David Luiz

the wes

yet another mistake from Kompnay! he is so mistake prone! yet people seem to think he is the best CB in the world! LOOOL! fact is players like Kompany, Vidic, Pique, Dante, Luiz ect all make mistakes but Luiz is the one who gets the most abuse even though he doesn't make any more mistakes then any other top CB! :fainthv9:

He just intercepts the ball, plays passes well, reads the attack, and so on. He just can't seem to do that for any stretch of time and the next game he'll lob 15 passes up the pitch, try to dribble the ball past two people which leads to a counter-attack chance, and take 3 shots that sail over the net.

It's his personality. It's like he's got ADHD or something and that the simple act of defending isn't enough for him. He's a frustrated midfielder and sometimes that's great for us (like away to Fulham last year) but most of the time you just want someone who does the simple things every time.

yet another mistake from Kompnay! he is so mistake prone!

Yet everyone here would happily swap him for Luiz.

speak for yourself! i would have Luiz over Kompany any day!

I'll take medals over funny hair and Miley Cyrus-mannerisms.

Kompany is a rock in defence like John Terry is/was. He's the guy you build a team on and he's a very intelligent, articulate MAN as well who never shirks a challenge.

Luiz is a prodigiously talented little boy. Go and watch the goal mouth scramble against Palace and watch David Luiz. Seriously.....it's utterly astounding.

I'll take medals over funny hair and Miley Cyrus-mannerisms.

Kompany is a rock in defence like John Terry is/was. He's the guy you build a team on and he's a very intelligent, articulate MAN as well who never shirks a challenge.

Luiz is a prodigiously talented little boy. Go and watch the goal mouth scramble against Palace and watch David Luiz. Seriously.....it's utterly astounding.

last time i checked Luiz put in a world class performance against Bayern Munich in the CL final after coming back form a bad hamstring injury! and Luiz was simply outstanding for Brazil in the Confederations cup in the summer and was one of the reasons why they won it (also making one of the best goal line clearances of all time against Spain!)! So i dont know what your talking about! i would have Luiz over Kompany as Luiz will be a key player to winning you medals just as much as you think Kompany would be!

last time i checked Luiz put in a world class performance against Bayern Munich in the CL final after coming back form a bad hamstring injury! and Luiz was simply outstanding for Brazil in the Confederations cup in the summer and was one of the reasons why they won it (also making one of the best goal line clearances of all time against Spain!)! So i dont know what your talking about! i would have Luiz over Kompany as Luiz will be a key player to winning you medals just as much as you think Kompany would be!

I disagree. I think Luiz can be a good player but he simply lacks the mental toughness that Kompany has. There's a reason he's been dropped twice this season and can't keep Cahill out of the side (who also put in a great performance in Munich).

You build your defence around a rock like John Terry. That ain't Luiz.

Kompany is so much better defender than Luiz that it's even undebatable.

Everyone makes mistakes, but this is more about doing what a defender needs to do.

I believe that attitude is David's biggest problem. He doesn't take small games seriously and he often thinks that he is some kind of a God on the field, which he is clearly not.

This Kompany-Luiz debate is so unnecessary.Why do people want to slate Luiz for no reason? I am happy we have him and don't care how he is compared to other defenders.

Because they're roughly the same age and are both apparently 'world-class' so they're going to be compared to one another. Plus most of us would love a defender like Kompany in the team.

Luiz is a liability and his commitment and form have waned since he has been linked to Barcelona. I want to cash in, unless we move him to defensive midfield permanently. I think its safe to say Kompany is yards ahead of David Luiz. Brazil has always had some dodgy defenders.

Luiz and Kompany are very different types of defenders. What they do have in common, though, is that both are capable of being world-class and have showed so, and both have been inconsistent in their time in England and are capable of being absolute liabilities at times.

Luiz is the much much better footballer and obviously he offers so much more going forward. He can be very important to any team with his ability to bring the ball forward and efficiently give an extra man in midfield when needed. He's also a defender who likes to play 1vs1 and intercept attacks before they become a real threat. Kompany, on the other hand, is more of a typical English "no-nonsense" CB. Physically he's stronger than David, but I think mentally as well. Kompany is natural leader and organizer of the defense. Something we have been sorely missing when JT is absent.

The comparisons that are being made at the moment are largely unfair because one is in pretty good form (despite the injury) and the other is in terrible form. It would have been very difficult during the second half of last season to find anyone, even a City fan, who believed that Kompany was better than Luiz.

Luiz and Kompany are very different types of defenders. What they do have in common, though, is that both are capable of being world-class and have showed so, and both have been inconsistent in their time in England and are capable of being absolute liabilities at times.

Luiz is the much much better footballer and obviously he offers so much more going forward. He can be very important to any team with his ability to bring the ball forward and efficiently give an extra man in midfield when needed. He's also a defender who likes to play 1vs1 and intercept attacks before they become a real threat. Kompany, on the other hand, is more of a typical English "no-nonsense" CB.

I am going to challenge that tbh. Kompany has had to learn when NOT to football and just be the classis CB. He learned the hard way, like Luiz should.

In his earlier years he was prone to what Luiz is now - going forward regularly and he was very, very good at it. It did leave holes at the back though and he was criticised for it. I think technically he might even edge it compared to Luiz. He dribbles like a boss, really, always been the Brussels street footballer and played for Belgium and Anderlecht in a midfield role sometimes. He actually excelled in that midfield role for Belgium quite a few times as well. Good, clean technical player

Example:

In his early days:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HP9aOSoD8vQ&desktop_uri=/watch?v=HP9aOSoD8vQ

Or:

http://giant.gfycat.com/AgitatedDistortedDegu.gif

:Goober:

With central defenders, for truly top one's to blossom they need a truly top one to play next to them aswell, to compliment eachother.

Their are some exception's, like JT in his prime or Thiago Silva now, but mainly defender's are only as good as the defender they are paired with. Carvalho was the main example to that rule with us, when he had JT next to him, he was incredible and probably every bit as good as Terry was, take Terry out and replace him with Bolourhouz, Ben Haim or Essien, then Carvalho looked a shadow of what he was with JT.

If we had Thiago Silva or JT was still in his prime, Luiz would be every bit as good for us as he is for Brazil, for sure.

I am going to challenge that tbh. Kompany has had to learn when NOT to football and just be the classis CB. He learned the hard way, like Luiz should.

In his earlier years he was prone to what Luiz is now - going forward regularly and he was very, very good at it. It did leave holes at the back though and he was criticised for it. I think technically he might even edge it compared to Luiz. He dribbles like a boss, really, always been the Brussels street footballer and played for Belgium and Anderlecht in a midfield role sometimes. He actually excelled in that midfield role for Belgium quite a few times as well. Good, clean technical player

Example:

In his early days:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HP9aOSoD8vQ&desktop_uri=/watch?v=HP9aOSoD8vQ

Or:

http://giant.gfycat.com/AgitatedDistortedDegu.gif

:Goober:

Actually I wasn't talking about on the ball but the way he defends. Kompany defends on the same line as his back four, likes his fullbacks tucked in beside him and defends very well inside the area. Luiz, on the other hand, steps out of the defense to intercept passes and meet attackers and defend against them one-on-one. They are completely different styles and football "cultures".

As for the part about technical ability, I'll believe Kompany is better when I see him score the goal David scored against Basel at the Bridge last season and play one of Luiz's trade-mark 70-yards inch-perfect pass to the striker :P

As for the part about technical ability, I'll believe Kompany is better when I see him score the goal David scored against Basel at the Bridge last season and play one of Luiz's trade-mark 70-yards inch-perfect pass to the striker :P

As in for the goal

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wiiDpjQVRNQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DwiiDpjQVRNQ

And the pass

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3-b7cuJlaBs&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D3-b7cuJlaBs

:lol:

Sorry mate, but that's just power in the shot for the goal. Some of the goals Luiz has scored (obviously the goal vs Basel was the best of the bunch) show technique that the vast majority of midfielders and attackers only dream of having.

The pass was pretty awesome though! :P