David Luiz

the wes

He had a great start to the season but yes, he's been off and on since. Still, he's plenty good enough to be able to rotate into the CB position when needed. I actually think we have the perfect depth and flexibility at the back now. IMO, we should be rotating 6 players for 4 positions (Cole at LB, Ivanovic at RB and CB, Azpilicueta at RB and LB and Terry, Luiz, and Cahill at CB.) Enough game time to keep everyone happy and enough depth to keep players rested.

I think the team's performance again proved my point. This defense needs rotating and Ivanovic isn't the answer to that. We have a good depth, but another squad player (same level as Cahill or plus), around age 25 CB wouldn't hurt at all because one of our CB's gets injured and we are where we found ourselves now: helpless with tired players, counting on a squad player to do world class defending when it's beyond him.

David Luiz is severely missed and I know Mourinho feels the same.

Probably (hopefully) next game.

It doest make any difference. If he made a mistake probably Cahill will start the next one, then Cahill will have a bad game, then Luiz the next one. Thats not how the things work, Mourinho must decide who are their CB pair, and give then confidence. Luiz is a better footballer than Cahill, after he made a mistake against Everton, he wasn't even on the bench for the next PL game. Not sure if thats how you deal with your players, specially when we know that some players keep playing no matter how the quality of their games are.

It doest make any difference. If he made a mistake probably Cahill will start the next one, then Cahill will have a bad game, then Luiz the next one. Thats not how the things work, Mourinho must decide who are their CB pair, and give then confidence. Luiz is a better footballer than Cahill, after he made a mistake against Everton, he wasn't even on the bench for the next PL game. Not sure if thats how you deal with your players, specially when we know that some players keep playing no matter how the quality of their games are.

Hmm, I get your point but hopefully the last few performances has opened Mou's eyes and made him realise that it'd be better to just stick with Luiz because he brings so much more to the team anyway.

Cahill isn't even 'on form' anymore at the moment so there is no reason to play him ahead of Luiz anymore.

I have a mental image of Thiago Silva reading some of the stuff wrote in this thread and laughing his face off.

On a serious note, i have said it for years, Luiz may be prone to the odd rush of blood (so was Carvalho, but he had a JT in his prime and the best defensive mid off all time to cover and make sure when he did, it wasn't costly, Luiz doesn't have the same luxury) but what he brings to the table by far outweighs any risk. For one stupid error he makes, Cahill will make about 15 were he fucks up with the offside trap or is spun/tricked by an opposition player.

I think we need to look at a long term partner for him, Terry has played well this season, but he has just turned 33, he will hit father time at some point, and we need to prepare for that eventuality, not wait for it to happen.

Sometimes it's not about making mistakes, but how one copes with the threat the opposition poses.

At least that's how I rate defenders.

The way we've been (NOT!) defending don't think Luiz will help that much aside from upping our ball possession a bit.

Love. Re watch the first goal and pay attention to the man marking crouch... Then watch stokes second goal, and you might notice a chelsea player backing off a that goal occurs... Thirdly watch said players general positioning, ball control/ passing ... after that , ( remove your English tainted glasses) and simply think, with said player( Cahill of course) will chelsea win any significant trophy ? I personally don't think so, but it is my opinion.

I think the team's performance again proved my point. This defense needs rotating and Ivanovic isn't the answer to that. We have a good depth, but another squad player (same level as Cahill or plus), around age 25 CB wouldn't hurt at all because one of our CB's gets injured and we are where we found ourselves now: helpless with tired players, counting on a squad player to do world class defending when it's beyond him.

David Luiz is severely missed and I know Mourinho feels the same.

He did,in fact, say the same. He wants Luiz to come back so he can rotate....

The effects of playing the same back four have been clearly felt....6 goals in the last two games makes for real poor reading.