The Board

27 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Abramovich did the same - the difference being he is 100% into his football

But like the new owners he had no previous experience within football.

The people that he surrounded himself with at the highest level too (Buck, Tenenbaum, Marina) had no real experience within football either. Very much learning on the job.

He did make some key appointments like Peter Kenyon, Frank Arnesen, etc with a lot of football experience in key roles though, it's important that Boehly gets some of these appointments right in roles within the club (chief exec, sporting director, etc)

On 25/06/2022 at 13:21, OneMoSalah said:

Hardly 🤣 

Talk about throwing a respected and highly successful person under the bus now they are on their way out…. although I am glad she is being asked to stay available for the new owner at present because she is clearly good at her job and can still contribute.

Whether or not she picked signings (again I doubt it severely, she was the last person to sign off on deals, that was a given in her role - which prior to her was probably Roman, who also had the final sign off on some horrible signings but don’t see you saying his legacy will be poor or he picked players although he did push heavily for Sheva and Ballack) she wasn’t exactly going and watching players and picking them without input from others. That wasn’t her role and for years to have seen this nonsense branded around here by many users, it is simply moronic to assume she randomly had a brainwave and thought ok lets sign Kepa, Lukaku, Werner, Ziyech (or anyone else who struggled) etc and put these into motion herself. Just an easy target now shes on the way out.

In fact, I would go as far as saying, moronic isn’t even the word. This narrative comes from people who are living in some sort of deluded fantasy that previous managers and the scouting department shouldn’t shoulder a lot of the blame. They should. Clearly. In fact I would say 75% of the blame for bad transfers at least lies with them. Easily.

I mean to say our transfer record is as bad as Uniteds or Barcelona’s is absolutely mind blowing 🤣 I mean barring Liverpool and City recently every big club has had some shockers but thats the transfer market.

Our transfer record over the past 10, 11, 12, 13 years or so has been pretty good and Marina will have had final sign off on a lot.

I mean signings like Hazard, Mata, Costa, Courtois, Matic, Kante, Kovacic, Rudiger, Chilwell, Mendy, Silva, Cahill, Jorginho, Fabregas, Giroud, Alonso, Pedro, Willian, Azpilicueta, Ramires off the top of my head have all been successes and contributed to the club in a big way. 

Even the likes of de Bruyne, Salah, Lukaku (1st time round), Luiz all made the club shedloads of money as well as multiple other loanees to comply with FFP and be reinvested so this narrative that Marina has fucked hundreds of millions is absolutely mind boggling. Plus you look at the recent integration of Mount, James, Chalobah, the money raised by sales of Tomori (FL should of tried harder to play him and never let him go out on loan to Milan because he is a sore miss just now with AC and Rudi away) and Abraham, the academy has also served us well on and off the pitch. 

Ok she wasn’t the chief executive to 2014 but its widely been reported since 2010 she was Roman’s main representative at the club due to being his chief assistant and was heavily involved in transfers and contracts.

I think it shes goes elsewhere and is half as successful and makes an impression like she did here, some of you might start to see her value instead of making daft accusations that she alone is responsible for X, Y or Z. We complained about the board and others beforehand but personally I think with Marina leaving, it is a huge gap to fill.

And for your post to say what we won despite her? With despite her in bold. That is absolutely mental 🤣 She was hugely involved in getting Jose back as well as Conte and Tuchel in the door, in fact a lot would say she probably had the most involvement.  

Personally, I am of the opinion Granny had final say on transfers. This meant that she could kill a deal if she wanted to or she could get one through. 

Do I think she scouted players? No, I do not. 

Do I think she would push through deals that weren't necessarily what the manager wanted and/or what she was being told was a good player by other people? Yes, I do. 

The problem for me with Granny was that she was in the most powerful position in regard to signing players (outside of RA) but didn't have much judgement on whether they would be any good or not (as she doesn't have a football background.) As a result she didn't kill deals that should've been (I mean how many of us muppets on here would've killed the Lukaku deal if we had as much power as her, owing to us knowing he was a Donkey?.) 

I think with her, she just went on what was told and she played a version of Fantasy manager in selling players (she was good at this) to balance the books to fund the incoming players. However, she wasn't able to judge from a footballing perspective if the deal was good or not; just from a financial one; this is also why we kept on extending players like Baka and Batsh*t. 

For me, a DoF should have knowledge of football in order to make the final sign off as otherwise they're going to get blamed. It is the same in all industries, whoever is the one signing off the cheques is ultimately responsible (even if they've not done the leg work) as they've got overriding power to stop/push something through. 

Edited by King Kante

2 hours ago, Hermione said:

Not surprised Cech got sacked as well, everyone need to take it's fair share of punishment for buying that talentless hacker. It's because of people like him and Drogba, Marina pulled the trigger to buy that elephant. I still remember Drogba bigging this clown up after he got transferred.

We still won 3 trophies last 18 mths, the world cup and super cup with Lukaku! He was not a good fit for Tuchel and Chelsea's system! No need to insult him. Apart from Drogba and Deigo, how many strikers have done well in Chelsea and the no9 shirt?

'I'm scared of these new owners': Chelsea fans hit out at Todd Boehly's sweeping boardroom changes after Petr Cech becomes the latest stalwart to lose his job, with one fearing 'these Americans will finish our beloved club' 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10956503/Chelsea-fans-hit-Todd-Boehlys-sweeping-boardroom-changes-Petr-Cechs-departure.html

42 minutes ago, milka said:

'I'm scared of these new owners': Chelsea fans hit out at Todd Boehly's sweeping boardroom changes after Petr Cech becomes the latest stalwart to lose his job, with one fearing 'these Americans will finish our beloved club' 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10956503/Chelsea-fans-hit-Todd-Boehlys-sweeping-boardroom-changes-Petr-Cechs-departure.html

oh ffs

absolute bullshit shit stir by the Daily Hail

and PURE hypocrisy

as these same fans whinged on about Lukaku, who was brought in (and was wanted to remain here) in by the people leaving!!!

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

Romulus did nothing to help us win those trophies, if anything this fraud should be happy he left us with a World Club medal he will never sniff another one in his life.

As a matter of fact we went out against Real Madrid because this clown couldn't score an easy tap in with his head.

You must be suffering from amnesia but the scores for the final were 2-1 with Lukaku and Kai Havertz the scorers for Chelsea. He also scored the only goal in the semi finals. 1-0.

2 hours ago, King Kante said:

Personally, I am of the opinion Granny had final say on transfers. This meant that she could kill a deal if she wanted to or she could get one through. 

Do I think she scouted players? No, I do not. 

Do I think she would push through deals that weren't necessarily what the manager wanted and/or what she was being told was a good player by other people? Yes, I do. 

The problem for me with Granny was that she was in the most powerful position in regard to signing players (outside of RA) but didn't have much judgement on whether they would be any good or not (as she doesn't have a football background.) As a result she didn't kill deals that should've been (I mean how many of us muppets on here would've killed the Lukaku deal if we had as much power as her, owing to us knowing he was a Donkey?.) 

I think with her, she just went on what was told and she played a version of Fantasy manager in selling players (she was good at this) to balance the books to fund the incoming players. However, she wasn't able to judge from a footballing perspective if the deal was good or not; just from a financial one; this is also why we kept on extending players like Baka and Batsh*t. 

For me, a DoF should have knowledge of football in order to make the final sign off as otherwise they're going to get blamed. It is the same in all industries, whoever is the one signing off the cheques is ultimately responsible (even if they've not done the leg work) as they've got overriding power to stop/push something through. 

If she was a director of football all points would be valid. But she was a chief executive/director of the club. Not a director of football. Two different roles. Michael Emenalo is the closest thing we’ve had to a DoF. Petr Cech’s role too maybe had bits of it. 

She has final sign off on deals as she was effectively the most important or powerful person on the business side of it barring Roman himself. Undoubtedly. Does that mean she would be abrasive and push her own agenda re signings? I doubt it. Which is usually the narrative and has been for years which is incredibly mind numbing to read as its clear it isn’t. She was also heavily involved with getting and renewing club sponsorships etc so its clear she wasnt a director of football as when has any DoF been involved in thr commercial side of things? 

For players the managers didnt necessarily want, Most clubs (barring perhaps the City’s, Madrid’s, PSG’s who also have the pulling factor now as well as the vast finances) never have only one target 9\10 times unless its an exceptional circumstances or position, they have a plan B, C or D. Which again it is definitely run by a manager because why spend money on someone who wont bring a return on an investment? Mourinho on Zouma back in the day for instance, Zouma was suggested by someone in scouting and Mourinho OK’d it. Courtois and De Bruyne also scouted heavily by the club and suggested to Villas-Boas who said lets do it. Mata too. Also maybe there has been times when someone’s pushed for a player who financially is difficult to get (Lampard with Rice for instance was a big one) which yes she can pull the plug but I doubt she makes that decision alone as well. Or without other input. I mean good business people and leaders in successful organisations usually don’t make decisions without other input. 

Scouting of these players you named was a big issue. But again how often barring the exceptional circumstances do clubs get 99% of transfers right? There is a magnitude of things too, some players end up doing well at  some teams and then not doing well at others, some aren’t just up to the standard and then theres the circumstances where they just aren’t fancied by managers when coaches change and they end up rotting on the bench. Thats ultimately what has affected our transfers more than anything, player X Y or Z is for manager X Y or Z. Then we change and it goes tits up or they don’t fit or want to leave. No long term stability or plan is ultimately one of our worst enemies in sustaining success (although we’ve still managed to do well). 

5 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I'm not suffering from anything you're just delusional enough to believe him scoring a couple tap ins against some farmers means he contributed. He missed 3-4 more clear chances and if he didn't start we would've won 4-0 both matches, he hampered both games with his medieval touches and finger pointing. 

Move already to the Inter forum and spare us from that trash.

Whether they were tap ins or whatever, he still scored and we won the trophy!!! Jeez!!!

4 minutes ago, Fernando said:

If Cech and company was part of the screw up of getting Lukaku then they rightly deserve to go. 

Even regular people here in this forum knew it was a nuts idea! 

Rumblings Cech wanted the club to keep Lukaku for another season as he felt he showed he was strong in moments towards end of season. Not sure what he saw.

Also, talk he felt as if his authority was deteriorating with the new ownership so he felt it was right to go.

19 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

If she was a director of football all points would be valid. But she was a chief executive/director of the club. Not a director of football. Two different roles. Michael Emenalo is the closest thing we’ve had to a DoF. Petr Cech’s role too maybe had bits of it. 

She has final sign off on deals as she was effectively the most important or powerful person on the business side of it barring Roman himself. Undoubtedly. Does that mean she would be abrasive and push her own agenda re signings? I doubt it. Which is usually the narrative and has been for years which is incredibly mind numbing to read as its clear it isn’t. She was also heavily involved with getting and renewing club sponsorships etc so its clear she wasnt a director of football as when has any DoF been involved in thr commercial side of things? 

For players the managers didnt necessarily want, Most clubs (barring perhaps the City’s, Madrid’s, PSG’s who also have the pulling factor now as well as the vast finances) never have only one target 9\10 times unless its an exceptional circumstances or position, they have a plan B, C or D. Which again it is definitely run by a manager because why spend money on someone who wont bring a return on an investment? Mourinho on Zouma back in the day for instance, Zouma was suggested by someone in scouting and Mourinho OK’d it. Courtois and De Bruyne also scouted heavily by the club and suggested to Villas-Boas who said lets do it. Mata too. Also maybe there has been times when someone’s pushed for a player who financially is difficult to get (Lampard with Rice for instance was a big one) which yes she can pull the plug but I doubt she makes that decision alone as well. Or without other input. I mean good business people and leaders in successful organisations usually don’t make decisions without other input. 

Scouting of these players you named was a big issue. But again how often barring the exceptional circumstances do clubs get 99% of transfers right? There is a magnitude of things too, some players end up doing well at  some teams and then not doing well at others, some aren’t just up to the standard and then theres the circumstances where they just aren’t fancied by managers when coaches change and they end up rotting on the bench. Thats ultimately what has affected our transfers more than anything, player X Y or Z is for manager X Y or Z. Then we change and it goes tits up or they don’t fit or want to leave. No long term stability or plan is ultimately one of our worst enemies in sustaining success (although we’ve still managed to do well). 

I think once ME left she effectively absorbed his role. Now I do not think she was an out and out DoF but I think she took on a lot of the responsibilities of a DoF once ME left. 

This for me is seen in a few public instances: 

1) ME being on the bench with Conte for his last game at the club. The two of them hugged it out at the end (something I witnessed being there) this told me that they got on well and that they weren't happy with something at board level which is why ME was leaving. 

2) Cech came in after the disasters that were 2017 and Kepa in 2018. I think by that point Granny realised she wasn't getting the deals right/a good enough judge of footballing ability so need someone to help her a bit more with this and for someone to act as a bridge between board and playing staff/coaches. 

On the abrasive comment, there have been lots of comments from various people that she was or at the least 'very tough'. So, I think she was a strong personality that would finalise deals. 

For me, I don't think she scouted, but I do think she had final sign off. Now people can slice this which ever way i.e. she wasn't scouting so she wasn't a DoF or she was the person that just finalised deals. I think she was the latter, however, either way, if you're the one doing the final sign off, then ultimately you're responsible for the signing as you have the power to kill the deal. This is especially true in American sports where the GM gets held accountable most of the make up of the squads, even though they don't do the scouting. 

Thus, I don't see how she cannot get blame for the make up of the squad because her lack of judgement on footballing ability allowed her to sign off numerous deals that were poor value. 

It seems ironic that the club went through what felt like a lifetime of uncertainty and in no uncertain terms threats from Government and its media sources about our future existence, to now see just a few weeks after our future being secured, that same Government going down in the smoke of its own disgraces. 

What goes around, comes around.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...