problem with the ref would be Inter not Barcelona. And that was for sure the best defensive performance I've ever seen in my life.

ANd about CHelsea Atletico, they killed the game like we did against Man United last season, or Arsenal, or other games. But in the last 20 minutes if you are winning 1-0 you should defend. That's how most teams do it... has you saw in Man CIty- Chelsea, Man City- United, Man United- Chelsea. Barcelona-Real Madrid in the season 2012 (2nd leg of the cup game), and many other games.

And it's not just because it's the better thing to do... it's also because the other will do everything to win.

You just need to see Manchester City... last season they destroyed every big team (except us) at home. Today they can't and they will have a problem every time they have a 1-0 lead in any game. THe same coach, the same players, the same philosophy, the same everything. In games they are winning 3-0 or 4-0 in the last 20 minutes they look like the Brazil of Pelé (today they can't do it that often), and when they are winning 1-0 against Man United at home with one more player they park the bus.

No, it wasn't wrongly disallowed. It was the right decision. The ball hit Yaya Toure in his hands just before Bojan netted the goal.

Rodgers' starting XI has angered a host of Reds fans but the Portuguese boss reckons his controversial decision will prove a masterstroke if they beat Real and Chelsea this week.

Mourinho said: "I don’t speak about Liverpool. I speak about myself.

"If one day I go to a game and I don’t feel I can win, maybe I don’t go. So, normally, against the most difficult opponents, I will try to go with my best team but who knows.

"Liverpool might play a fantastic match and win and rest players and the players are in great condition to play against Chelsea in this case it might be a genius decision.

"In football it is difficult to comment."

Chelsea play Slovenian outfit Maribor in the Champions League tomorrow before heading to Anfield on Saturday.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/408684/Chelsea-Jose-Mourinho-Brendan-Rodgers-Liverpool

ANd about CHelsea Atletico, they killed the game like we did against Man United last season, or Arsenal, or other games. But in the last 20 minutes if you are winning 1-0 you should defend. That's how most teams do it... has you saw in Man CIty- Chelsea, Man City- United, Man United- Chelsea. Barcelona-Real Madrid in the season 2012 (2nd leg of the cup game), and many other games. And it's not just because it's the better thing to do... it's also because the other will do everything to win. You just need to see Manchester City... last season they destroyed every big team (except us) at home. Today they can't and they will have a problem every time they have a 1-0 lead in any game. THe same coach, the same players, the same philosophy, the same everything. In games they are winning 3-0 or 4-0 in the last 20 minutes they look like the Brazil of Pelé (today they can't do it that often), and when they are winning 1-0 against Man United at home with one more player they park the bus.

Those games aren't comparable. We were at home: Arsenal completely collapsed as they always do in the big games and United were atrocious last year. Of course Jose would go for the kill in those games. But in the biggest of games, away from home or in the latter stages of the CL he's overly cautious at 0-0 and at 1-0. You make it out like Jose only parks the bus in the last 20 minutes - remember Atletico away last year? Liverpool in 07 where we only needed to score 1 goal at Anfield to essentially ensure qualification to the final? There's a big difference between parking the bus, and playing defensively whilst also actually intending to score (again). I think everyone knows Jose will always prefer the former but the latter, which Atletico did against us last year, is surely the better approach even if there's 'only' 20 mins left (that's plenty of time for the opposition to equalise).

No, it wasn't wrongly disallowed. It was the right decision. The ball hit Yaya Toure in his hands just before Bojan netted the goal.

Having watched it again I stand corrected. It's not a good example anyway because Inter only had 10 men and the debate is about parking the bus when going for another goal is very possible which was obviously not the case in that game.

Rodgers' starting XI has angered a host of Reds fans but the Portuguese boss reckons his controversial decision will prove a masterstroke if they beat Real and Chelsea this week.

"If one day I go to a game and I don’t feel I can win, maybe I don’t go. So, normally, against the most difficult opponents, I will try to go with my best team but who knows.

"Liverpool might play a fantastic match and win and rest players and the players are in great condition to play against Chelsea in this case it might be a genius decision.

Chelsea play Slovenian outfit Maribor in the Champions League tomorrow before heading to Anfield on Saturday.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/408684/Chelsea-Jose-Mourinho-Brendan-Rodgers-Liverpool

I love how different sites gets wildly different things from those quotes. Some say that Mou is taking a dig at Liverpool, and dailystar is saying he's calling it a potential masterstroke lol

lol

a STAR classic