John Stones

Sidzeret

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear the word potential thrown around too much nowadays that's it's lost its true meaning. Every U23 player that isn't already playing at a world class level ala messi,CR7,Ronaldo lima were at that age are seen as potential by some which is ridiculous and then you also get those that only use it to strengthen their agenda which is why stones is seen as "potential" and Sterling isn't for example, rather the later is a "good enough and ready to start/contribute right away pro" and the former is just a glorified Christensen.

Where does one draw the line between a potential talent and a very good proven young professional player with scope to develop even further. To me potential is what you use to describe the likes of RLC, Musonda, Patrick Roberts of this world. Once you are playing regularly at the pro level and have proven yourself at the topflight (which stones already has) you are no longer a "potential".

And why is Stones not good enough right now to be a starter for us and we have to wait 2 years for him. He's not some youth football level player ffs, he's a premier league player and one of the very best in his age group and position in europe and it's not like his main competition (cahill) is a world beater either. The stones that i saw last season is definitely superior to cahill.

Honestly people are underrating Stones too much on here. His performance level in the EPL and in europe proves he's very capable for the job indeed and if he wasn't Jose and the board wouldn't be willing to spend so much money on him.

I hear the word potential thrown around too much nowadays that's it's lost its true meaning. Every U23 player that isn't already playing at a world class level ala messi,CR7,Ronaldo lima were at that age are seen as potential by some which is ridiculous and then you also get those that only use it to strengthen their agenda which is why stones is seen as "potential" and Sterling isn't for example, rather the later is a "good enough and ready to start/contribute right away pro" and the former is just a glorified Christensen.

Where does one draw the line between a potential talent and a very good proven young professional player with scope to develop even further. To me potential is what you use to describe the likes of RLC, Musonda, Patrick Roberts of this world. Once you are playing regularly at the pro level and have proven yourself at the topflight (which stones already has) you are no longer a "potential".

And why is Stones not good enough right now to be a starter for us and we have to wait 2 years for him. He's not some youth football level player ffs, he's a premier league player and one of the very best in his age group and position in europe and it's not like his main competition (cahill) is a world beater either. The stones that i saw last season is definitely superior to cahill.

Honestly people are underrating Stones too much on here. His performance level in the EPL and in europe proves he's very capable for the job indeed and if he wasn't Jose and the board wouldn't be willing to spend so much money on him.

you had it right up until the bolded section. Its one thing to make a go of it for a season or two in the top flight, for Stones to reach his potential he needs his career to kick on even further. John has the potential to be much better than just a regular performer in the Prem, he can be great thats what he needs to do to fulfill his true potential.

He is good enough to start for us right now its just a matter of how much pressure you want to put on his shoulders at the age of 21. This isn't Everton, when he makes mistakes there its not vilified in every newspaper on seen all over the world by millions. To excel at the level Chelsea are now at you need to slow the maturation and build the players confidence. Zouma is a perfect example of how a young CB should be groomed, Stones is further ahead in his development so I expect him to play more than Zouma did for us... Perhaps spelling Brana at RB as well.

34million. why not? infact lets set the transfer record with a 50mil bid.

whats worse is that its not even needed. we have glaring deficiencies in the CM department and the goal scoring department but apparently we want to buy a 20mil (max) worth defender as the answer to the defence which conceded the least goals.

whats even worse is that GC will still get the nod ahead of stones.

hahahahahaha worst post on talk chelsea hahahahaha omg what a shit post

Really? That is all you have to say? Into the trash goes your opinion. Come back with something interesting next time.

You didnt even watch Darmian you should first watch football and then say somethink.

because the manager is making it clear that he's only buying one more player, a CB. any other purchase will be if a player leaves. Ramires and Mikel are going nowhere.

Like he made it perfectly clear in his first season back he was done buying then along came Eto'o and Willian....

Don't believe a word Jose says, mate. Lol.

John Stones wants to be given the chance to discuss the possibility of moving to Chelsea with the Premier League champions ready to make a fresh bid to take the centre half to Stamford Bridge.

Sources close to the player say the Everton defender would relish the chance to play Champions League football but he is unlikely to create trouble in the way Raheem Sterling did to force his move from Liverpool.

But the fact that he is now unsettled will give way for Chelsea's second £26m bid, expected imminently.

-source: Mail

you had it right up until the bolded section. Its one thing to make a go of it for a season or two in the top flight, for Stones to reach his potential he needs his career to kick on even further. John has the potential to be much better than just a regular performer in the Prem, he can be great thats what he needs to do to fulfill his true potential.

He is good enough to start for us right now its just a matter of how much pressure you want to put on his shoulders at the age of 21. This isn't Everton, when he makes mistakes there its not vilified in every newspaper on seen all over the world by millions. To excel at the level Chelsea are now at you need to slow the maturation and build the players confidence. Zouma is a perfect example of how a young CB should be groomed, Stones is further ahead in his development so I expect him to play more than Zouma did for us... Perhaps spelling Brana at RB as well.

No. That only applies if you are taking the word potential quite literally. in that sense every player with scope to develop regardless of age, maturity and experience is a potential.

To me there is an hierachy to this. at the very top you have your veterans: hugely experienced players who have been there and done it all and past their prime. Ranging from the great ones like Xavi, Casillas, JT et al to the not so great ones like kevin Nolan, john o'shea et al and even to the crap ones like Heskey, ameobi et al.

Then a level below that are your established professionals: who are also highly experienced and very much at the pinnacle of their careers or close to it. This is pretty much every footballer with 5 plus years as a pro. Ranging from the greats : Messi,Ronaldo, Fabregas et al to the average ones like Mikel, Nasri (virtually every competent pro footballers with many years experience at the top flight really) and to the crap/limited ones like Jozy altidore and pretty much ever established pro stealing a living.

Then a level below that are your professionals: Players who have atleast one year plus of excellent experience at the top flight and have managed to secure a starting or very regular position at their respective clubs and proven to have the capability of handling the top flight level. basically the "Mama I made it" this is the category where someone like Stones and Zouma (he was a pro at St Etienne before joining us) belong.

A level down are your potentials and prospects: These are basically the youth and reserve team players who haven't made the big transition yet or may never do so. Limited appearances in the first team like in the COC,fa cup and league doesn't count here so your James Wilson (man utd), RLC et al are still prospects.

To me it's wrong and unfair to class the pro in the same category as the potentials/prospects/wonderkids.

John Stones eager for Chelsea transfer as Everton eye up Blues' bevy of loan stars in return for hotly-tipped defender.

John Stones is keen to speak with Chelsea about a potential transfer

Everton defender is expected to leave if the Blues offer above £30million

The Toffees may ask Chelsea the offer them another defender on loan

Everton would have an interest in Kurt Zouma but he is unlikely to leave

LINK. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3169561/John-Stones-eager-Chelsea-Everton-eye-Blues-bevy-loan-stars-return-hotly-tipped-defender.html#ixzz3gXa0AXCE

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never Zouma (NEVER!), but I would be delighted if Nathan Aké could be on loan with Everton next season. Everton is a team that usually fight to be among the best 10 teams of Premier League (maybe they could reach Uefa League...) and Ake could be a good leader for them and come back with us in a similar situation to Courtois.

They have Leighton Baines with nearly 31 years as
left-back, and maybe Aké could find a place in that position in their starting eleven. Or at the place of Gareth Barry (34 years) in the midfield.

Never Zouma (NEVER!), but we gaven Nathan Aké on loan to Everton that could be a great deal for us for the future.
Bamford with Crystal Palace and Nathan Aké with Everton.

And Nathan Aké is one of the great jewels of our Academy. I am sure that Everton would accept the deal. Perhaps this could unblock the negotiation.

Regards.

I personally think that Kurt Zouma took huge strides last season and is an extremely large talent that Im delighted to have in the team. Having said that, it goes without saying that having Cahill, Terry, Stones and Zouma will lead to one youngster having minimal playing time, which will impact their development.

To me, the options are to either not buy Stones and keep Zouma, or to buy Stones and loan out one of the two to Everton. Their CB situation almost guarantees playing time, while at the same time the other player can get some decent minutes here. I am happy with that, as we are still a few years from seeing a CB pairing of Stones-Zouma (although I really want to see that happen).

He's a John and wears a 26 blue shirt. Some things are just inevitable.

Jokes aside, this transfer is looking very complicated. But on the bright side we're probably the only team that is willing to pay so much for him right now. City already spent big on Mangala and United is not really short of homegrown players, they are regularly linked to experienced players like Hummels or Ottamendi.

If he's concerned about having guarenteed first team football for a chance to get into England's Euros squad then just sign him and loan him straight back to Everton. I reckon the toffees would be more likely to accept the transfer then; they have another year of their best defender and can spend that year looking for a replacement.

For us it works too; with JT, Cahill, Zouma and Stones 1 is going to miss out quite a bit over the course of the season. JT can't keep going forever and (although I seem to say this every year) he may well decline this year and need to be replaced next year, when Stones will be ready to step in alongside Cahill and Zouma as 3 of our 4 CBs.

(I'm assuming Ivan will be available for 4th choice CB cover in this scenario btw).

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You