David Luiz

the wes

^^^^Because Cahill WAS SIGNED FOR ALMOST NOTHING and his expectations aren't high, no one believe he was EVER WORLD CLASS. While Luis is one of the best CB in the world according to many people on here, so of course he would be under more pressure to perform. And your comments about supporting Arsenal/Liverpool, typical blue tinted glasses supporters who refuse to look anywhere beyond your own team.

So Arsenal/Liverpool is just ahead of us on points and goal differences by pure luck? There is credit where it is due and criticism when needed, not just 1 or the other only.

This is the most retarded arguement you could EVER use.

So basically you are saying that because Cahill was cheaper than Luiz we should keep Cahill even though Luiz is better?

And HAHAHAHAHA that you mention the table and goal differance. How many games did Luiz start this season? Or more importantly, the last 6 games?

You are the definition of clueless.

This is the most retarded arguement you could EVER use.

So basically you are saying that because Cahill was cheaper than Luiz we should keep Cahill even though Luiz is better?

And HAHAHAHAHA that you mention the table and goal differance. How many games did Luiz start this season? Or more importantly, the last 6 games?

You are the definition of clueless.

Can you stop using the word retarded. It's not that it's offensive, it's just incredibly fucking boring reading it in every one of your insult-laden posts.

We judge players by what they're capable of. Cahill is a far more limited defender than Luiz but he tends to maximise his potential ability in most games.

David Luiz is one of the most gifted defenders in world football IN THEORY. He has tremendous physical tools, he has fantastic technique and is possibly one of the most complete footballers in the world relative to their position IN THEORY. The knock on him is that he doesn't play to his limits in enough games and that seems to be a mental thing. To be that main guy, that rock like Terry or Kompany then you need to give 100% in every game and Luiz doesn't do that.

He was brilliant last season lol... I can name so many matches he was horrible, please don't let his goals against Basel, Fulham to overcloud your true judgment of him.

:fainthv9::fainthv9::fainthv9:

I Guarantee i could name far more games where Luiz was brilliant compared to the few where he was poor! Your clearly one of those people who think the world is going to end when Luiz makes a mistake!

Last season Luiz had spells where he was world class at CB game after game for weeks then he could make a mistake and people like you would start crying and be like 'he cant defend' ect while conveniently forgetting how good he had been in previous weeks!

your probably also the type of person who when you see the likes of Kompany, Vidic, T.Silva, Dante, Ramos, Puyol ect make mistakes you probably see it as an uncharacteristic mistake when in actual fact Luiz doesn't make much more mistakes then any of those guys!

your probably also the type of person who when you see the likes of Kompany, Vidic, T.Silva, Dante, Ramos, Puyol ect make mistakes you probably see it as an uncharacteristic mistake when in actual fact Luiz doesn't make much more mistakes then any of those guys!

I wouldn't include Ramos or Dante in that list to be honest. Players like Kompany, Vidic, Silva and Puyol always seem to give 100% for the cause and when a player makes a mistake whilst doing that, it's easier to forgive them.

Luiz's mistakes come from brainfarts. That's a lot harder for supporters to overlook because it can come off as not caring (look at the Cardiff performance for one of the most disrespectful performances I've seen in a long time).

Can you stop using the word retarded. It's not that it's offensive, it's just incredibly fucking boring reading it in every one of your insult-laden posts.

We judge players by what they're capable of. Cahill is a far more limited defender than Luiz but he tends to maximise his potential ability in most games.

David Luiz is one of the most gifted defenders in world football IN THEORY. He has tremendous physical tools, he has fantastic technique and is possibly one of the most complete footballers in the world relative to their position IN THEORY. The knock on him is that he doesn't play to his limits in enough games and that seems to be a mental thing. To be that main guy, that rock like Terry or Kompany then you need to give 100% in every game and Luiz doesn't do that.

I don't think it's a mental thing...he just seems underappreciated at Chelsea.

Luiz goes through a rough patch of form..and you'd think he's the worst defender to ever play for Chelsea...after reading some of the comments on this thread

If you put Luiz on a team with a decent midfield, capable of retaining posession, you'll see him shine.

Luiz goes through a rough patch of form..and you'd think he's the worst defender to ever play for Chelsea...after reading some of the comments on this thread

If you put Luiz on a team with a decent midfield, capable of retaining posession, you'll see him shine.

Unappreciated is a weak term to use, he isn't unappreciated at all he's a super player but does things that make you say "What the fuck is he doing"

What has him or anyone making errors got to do with the midfield?

Form is one thing. This season he's been dropped twice and not unjustly.

My problem is his level of commitment, especially in what he might consider 'smaller games'. I don't think he's underappreciated either, I just think Chelsea fans expect defenders to give their all in every game and not throw in boneheaded mistakes.

It's not a media myth either. When he does something stupid like he did for Mutch's goal, the reaction isn't one of surprise but exasperation.

I wouldn't include Ramos or Dante in that list to be honest. Players like Kompany, Vidic, Silva and Puyol always seem to give 100% for the cause and when a player makes a mistake whilst doing that, it's easier to forgive them.

Luiz's mistakes come from brainfarts. That's a lot harder for supporters to overlook because it can come off as not caring (look at the Cardiff performance for one of the most disrespectful performances I've seen in a long time).

I dont know how you can say Luiz doesn't give 100%! Maybe you can question some performances this season but every game he has played for the club apart from a few this season i have always felt he has given everything! It wasn't long ago when people were saying Luiz can be our future captain!

1. "Tends to maximise his potential ability" - Has to be the most non-grappable thing Ive ever read. Doesnt mean anything and you base that on nothing.

2. "A mental thing" - What are you referring to? Are you a pshycologist? Do you know David Luiz?

3. "Doesnt give 100% every game" - What the HELL do you know about this? If there is ANYONE that puts their heart out there, who really fights for the team, Luiz is one of them.

Last, but not least, when Luiz plays we have more pace in the defense, he makes better interceptions, he offers more and better passing which speeds up our counter and buildup play.

You guys know nothing of what the situation with Luiz is. We sure knew what kind of defender he was and is. Maybe we're after that? Maybe Chelsea and Mourinho likes the way he plays because it offers some unpredictablity and versatility in our defense?

Oh and also, which is something many people forget: There is no I in team.

VERY rarely is there one player to blame for a loss or goal conceded. You remember the Luiz/Cech incident? What do we know about that? Was it something Cech said? Something Luiz said? Something none of them didnt say or did say? Also during a counter or when we're defending, its not only the CB's or more specifically Luiz who is to blame if something goes wrong. There is SO MUCH MORE at play.

I dont know how you can say Luiz doesn't give 100%! Maybe you can question some performances this season but every game he has played for the club apart from a few this season i have always felt he has given everything! It wasn't long ago when people were saying Luiz can be our future captain!

I watch the Cardiff game and see a guy who looked like having to play this team was beneath him, but it doesn't cost the guy who has brought his kid on the train to the match, got him a burger and been dragged around the club shop any less. Then I see him shirk a challenge away to Newcastle in front of fans who have travelled hundreds of miles to support the club.

You don't make the class clown captain. To me, Luiz is the guy you put next to the rock of your defence.

Form is one thing. This season he's been dropped twice and not unjustly.

My problem is his level of commitment, especially in what he might consider 'smaller games'. I don't think he's underappreciated either, I just think Chelsea fans expect defenders to give their all in every game and not throw in boneheaded mistakes.

It's not a media myth either. When he does something stupid like he did for Mutch's goal, the reaction isn't one of surprise but exasperation.

Well with Luiz, you take the good with the bad

As a chelsea supporter, I don't mind the odd Luiz error...because thats the time of player he is.

1. "Tends to maximise his potential ability" - Has to be the most non-grappable thing Ive ever read. Doesnt mean anything and you base that on nothing.

2. "A mental thing" - What are you referring to? Are you a pshycologist? Do you know David Luiz?

3. "Doesnt give 100% every game" - What the HELL do you know about this? If there is ANYONE that puts their heart out there, who really fights for the team, Luiz is one of them.

Last, but not least, when Luiz plays we have more pace in the defense, he makes better interceptions, he offers more and better passing which speeds up our counter and buildup play.

You guys know nothing of what the situation with Luiz is. We sure knew what kind of defender he was and is. Maybe we're after that? Maybe Chelsea and Mourinho likes the way he plays because it offers some unpredictablity and versatility in our defense?

1. I base it on watching the matches, same as everyone else. Plus it reads fine to me.

2. I'm referring to what I see on the pitch, same as everyone else here.

3. I disagree.

I agree he's faster and capable of making interceptions and passing the ball out of defence better than our other options - in fact I've never said any differently. My point isn't about what he's capable of, but what he actually shows on the pitch week-in and week-out.

Let's put it another way. David Luiz is one of my favourite players on FIFA 14 because he has fantastic stats. He's fast, technically fantastic, good in the air and that's all very true to life. The problem comes with who is controlling him. Great sportsmen aren't just great because of their physical tools. What sets them apart is their mental make-up and that's where EVERY SINGLE CRITICISM of Luiz stems from. You will never see anyone criticise him for being too slow or having a poor touch (like you might hear of Cahill).

It's the top two inches.

Well with Luiz, you take the good with the bad

As a chelsea supporter, I don't mind the odd Luiz error...because thats the time of player he is.

Exactly my point. Luiz is who Luiz is and you can't change that (apparently....sadly).

Maybe it's personal preference but I like stability and predictability in my defenders. My time supporting Chelsea has been with players like Erland Johnson, Desailly and Terry. It's why I hate that we missed out on Vincent Kompany.

I watch the Cardiff game and see a guy who looked like having to play this team was beneath him, but it doesn't cost the guy who has brought his kid on the train to the match, got him a burger and been dragged around the club shop any less. Then I see him shirk a challenge away to Newcastle in front of fans who have travelled hundreds of miles to support the club.

You don't make the class clown captain. To me, Luiz is the guy you put next to the rock of your defence.

Your clearly frustrated with those performances! which is understandable but those performances do not sum Luiz up! those were uncharacteristic performances from him! I guarantee Luiz will shut a lot of people up once again this season!

Your clearly frustrated with those performances! which is understandable but those performances do not sum Luiz up! those were uncharacteristic performances from him! I guarantee Luiz will shut a lot of people up once again this season!

once again? when has he ever shut his critics up. playing well for 2 or 3 games then making a brainfarted mistake the next game, rinse, washed and repeat over the course of the season. that's the summary of Luiz's chelsea career. when he cuts out the brainfarts, shows focus and full commitment, improves his decision making, anticipation, tactical awareness and so on, then I will be the 1st to commend him.

Ramires and Drogba (to a lesser extent) were the only chelsea players that I have seen shut the critiques up in recent times and they didn't need 10 seasons and 220 gazzilion months to turn it around either. when and if ever Luiz becomes a real and consistent defender, I will have no problem giving him his due props just like I did with ramires. for now he's nothing more than a technically gifted but distinctively and un-remarkably average defender as much as that assessment might hurt the feelings of his "fans".

I have always maintained talent means nothing if not correctly applied.. . .so all the "luiz is very talented" talk doesn't impress me one bit. give me a limited but amazingly consistent and great defenders like JT, hyypia, carragher et al in their primes over a Luiz any day of the week

Exactly my point. Luiz is who Luiz is and you can't change that (apparently....sadly).

Maybe it's personal preference but I like stability and predictability in my defenders. My time supporting Chelsea has been with players like Erland Johnson, Desailly and Terry. It's why I hate that we missed out on Vincent Kompany.

This is what I agree with. For me, I can live with the mistakes that he makes that other defenders make as well. For me, the problem I have with Luiz is innate to his game. Being caught upfield too often, hoofing balls up the pitch hoping to hit someone, shooting the ball way too much, being poor in the air, etc..On a certain team, it's OK for your central defender to wander upfield and to have an 81% passing rate and take 2 shots (which are pretty much always off target) twice a game. (On Barcelona for example, where defenders don't really ever have to defend) On most teams, it's going to really hurt you because ball retention does really matter. In order to fit Luiz in the lineup, you have to build your team so he fits in. You need to play him next to someone conservative. You need to have a defensive midfielder who covers for his runs. Etc...

And the criticisms are justified. He is our best defender when his head is in the game and when he's more conservative but after 2 years, you need to see some consistency and he needs to stop just hitting the ball down-field and it just isn't going to happen. Also, the people who claim he's a top-5 defender or whatever do him no justice. It's pretty obvious he's nowhere near that level. He's been benched by just about every manager we've had and for defenders like Alex and Cahill. It's a case of his supporters so immensely exaggerating how good he is, that it's impossible to not to react.

In his last two years (bar the last month of the 11/12) Drogba performed without a care in the world most games, Lampard had his fair share of them under AVB, yet their regarded as a club legend's.

We can't have one rule for one...