The Mourinho Thread

United are now at a stage where they need to start winning things. They're basically at the same stage we were when Mourinho came back. They have young players mixed with some experience ones.

Mourinho will probably do well for them in the first and second year. Hell, he might even win the title. But what will also happen is that he will fail to promote youth, play attacking Football and the players will eventually turn against him.

United would sell their future if they are to sign him up, even if it is for a league title. At the end of the story it would be one step forward, two steps back for Man United.

It cuts both ways. Others are absolving our seemingly petulant millionaires for their utterly inept performances because they didn't like their boss. Boohoo, it's not one's right to have a boss you like and no one manager is going to please every player he works with.

Love him or loathe him, there should be a minimum level of commitment displayed by these highly valued professionals week in, week out. Even if every single player in this squad hated José's guts there was absolutely no excuse for a team with our talent to be in the position we are in. In Mourinho's final season at Madrid, the one everybody loves to point to as evidence of his "third season syndrome", he finished what, second?

Express your opinions on his tactics or whatever else, but if folks are honestly going to let our squad off the hook with the shit we've seen this season because of big bad José then I'm really lost for words.

Exactly. Ray Wilkins mentioned a fair point on that on Fletch and Sav yesterday (from 2:00 till 3:15 in video below).

Was it right to bring him back though? I mean we were all jumping through hoops when he did, but was this the right thing to do? Last time there was cracks in the plaster, lots of discontent and a lot said he shouldn't come back because of the legacy he left previous. I don't doubt his quality as a manager but what I do question is his ability to change/ adapt a new style when things aren't going right. Forget the snakes, the rats or whatever you want to call them for a second and actually ask yourself did he do enough to change the style or line-up over the last few months? I don't think he did, he continued his favoured formation, he continued with his players that were under-performing and only an injury to Ivanovic saw him not selected, following that he was back in the side.

I like Mourinho and I have said before, I think he has stagnated as a manager. I think his tactical way has died out and I think he was scared of change and I also think his ego got the better of him far too often. There was times during a season I looked at him and thought "Your totally gone here" in terms of what to do or say. He wasn't pragmatic with his tactics and he wasn't when he spoke, he spoke in riddles. Teams came to us and knew what the drill was, it was contain, contain, contain but let us have the ball because on it we didn't really hurt anyone.

Not for one moment do I think it's all his fault, I think the players, the board and JM are all to blame hugely for what has been one of the biggest fall from graces in PL history. I can't comment on what was said over summer between board and manager but I know the outcome, average players bought and scraping the barrel. I think the board have also lost direction, I liken it to like a draw straws scenario rather than sitting and discussing things, like a hands up majority vote instead of solid decision making and a tunnel vision of positivity and a direction and outlook.

Nobody can change the fact JM is gone, personally I think it was the right decision, we couldn't continue the way it was going, but if it was me and the players were guilty of under-performing to get him out I would immediately smoke them out and they would be gone too. Again, it's not just players and manger in question, the board are massively to blame too and if they don't start getting their outlook and ideas onto the same hymn sheet we will continue to see this time and time again.

It's as if some people here are suffering from some weird form of Stockholm syndrome. Being exposed to cruel and horrible football and yet believing in these mind-manipulating phrases, bonding with a person who has destroyed one's joy in football, and completely submitting to a us-against-them mentality while completely abandoning reason, speaking in clichés, and spitting proofless myths.

The king is dead, long live the king.

Ha ha brilliant post.

Good response.

I respect this.

As well as I respect the fans chanting Mourinho and booing some of the players.

What I don't like is when someone like @Ossie the King, bad mouth Roman as not being one of us.

That to me is retarded and disgusting!

Because if it wasn't for this man vision, passion, time and money, Mourinho wouldn't have been here in the first place.

And not to forget the "Special One" would have been the "shit one" as AVB once alluded without the money to buy good players.

So really, chant Mourinho's name all you want, boo the players all you want but don't talk trash about Roman.

I understand your frustration at what I said. You don't know a Chelsea that wasn't owned by Roman, so maybe it's hard to imagine a club without him. In fact without Roman you may not have even decided to support Chelsea. Without those league wins you might well be a Liverpool or Arsenal supporter.

But Roman is a businessman first and foremost who decided he wanted to buy a club and we were the 'lucky' ones. He's certainly given us a lot but you don't get anything for free in this world and after more than a decade in charge, you have to ask what identity the club has now.

I understand your frustration at what I said. You don't know a Chelsea that wasn't owned by Roman, so maybe it's hard to imagine a club without him. In fact without Roman you may not have even decided to support Chelsea. Without those league wins you might well be a Liverpool or Arsenal supporter.

But Roman is a businessman first and foremost who decided he wanted to buy a club and we were the 'lucky' ones. He's certainly given us a lot but you don't get anything for free in this world and after more than a decade in charge, you have to ask what identity the club has now.

Do you even know who he is? How the fuck you call person a fake supporter? Have you even seen him? From where do you know that he started supporting Chelsea when Roman came in? Never liked you, because seems that only person that you Respect is Mourinho. You said that Roman don't love club, but in few years he gonna invest 500,000,000 pounds to a new stadium, if not Roman we would probably end up like Leeds.

Do you even know who he is? How the fuck you call person a fake supporter? Have you even seen him? From where do you know that he started supporting Chelsea when Roman came in? Never liked you, because seems that only person that you Respect is Mourinho. You said that Roman don't love club, but in few years he gonna invest 500,000,000 pounds to a new stadium, if not Roman we would probably end up like Leeds.

A. I didn't call him a fake supporter.

B. His profile says that he started supporting in 2007, 4 years after Roman arrived.

C. I respect many, many people.

D. Did I say Roman don't love club? I said he wasn't one of us. I don't think he is. I think we were lucky to get him but that money doesn't come without some drawbacks. We might have become Leeds, but we'd still be turning up every week.

and Zola agreed to leave BEFORE Roman bought the club , he was actually asked to change his decision

Not sure how true it actually is, but I heard an interview with Graeme Le Saux a few years ago where he was talking about the era and he actually said that he and Zola were promised new contracts if the team reached the CL but the plans changed after Roman came and that Zola had played it like it was his decision to leave because he didn't want to upset the fans and create hostility towards the new owner.

So your whole point is identity?

Okay I understand that.

Like I wrote somewhere before, I honestly believe that Roman wanted to make it work with Mourinho. He waited as much as he could until he had no choice

This really show me that they do want to build something but not if we are in the situation like we are, in 16 by December.

I'm sure they have now lower their expectations and might be something like what Wenger has, just finished in top 4.

That's my belief and I might be wrong but that's what it feels like it's going to happen from now on.

They won't fire a manager just for not winning anything like with carlo second season.

Course it was. He would still be here now if we'd the few players that were needed in the Summer that for some reasons -Abramovich, Maria, Emanalo wouldnt sanction. We would even be talking about CL qualification if Costa was firing on half the cylinders of 2014-15.

Mourinhos not flawless -but who is ? Arrogant and for all his intelligence, can ge pretty obtuse as well sometimes. The treatment of the doctor, and lack of empathy, I think made a lot of players decide 'I am not going to be told what to do by that bully'. The trouble with hierarchy is that you will have a group surrounding, who keep schtum, and darent criticise. This applies to Mourinho and Abramovich. So they let Mourinho dig his own grave to a certain extent, and some like Emanalo loaded the gun.

I believe we could have had continuity and continued success, but at a price that the board wouldnt sanction in terms of the emotional baggage, and fear that he became 'Mr Chelsea'.

Life goes on, and time to look forward now.

Good point.

I think they would much rather have someone like Carlo for a longer period of time then mourinho because of his personality.

It's a bit shame that it happened this late to figure that out, but hey better late than ever.

I do believe with all honesty that things are different. It seems expectations have changed. What I saw this season proves me that.

I think whoever is our next manager will be here for quite a long time. He's minimum objective would be that of Wenger, just finished top 4.