The Board

ROM RAGE 

Chelsea European Super League exit due to Roman Abramovich feeling ‘livid’ at being ‘blindsided’ by backlash

Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck ultimately led the Blues' exit from the European Super League.

But it was Roman Abramovich's anger that brought the whole house of cards down.

The Chelsea owner is said to have been "blindsided" by the strength of the backlash to Sunday's announcement - and then "livid" that he had been misinformed about the likely reaction.

As the pressure grew, with fans gathering outside Stamford Bridge, Buck urged Abramovich and the club hierarchy to make moves to withdraw from the project.

And the billionaire oligarch agreed, shocked to the core by how quickly everything had fallen apart.

Abramovich and Chelsea started getting cold feet on Sunday when the stunning news about the Super League emerged and football united in its opposition to the breakaway.

According to a source, Abramovich "had no idea that there would be such a backlash".

Chelsea fan groups and former players were part of the chorus of disapproval.

And when it became clear that supporters were going to take their protest to Stamford Bridge and shut down Fulham Road, the writing was really on the wall.

Playing legend Petr Cech, now the club's technical and performance advisor, came out of the stadium to beg fans to allow the Chelsea and Brighton team coaches through ahead of the Premier League match.

But by then the Blues were already trying to disentangle themselves from a league that had been formally announced less than 48 hours earlier.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/14713129/Chelsea-abramovich-european-super-league-backlash-buck/

3 hours ago, Vesper said:

Bruce Buck is toast, the PL is going to force him out

the price you pay for being a dumb fuck!!

sorry

not sorry

Bruce

💩

In the same way Roman is too well thought of by Chelsea fans to suffer a lasting dip in his popularity due to the ESL flirtation, I think Bruce is too well thought of by Roman to loose his Job. In any case, we don't know where Bruce stood on ESL during the club's internal conversations. 

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

2 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

No I don't see how Buck survives this. Especially once the FA and UEFA gives out the punishment. 

Well, you may be right of course but I think there is big trust in Bruce. We will see.

As for the punishment, I'll believe it when I see it. A significant part of the value of Premier League overseas broadcast rights derives from the fact that people all over the globe want to watch Man Utd & Liverpool plus, to a lesser extent, Arsenal and, to a lesser extent again Chelsea, Man City & Spurs. For the Champions League, add Bayern and the Spanish giants then the story is the same. Albeit that it was designed before the ESL blew up, the new CL format recognises this and already gives the big clubs an easier path to the CL and its money. The current mood of the fans may embolden fifa, uefa, The Premier League 14, The FA, etc, but I think it's more likely they will continue to pander to these clubs than that they will bite the hand that feeds them.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

7 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

In the same way Roman is too well thought of by Chelsea fans to suffer a lasting dip in his popularity due to the ESL flirtation, I think Bruce is too well thought of by Roman to loose his Job. In any case, we don't know where Bruce stood on ESL during the club's internal conversations. 

does the EPL have the legal authority to force him out?

Bruce Buck is one name. He didnt solely decide the Super League was a good idea, a collection of people did at board level. They should all go. 

Also most of that statement is a joke. An absolute joke. “Due to time constraints” fuck off you spineless cunts you’ve been meeting with the other clubs regarding this for years, there has been plenty opportunities to get the fans opinions on it, as a hypothetical idea, same as the players and managers opinions. 

Embarrassing. Changes must be made. 

The whole point they make with that they only got time to reconsider after having already signed is embarrassing. They really think we are stupid enough to buy that. I would not actually care that much if they had at least cut the pretence and admitted that they thought the could get through with it bc the opportunity appeared too good but in the end regret not having consulted the fans and will do so next time. When you do something selfish blows up in your face, at least admit you were selfish and have learned from it. No sense in somehow justifying a stupid and egotistical decision.

• 1 year later...