The Mourinho Thread

I don't really think the change to a back 3 has worked the way it is supposed to, apart from getting the goals and winning the goal. There is definitely still a lack of cohesion when that happens. When the change was made against Norwich, we didn't really put them under any sustain pressure or created many chances. We left ourselves wide open at the back, which is understandable given the risk taken, and only scored the 2 goals from counter attacks - 1 with the help of defender and goalkeeper, the other a moment of individual brilliance.

Then against Cardiff, we already lost some control of the game before the change was made. And even after that, we still really couldn't control the game and were letting ourselves exposed whenever Cardiff attacked. The 2nd goal for us only came a corner clearance from Cardiff went straight back to us and after Eto'o scored, we switched back to a back 4.

Against Norwich, it did help turn the tide a bit. Norwich were all over us at the start of the second half.

It was also used against Everton. We were doing well before the switch then and not so well after the switch was made in that game. Still did not lose control of the game at any point with the 3 at the back

Atleast there is a real backup plan now rather than just minor tweaks to the system. Under the last few managers, I don't remember a major change in the way we played to chase results

I don't really think the change to a back 3 has worked the way it is supposed to, apart from getting the goals and winning the goal.

I think that's exactly what is supposed to do. It might be risky, but it creates chaos in the game when a structured approach hasn't proved fruitful. I actually like the adventure it requires to take that type of risk.

Against Norwich, it did help turn the tide a bit. Norwich were all over us at the start of the second half. It was also used against Everton. We were doing well before the switch and not so well after the switch was made in that game.

I think that was partly, if not more, owed to the fact Norwich was quite happy to just sit back and play on the break after they got their equalizer and could have scored themselves really.

Atleast there is a real backup plan now rather than just minor tweaks to the system. Under the last few managers, I don't remember a major change in the way we played to chase results

That I don't disagree at all.

I think that's exactly what is supposed to do. It might be risky, but it creates chaos in the game when a structured approach hasn't proved fruitful. I actually like the adventure it requires to take that type of risk.

I do admit it's kinda fun when watching such risks being taken (:lol:) as it's refreshing but like I said though, the back 3 system - may not have to be a really structured setup - has yet to work in a cohesive manner for us. It's still a bit of a mess.

The 3-5-2 is a trap to make the opposition come out of their shells and defensive shape to make us have more space to score.

If they still decide to sit back and not fall for the bait of our defence open, we basically flood the opponents box with more players than they are expected to mark with this formation and their defence still cracks eventually.

Its a high risk, high reward plan that works more times than it fails

The 3-5-2 is a trap to make the opposition come out of their shells and defensive shape to make us have more space to score.

If they still decide to sit back and not fall for the bait of our defence open, we basically flood the opponents box with more players than they are expected to mark with this formation and their defence still cracks eventually.

Its a high risk, high reward plan that works more times than it fails

tumblr_lwg6cwaMzA1qzjix8.gif

For the past three days I have watched footage of Jose on both Youtube and DVD and my love for this man just grows and grows. Nigh on everything he says fills you with an immense sense of immortality, that we can't be beaten, they can't be beaten whoever he managed at the time. His words, his look and his pure energy is quite something else. When he walks away from his team celebrating a victory, lifting a cup or anything else it's quite incredible how he just leaves his men take all the plaudits to then carry out interviews like water off a ducks back.

I remember Bolton in 2005, I was living at home with my parents. I sat down with a beer and watched everything that unfolded that day, and that image of him crying saying "From the heart ya know, I told them at half time that next time we are together we must be champions, now it's time for me to disappear and it's time for them, they are the men" Just an incredible day, incredible team and an incredible man, who is now back with us doing his thing.

I personally wouldn't want anyone other than Jose steering this ship, like most Chelsea fans I honestly think he is a complete and utter legend. Football needs characters like him, yes some people may not like him but I myself like variety, I like an edge, I like different and Jose offers that and more. I've heard other supporters saying "He's on edge" like his outburst v Cardiff, no he isn't, he just fucking cares, cares for this club, the supporters and his players. That bond is special you can't buy that, his players respect him, the fans respect him and by god is he good, he isn't just good he is quite superb.

They say nobody is bigger than the club and that's right, nobody is but one man that comes close IMO is Jose. For me this club realised they made a mistake they made getting shot years ago, they now have rectified the situation and given us back the man to steer us to more glory. I have said many things about this board and been proved wrong on many an occasion but what they have done to bring this man back is nothing short of incredible. Yes we have had many managers an interim one but nothing like the special one, he's part of us, he's part of what we do and what we are. He's part of our history, past and present and he is the man for Chelsea Football Club.

Me and my lad sit and watch old and new Chelsea games together for hours on end, he asks questions about players past and present, he asks about trophies how it all started and the most sensible question of all he asked once "What makes him special dad" We know the answer but in the head of a little boy new to everything Chelsea he has no idea, I explain to him exactly why he is special and he understands. The word he used and I kid you not my son used was "Respect" that is it for me in a nutshell, you cannot do anything else but respect the man for what he has won and brought to each and every club he has managed. The cuddle with Materazzi, the cry at Bolton, the celebration at The Camp Nou against Barcelona for Inter and probably the most memorable one was the one that was the start of the dream the touchline run and jump at Old Trafford when Costinha smashed home v United. That's what he brings, passion, but in the same point he brings passion but he leaves passion and respect because he delivers.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, this guy is a legend.

Agreed, he is the last of dying breed, some people just have it and some don't . He is brilliant :)

For the past three days I have watched footage of Jose on both Youtube and DVD and my love for this man just grows and grows. Nigh on everything he says fills you with an immense sense of immortality, that we can't be beaten, they can't be beaten whoever he managed at the time. His words, his look and his pure energy is quite something else. When he walks away from his team celebrating a victory, lifting a cup or anything else it's quite incredible how he just leaves his men take all the plaudits to then carry out interviews like water off a ducks back.

I remember Bolton in 2005, I was living at home with my parents. I sat down with a beer and watched everything that unfolded that day, and that image of him crying saying "From the heart ya know, I told them at half time that next time we are together we must be champions, now it's time for me to disappear and it's time for them, they are the men" Just an incredible day, incredible team and an incredible man, who is now back with us doing his thing.

I personally wouldn't want anyone other than Jose steering this ship, like most Chelsea fans I honestly think he is a complete and utter legend. Football needs characters like him, yes some people may not like him but I myself like variety, I like an edge, I like different and Jose offers that and more. I've heard other supporters saying "He's on edge" like his outburst v Cardiff, no he isn't, he just fucking cares, cares for this club, the supporters and his players. That bond is special you can't buy that, his players respect him, the fans respect him and by god is he good, he isn't just good he is quite superb.

They say nobody is bigger than the club and that's right, nobody is but one man that comes close IMO is Jose. For me this club realised they made a mistake they made getting shot years ago, they now have rectified the situation and given us back the man to steer us to more glory. I have said many things about this board and been proved wrong on many an occasion but what they have done to bring this man back is nothing short of incredible. Yes we have had many managers an interim one but nothing like the special one, he's part of us, he's part of what we do and what we are. He's part of our history, past and present and he is the man for Chelsea Football Club.

Me and my lad sit and watch old and new Chelsea games together for hours on end, he asks questions about players past and present, he asks about trophies how it all started and the most sensible question of all he asked once "What makes him special dad" We know the answer but in the head of a little boy new to everything Chelsea he has no idea, I explain to him exactly why he is special and he understands. The word he used and I kid you not my son used was "Respect" that is it for me in a nutshell, you cannot do anything else but respect the man for what he has won and brought to each and every club he has managed. The cuddle with Materazzi, the cry at Bolton, the celebration at The Camp Nou against Barcelona for Inter and probably the most memorable one was the one that was the start of the dream the touchline run and jump at Old Trafford when Costinha smashed home v United. That's what he brings, passion, but in the same point he brings passion but he leaves passion and respect because he delivers.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, this guy is a legend.

Really good post.

For me since I was growing up my favorite coach ever was hiddink.

It was a really great pleasure and honour to have that man, but Mourinho is something else.

I think if he can continue with his passion and enthusiasm for the club then in two decades we will be talking of him with great gratitude as people do with saf and United.

I mean is not not like people do now, but if he can sustain glory for decades like saf at our team that will be legendary.

The only manager that I can see rivaling him in this present time is klopp. I know a lot of people will say Guardiola but there's something about him that does not get me excited as when I see Mourinho or klopp on the line.

Now that saf has retired, the biggest coach name in the world will be Mourinho and klopp for me. And we are lucky at least to have one of them. :-)

Disagree...it's like saying "attack can beat any team, as long as you attack well". Mathematically, a team which has more possession of the ball has more probability to win the game. What's the point of defending for your lives and trying to catch your opponent on counter? It makes sense if you don't have players who can keep possession. A team like Chelsea should be playing possessional football and creating chances from normal play. A good manager is the one who adopts his tactics to skills of his players, not the other way around.

And whose fault is that Lampard and Ramires are in the pivot?

Mathematically? Did you watch our Park the Bus - Champions League Story - culminating in a Win?

The problem with statistics is interpretation - sure if you had 80% possession and 70% of it was attacking you might say you have a higher probability (note the word probability) to win the game - but there are no guarantees.

There's a lot more to football than possession - don't be fooled into the Spain/Barca mentality...

As for Lampard/Ramires - not too many other options, DeRossi would have been an awesome signing...

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2013/10/23/4946696/mourinho-start-chelsea-first-thirteen-matches

Something is happening!

"Here's an interesting fact I've just been made aware of:

In 2009 the UCL final was played in Italy

2010 winners were Italian when the final was played in Spain

2011 winners were Spanish when the final was played in England

2012 winners were some team from England when the final was played in Germany

2013 winners will be German when the final is being played in England

2014 winners will be......................."

geezer

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2013/10/23/4946696/mourinho-start-chelsea-first-thirteen-matches

Something is happening!

"Here's an interesting fact I've just been made aware of:

In 2009 the UCL final was played in Italy

2010 winners were Italian when the final was played in Spain

2011 winners were Spanish when the final was played in England

2012 winners were some team from England when the final was played in Germany

2013 winners will be German when the final is being played in England

2014 winners will be......................."

geezer

Arsenal.

LOL.

Today is big game for him.

I know he tried to play it down, but if Chelsea is to challenge for the title this season then we must show our selves here. We must do better then last season when we could not beat them even one game.