David Luiz

the wes

Looked very nervy ,needs to get his head back together ,Palace was a good game for him but he still needed JT to bail him out ,Cahill was injured and needed a rest but he and JT still look our most secure until David gets some confidence back ,this league does nobody any favours and any weakness is pounced on unlike Portugal.

:fainthv9:

Phil Driver is back...

I would like to see Iva - Luiz tested as CB pair more.

Azpi - Iva - Luiz - Cole

Iva - Luiz was done before and it was absolutely horrendous. No communication whatsoever. Must be the language difference.

I can't imagine many fans would want us to sign a 26 year old for £30 million who still plays with the same faults he had at 23.

That's the bottom line - his staunchest supporters aren't supporting David Luiz. They're supporting who David Luiz COULD be and it's been the same argument ever since he got here. That's why I threw in Zouma's name. I know that he's young and that you're buying potential when you sign him, but that's still very much the case with Luiz.

When John Terry was 26, we weren't still talking about what he could be because he was already at the top of his game. David Luiz is roughly the same age as Vincent Kompany - when you think about the maturity in both of their games then you have to wonder if Luiz will ever actually make that step-up everyone wants him to.

This is what I was saying last year when there was talk of £40m from Barca.

It's hard to imagine anyone here would not even consider selling Luiz in the region of £35-40m mark. It's insane money for a player who has honestly not dramatically changed a vast amount since he arrived from Benfica. He's improved, but we're still waiting for this consistent world-class defender to show up.

Iva - Luiz was done before and it was absolutely horrendous. No communication whatsoever. Must be the language difference.

This is what I was saying last year when there was talk of £40m from Barca.

It's hard to imagine anyone here would not even consider selling Luiz in the region of £35-40m mark. It's insane money for a player who has honestly not dramatically changed a vast amount since he arrived from Benfica. He's improved, but we're still waiting for this consistent world-class defender to show up.

No it's not hard to imagine. . . it's called fanboyism and it is a condition that has been known to cloud people's judgement and/or distort reality.

Zouma. Possibly Mangala.

You realy think a 19 y.o. from ligue 1 will just slot in our defence and make indestructible wall?

What makes great defence is two cbs in prime with months if not years of playing together and put two fine full backs and class GK and you have top defence. Zouma, 19 y.o. wont solve it Im afraid. Problem is that there are not many available top CBs around...

You realy think a 19 y.o. from ligue 1 will just slot in our defence and make indestructible wall?

No. I think he could grow in the team though and that's what David Luiz's supporters say about him as well.

The difference is that one is 19 and the other is 26 and has been here since 2011. You still get people saying his best position might not even be as a defender for fucks sake.

Why are we discussing David btw? After a month away he comes back, has a decent performance, we *only* concede once and he is not the one marking the scorer... After been conceding 3 goals a game, are we complaining about what exactly?

THis talk about potential is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard... do you really think Barca and Bayer would buy Luiz for his potential?! They want him for his current ability! What he does on the pitch right now is what they want. They play total football, with technical players in every position, and not with stoic CB inside their own goal.

puzzling thread...

Why are we discussing David btw? After a month away he comes back, has a decent performance, we *only* concede once and he is not the one marking the scorer... After been conceding 3 goals a game, are we complaining about what exactly?

THis talk about potential is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard... do you really think Barca and Bayer would buy Luiz for his potential?! They want him for his current ability! What he does on the pitch right now is what they want. They play total football, with technical players in every position, and not with stoic CB inside their own goal.

puzzling thread...

So you're saying that David Luiz is as much the finished article as someone like Kompany is?

We bought him at age 23 for his potential and he still has the same deficiencies. Maybe Bayern and Barca could cover those in their team better than we can but that's why not many fans would turn down one of the bids being touted in the press.

So you're saying that David Luiz is as much the finished article as someone like Kompany is?

We bought him at age 23 for his potential and he still has the same deficiencies. Maybe Bayern and Barca could cover those in their team better than we can but that's why not many fans would turn down one of the bids being touted in the press.

What do you or any of us know about this?

We have absolutley NO idea what Mourinho instructs our defenders to do. Maybe we bought and want Luiz to play the way he does? He has a somewhat unique style compared to Terry or Cahill.

What you might say then is something about the mistakes he does, well what defender or player for that matter doesnt? And dont even try to go down the path saying that Luiz makes more mistakes than anyone else. Its a fact that people look past the mistakes that Cahill does more than when Luiz makes them. Or they simply focus on looking more at Luiz and as soon as he does something that didnt turn out the way he/you wanted, they go "oh here we go again".

I'm not saying it, the transfer market is. All you have to do is listen to what it has to say.

Our personal preferences should go only so far...

What do you or any of us know about this?

We have absolutley NO idea what Mourinho instructs our defenders to do. Maybe we bought and want Luiz to play the way he does? He has a somewhat unique style compared to Terry or Cahill.

What you might say then is something about the mistakes he does, well what defender or player for that matter doesnt? And dont even try to go down the path saying that Luiz makes more mistakes than anyone else. Its a fact that people look past the mistakes that Cahill does more than when Luiz makes them. Or they simply focus on looking more at Luiz and as soon as he does something that didnt turn out the way he/you wanted, they go "oh here we go again".

Exactly this! I have been saying this since last season, Luiz doesn't make many more mistakes then any other top defender in the world! only difference with Luiz is when he makes a mistake people act like its the end of the world!

Luiz is one of the top 5 CB's in the world imo! I guarantee if you asked players like Rooney or Aguero how good Luiz is they will tell you he is a top class defender! people listen to clueless people in the media too much!

people are taking pot-shots at cahill but defending luiz... :philjones:philjones

Yeah all those crazies who prefer the 30m-rated and sougth-after player over the 7m no one wants. :rolleyes:

People of course can have their own personal preferences, but consider that you may actually be the crazy ones.

Are people really expecting DL to come back after a month of being out and barely playing in about two months and expecting him to be world class straight away? Unbelievable.

Same people who were crying for him to be back when we conceded 3 goals against Stoke and Sunderland. They are just weird.