David Luiz

the wes

Cahill probably switches off twice as much as Luiz during games.

Can you give me a couple of examples SeB? I know that Luiz is a far more gifted and intelligent footballer than Cahill, but that counts for diddly squat when you keep making schoolboy errors. I cant fault Cahill in his last few matches and he sticks to his position. Luiz, on the other hand is a fantastic talent, but would be a much better Defensive midfielder than an out an out defender. At least as a DM if he goes walkabout he would have defenders in position (like Cahill ) behind him. Dont get me wrong, I really love Luiz but he just needs to tighten up his game, then he would be unreplaceable.

Can you give me a couple of examples SeB? I know that Luiz is a far more gifted and intelligent footballer than Cahill, but that counts for diddly squat when you keep making schoolboy errors. I cant fault Cahill in his last few matches and he sticks to his position. Luiz, on the other hand is a fantastic talent, but would be a much better Defensive midfielder than an out an out defender. At least as a DM if he goes walkabout he would have defenders in position (like Cahill ) behind him. Dont get me wrong, I really love Luiz but he just needs to tighten up his game, then he would be unreplaceable.

Cahill went walkabout in the opening minutes vs. Basel, lost the ball cheaply leading to Basel's chance from the FK. Luckily Cech had a decent game.

Luiz as DM is a myth, he's nowhere as good as at CB. Only Benitez's fanclub can dare pretending Benitez "invented" Luiz's new position whereas he rather only had the choice between putting the boots himself or field Luiz in midfield

Well, our choices haven't improved in the midfield dept. quite yet. But he is definitely a better CB.

Cahill can't cover his full back to save his life, constantly out of position because he's ball-watching. Loses his man in the box (just like Luiz does, but Luiz has a lot of actual world class defensive abilities). Passive defending all the time, could retreat back on 30 yards and end up in his side's net without ever making the first move

Luiz as DM is a myth, he's nowhere as good as at CB. Only Benitez's fanclub can dare pretending Benitez "invented" Luiz's new position whereas he rather only had the choice between putting the boots himself or field Luiz in midfIeld

Points taken and well made, though I was not in Benitez's fanclub I still would like to see Luiz given a midfield start. If he does get his place back in the centre of defence I just feel he will really have to raise his game and his level of concentration to stay in the team. We all know he has it in him, but we need to see it.....and soon

I will only judge him again when he gets the chance to play, at the moment he is still as good as his last performances and I hope he has been working hard in training and not acting the clown as this can translate to the match if you are not taking the game seriously and that includes training. He will play soon and needs to eradicate the careless errors in his game,every time I see him at Cobham he seems to be messing around and not taking it seriously.

One would have hoped being droped when you were given every chance to be first choice would have woken him up and we see the player we all know is there soon.

I will only judge him again when he gets the chance to play, at the moment he is still as good as his last performances and I hope he has been working hard in training and not acting the clown as this can translate to the match if you are not taking the game seriously and that includes training. He will play soon and needs to eradicate the careless errors in his game,every time I see him at Cobham he seems to be messing around and not taking it seriously.

One would have hoped being droped when you were given every chance to be first choice would have woken him up and we see the player we all know is there soon.

Sure you want him back, you cant wait to resume your usual trolling in this topic. lol

Still out of the team :(

It sucks because I feel like Terry could use a rest. We have 9 matches this month and having no rotation in the CBs would be tragic, especially when one of them is over his 30 and has had physical issues quite frequently.

It's not even about what Luiz brings or not at this point (although I do think he brings a lot), it's about we needing backup for Terry and later for Cahill when he also feels the weight of so many matches...

What he brings to the table far outweighs the risk of a rush of blood every now and again, for me.

Agreed until this season. Now he doesn't even bother to go forward anymore and also looks like he don't care in defence anymore, especially that Newcastle game. Then coming out with arrogant rubbish statements about himself, it is almost as if that Barca bid had made him change. Maybe being praised as the best CB in the world by Mou and the press in the summer after Confederation Cup doesn't help either.