The Mourinho Thread

Do you think it's wise to start with such formation against team we already know will park the bus at the Bridge?

Like say Burnley at home?

Or still too risky and best wait to see how things pan out in the second half?

Not from the start, we will still have to do some defending against these sides and if we go all Brendan Rodgers we will concede a lot of goals.

Why not? With 3-6-1 the full backs can support the attack a lot more, and even help in the midfield. You might not even play with full backs, but with wingers with Willian/Ramires style, who will support the defense when its needed.

For example, Brazil won 2002 WC with 3-5-2 (some people say it was 5-2-1-2, or 3-4-3, but in Brazil we always considered that a 3-5-2 formation). The full-backs (Cafu and Roberto Carlos) were free to support the attack, they helped in the midfield a lot, but when things were ugly the team could easy adopt a 5-3-2 system.

I think its funny you said it might be risky, because I always saw 3-5-2 system as pragmatic one. Holland was a pragmatic side in World Cup and they took few risks (and think they were more 3-6-1 than 3-4-3 as some MU fans are claiming). 3-5-2 or 3-6-1 might be the perfect formation if you have the right players, for example, think about a full back like Marcelo, Dani Alves or even Azipilcueta, they might perfect for that system, but the only position that will suit Ivanovic in that system will be as one of the CB. He doesn't have the skills required to play in the mid, or to support the attack in the proper way. Thats system will suit players like Ramires/Willian as well, since one of the reasons Mourinho love both players is because of their defensive work rate.

Well i suppose that depends on what personnel you put on the wingback positions. Putting actual fullbacks on the wingback makes it a more pragmatic tactic, then the 4-2-3-1, while putting wingers on those positions makes it a more risky tactic

Mourinho seems to be using the 3-5-2 as his all out attack tactic. We've only seen the formation when we were down a goal or when we were level and had to win. I don't think he considers it an actual "starting" tactic.

and honestly speaking i don't think we should start with that tactic. Everytime we've played the 3-5-2 it's been a bit chaotic at the back. It seems to be an all or nothing tactic the way Mourinho uses it.

He certainly used it against Norwich early last season. Where willian and Hazard scored at the end.

He never started with it though, he mostly made changes in the 2nd half.

He used the 3-CB formations only when we were a goal down and were struggling to get back at the opponents. Also in such formations, we used wingers instead of actual wing-backs and compromised a lot on our defense at the flanks.

I'd be surprised if Jose starts with a 3-X-X formation.

He used the 3-CB formations only when we were a goal down and were struggling to get back the opponents. Also in such formations, we used wingers instead of actual wing-backs and compromised a lot on our defense at the flanks.

Agreed. If/when Mourinho deviates from his standard formation(s) it's because he's desperately chasing a result. I doubt we ever start a game with a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 as that's not Mourinho's style; he's a very simple tactician. After we took the lead on Sunday he immediately went back to a conventional formation - to our detriment I thought, we were playing well and then became sloppy again after the change.

He used the 3-CB formations only when we were a goal down and were struggling to get back the opponents. Also in such formations, we used wingers instead of actual wing-backs and compromised a lot on our defense at the flanks.

But if we practice the defensive organization of the formation, it could actually be used much earlier. Especially as we have ivanovic who can slot in and become a CB easily.

Iva-cahill-terry-Luis

Fabregas-Matic

Willian-oscar-hazard

Costa

Can easily become

Iva-terry-cahill

Willian-fab-Matic-oscar-Luis

Costa-Hazard

Without making any substitution we can switch by 20mins into the firsthalf if we notice the opponent parking the westham bus.

But if we practice the defensive organization of the formation, it could actually be used much earlier. Especially as we have ivanovic who can slot in and become a CB easily.

Iva-cahill-terry-Luis

Fabregas-Matic

Willian-oscar-hazard

Costa

Can easily become

Iva-terry-cahill

Willian-fab-Matic-oscar-Luis

Costa-Hazard

Without making any substitution we can switch by 20mins into the firsthalf if we notice the opponent parking the westham bus.
It looks good on paper but it'll take much more effort to implement that system, especially the defensive side. Mourinho, being Mourinho is not going to ease on the defensive aspect. But if he can work it out, I reckon it'll work out. Anyways 3-CB formation is the trendy thing to do because of v.Gaal and Jose won't play that just because of that. :P

It looks good on paper but it'll take much more effort to implement that system, especit the defensive side. Mourinho, being Mourinho is not going to ease on the defensive aspect. But if he can work it out, I reckon it'll work out. Anyways 3-CB formation is the trendy thing to do because of v.Gaal and Jose won't play that just because of that. :P

IMO Mourinho will play that formation if it means we win and won't give a f*** about what people say.

Why not? With 3-6-1 the full backs can support the attack a lot more, and even help in the midfield. You might not even play with full backs, but with wingers with Willian/Ramires style, who will support the defense when its needed.

For example, Brazil won 2002 WC with 3-5-2 (some people say it was 5-2-1-2, or 3-4-3, but in Brazil we always considered that a 3-5-2 formation). The full-backs (Cafu and Roberto Carlos) were free to support the attack, they helped in the midfield a lot, but when things were ugly the team could easy adopt a 5-3-2 system.

I think its funny you said it might be risky, because I always saw 3-5-2 system as pragmatic one. Holland was a pragmatic side in World Cup and they took few risks (and think they were more 3-6-1 than 3-4-3 as some MU fans are claiming). 3-5-2 or 3-6-1 might be the perfect formation if you have the right players, for example, think about a full back like Marcelo, Dani Alves or even Azipilcueta, they might perfect for that system, but the only position that will suit Ivanovic in that system will be as one of the CB. He doesn't have the skills required to play in the mid, or to support the attack in the proper way. Thats system will suit players like Ramires/Willian as well, since one of the reasons Mourinho love both players is because of their defensive work rate.

I have advocated 3 5 2 against weaker sides for the last 6 years on here

Jose Morais has taken a year out to manage in the middle east, strange timing.

Better now, than in the middle of season, right?

Also Carlos Lalin joined Mourinho's backroom staff as assistant first-team fitness coach and gym manager from Real Madrid.

1405579580_extras_noticia_foton_7_1.jpg

Source :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2723141/Chelsea-assistant-coach-Jose-Morais-takes-one-year-sabbatical-manager-Saudi-Arabian-Al-Shabbab.html

Jose Morais has taken a year out to manage in the middle east, strange timing.

There were rumors back in May that he might do it, so it kind of makes sense that he leaves before the start of the season. I rather find strange all this 1-year sabbatial thing, does it mean he comes back next year?

I know that Carlos Lalin worked with injured players in Madrid, as a recovery coach and all that. I wonder if he'll fulfill this function in our club too. Otherwise we're going to have 3 fitness coaches :)

Jose Mourinho says he is happy with his Chelsea squad for now but admits he is always looking to improve it.

Mourinho is delighted with his transfer business this summer after drafting in Filipe Luis, Cesc Fabregas, Diego Costa and Didier Drogba, and has suggested his transfer window is now closed.

However the Blues boss says he is always on the look out for quality additions and there could be more activity before the deadline passes at the end of the month.

"Do I have any weakness in the side?" he said. "Every squad could be better. No manager is satisfied or has the perfect squad that can't be improved.

"But I like this squad. The club got me the three targets I asked for, in left back, midfield and striker - two strikers in fact as Drogba returned.

"We have the squad we want, it's not perfect. It's the squad for tomorrow, next season and the young players for the next five to 10 years."

However one position he is very happy with is central defence.

"I have Cahill, Ivanovic, Terry and Zouma, we are fine for cover," he added.

https://www.clubcall.com/chelsea/jose-drops-transfer-hint-1736077.html