David Luiz

the wes

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/9034387/transfer-news-chelsea-defender-david-luiz-not-worried-about-future

Hopefully this means he knows Jose will still trust him again if he do well in training and not that he doesn't give a fuck anymore.

I think a fair few people have an agenda. Personally I think he has his place, but right now he's probably a more consistent partner for JT considering Luiz's rather erratic recent form.

Luiz has the physical and technical attributes but he's put in disgraceful performances for us this season that make me question how much he values wearing the shirt. Cahill has never made me question his commitment.

His commitment has never been in question but he can never be better than a squad player, he can't play the offside trap and is easily fooled by the opposition, even Liam Ridgewell managed to spin him.

Luiz has had a couple of lazy games recently, but Drogba had his fair few of them when he looked like he wanted to be somewhere else but it doesn't stop some supporters regarding him our greatest ever player. Luiz's attitude overall has been very good for us, for me, their has been some games where he was the only person on the pitch putting the effort in, especially just after he joined when our double winning team were fell fed and putting next to no effort them-self's (and half that team are regarded as club legends).

1. Yes, I said it to make a point a hyperbole as we use it so often around here. Commitment is cheap, most professional players playing at this level have enough commitment otherwise they wouldn't be there. It's a competitive sport after all. I was referring to Cahill. Whether he is committed or not makes no difference to me because his technique is not good enough at this level - not for England not for Chelsea.

2. So, you think commitment is enough? So England is not committed enough? That's why they lose?! Brazil won 5 times with the likes of Romario, Ronaldo, Ronaldimho, and Rivaldo, known to be the most committed players ever... :rolleyes:

I think this is just a cultural difference. Skill is important but fans in the stands love players who give their all for the cause. The best players have both.

where did this idea that he doesn't give a fuck come from?

It's one thing to say he has concentration issues and that he's sloppy at times, but it's another completely different to say he doesn't give a fuck. I have problems with his form for us this season (which has nothing to do with Brazil, but I do hope he carries the confidence from the NT), I have problems when he has consistency issues and he does have them, but I can't question this man's work ethic and when I say he doesn't give a fuck at some matches I think I'm questioning that.

When he doesn't play as focused against weaker sides - which happens - I don't think is because he lacks commitment with the club or his teammates, it's rather him relaxing more than he should, but probably not something he plans to do before the match starts. I've said it before and I'll say it again, imo his problems are all of mental nature because technically he's the best CB we have. And if he has problems concentrating, focusing, keeping himself in certain matches, he needs Mourinho to address those problems and they need to see the best way to work on it. Those flaws are as relevant as technical flaws, but I think it's easier to make someone have the right mind before all matches and keep focused 90 minutes than teach a grown man, who's already 26-27yo, to learn how to play football. I'm not dismissing his issues or making them less important, but I think it's really unfair to say he doesn't give a fuck.

I think this is just a cultural difference. Skill is important but fans in the stands love players who give their all for the cause. The best players have both.

You're a perfect fit to support a Championship side if that's what you think wins games at this level. There are plenty of talentless grafters in the lower divisions. Luiz bossed a Champions League final whilst carrying an injury, work rate and commitment are nothing but a given for him.

where did this idea that he doesn't give a fuck come from?

It's one thing to say he has concentration issues and that he's sloppy at times, but it's another completely different to say he doesn't give a fuck. I have problems with his form for us this season (which has nothing to do with Brazil, but I do hope he carries the confidence from the NT), I have problems when he has consistency issues and he does have them, but I can't question this man's ethic work and when I say he doesn't give a fuck at some matches I think I'm questioning that.

When he doesn't play as focused against weaker sides - which happens - I don't think is because he lacks commitment with the club or his teammates, it's rather him relaxing more than he should, but probably not something he plans to do before the match starts. I've said it before and I'll say it again, imo his problems are all of mental nature because technically he's the best CB we have. And if he has problems concentrating, focusing, keeping himself in certain matches, he needs Mourinho to address those problems and they need to see the best way to work on it. Those flaws are as relevant as technical flaws, but I think it's easier to make someone have the right mind before all matches and keep focused 90 minutes than teach a grown man, who's already 26-27yo, to learn how to play football. I'm not dismissing his issues or making them less important, but I think it's really unfair to say he doesn't give a fuck.

None of that fills me with confidence. Weaker sides or whatever, he's still wearing the same badge and the fans are still paying the same prices to watch him.

I've never disputed that technically and physically he's our best defender (he's brilliant on FIFA too) but the top two inches are so important in my view.

It's where I disagree with Robguima - what makes people like Michael Jordan, Jonny Wilkinson, Tom Brady, Jerry Rice etc. so good wasn't just their physical skills. It was their mentality and I don't think you can learn that and not at the age of 26.

None of that fills me with confidence. Weaker sides or whatever, he's still wearing the same badge and the fans are still paying the same prices to watch him.

I've never disputed that technically and physically he's our best defender (he's brilliant on FIFA too) but the top two inches are so important in my view.

It's where I disagree with Robguima - what makes people like Michael Jordan, Jonny Wilkinson, Tom Brady, Jerry Rice etc. so good wasn't just their physical skills. It was their mentality and I don't think you can learn that and not at the age of 26.

As I stated at the end of my post, it doesn't mean his problems are less significant than others' problems. I just mean that one thing - his lack of concentration - shouldn't be promptly considered as him not giving a fuck because that implies problems in his work ethic which I don't think he has.

You can improve your mentality depending on the problem you have. For example, mental endurance isn't something one can improve much... so if a player is cold enough (or strong enough) not to be affected by adversity during matches, good for him because I don't think that can be taught.

I currently work with adults and kids learning how to deal with their temperament and one of those temperament - probably Luiz's - people of all ages show problems executing the same activity for a while and it's worse when they execute the most boring part or the less challenging part of their tasks. There are drills that help them to keep concentration in those mechanical, boring, unattractive tasks and while it's easier to get kids to learn that and fix it, adults reach 60%-70% improvement rates (children depending on the age can reach 98%). I'm not going to say that's the problem with Luiz, I'm not specialized in sports (nor do I plan to be),I'm not working for Chelsea, I don't know the roots of his problems if I don't work with him, I'm assuming and my assumptions could be completely off, but I just wanted to point out that depending on what the mental weakness is, not only it's 'treatable' but the results are quite significant. But you're right that some mental aspects just can't be taught. The best example I'll always have on that is on tennis. Players don't become Rafael Nadal, they're born Rafael Nadal or they were taught before 5yo to be Rafael Nadal. Which is why we have so many headcases on tennis. Those guys aren't headcases in other aspects of their lives, but tennis is the sport that challenges you the most in the mental aspect - among other reasons, the most obvious is that you don't have teammates to help you out or help the team, it relies on you and you alone. Topic for another conversation though.

Its really embarrassing for Mourinho. Luiz captain for Brazil NT, playing good football, while Cahill can't even start for poor English team. Mourinho must do something quickly.

:lol: Talk about jumping into the bandwagon just because Cahill didn't start against Germany in 1 meaningless friendly. Guess we should disregard the fact he started majority of England's games including the WC qualifiers before that eh?

And Mourinho has said as much before that his first priority is always to think about Chelsea. I don't think he bothers too much how players perform for their NT teams. From his POV, he's only gonna pick players that are performing for him and Cahill arguably has done better than Luiz this season for the club.

He also went strolling when he assisted Hazard for the 4th. You win some you lose some

right and then we go back to the old discussion: either that forward run is a movement he is allowed (even encouraged) to do or it isn't and he wouldn't have been doing that for so long.

Did you notice where he lost the football? No one covered him? What's the difference if he is the one who makes a mistake, when already close to the opponents box? Again, assuming he's allowed (even encouraged) to make those runs. Players in attacking positions (as Luiz was in the video) are allowed to make mistakes due to tight spaces.

That's not what we've been criticizing him for. Off the ball movement, positioning, concentration, that's where his deficiencies lie. On the ball, he is flawless as a two-footed passer.

no not an agenda at all - as a brazil supporter I actually think he *should* move to Barca; that would be good for David, Brazil, and esp Barcelona!

As a pre-abra Chelsea supporter, I am 100% sure that Cahill is not good enough to start for ANY top club in the world. It's just his technique or there lack thereof. I couldn't care less about his commitment. Championship is filled with players who give 100%. The Irish give 110% in every match and they lose every time. Barca look like they couldn't care less (like David) because they use their great technique far more than they use their physique, but that would be the wrong impression to have.

Two things.................... Cahill may not be the most gifted defender in the world but he has shown more commitment to our cause than Luiz this season. Cahill dont go "walkabout" Luiz has been found wandering about this season. When he becomes more disciplined he will regain his place, otherwise it's Cahills spot to lose.

Secondly...............Yes the Irish do give 110%..BUT WE DONT LOSE EVERY TIME MATE !!!!!! :rant:

Two things.................... Cahill may not be the most gifted defender in the world but he has shown more commitment to our cause than Luiz this season. Cahill dont go "walkabout" Luiz has been found wandering about this season. When he becomes more disciplined he will regain his place, otherwise it's Cahills spot to lose.

Secondly...............Yes the Irish do give 110%..BUT WE DONT LOSE EVERY TIME MATE !!!!!! :rant:

Fair enough ... please don't take it personally - this whole thing about winning and losing is a lot more about population size, GDP, focus on football, and far less about the empirical things we like to talk about. in fact, being that big of a footballing nation hasn't really helped Brazil in any way - it may actually have hurt its development or so some believe.

On technique, quality talent... Back in Brazil there is a southern announcer who says when a poor side is very committed and motivated (for whatever reason) before facing a far better side, that they are going to lose all the same - with or without the extra motivation and commitment.

I guess Belgium are especially committed these days; the fact they have Hazard, Benteke, KDB, and host of other extremely talented players probably isn't a factor at all... :) The answer is also socioeconomic as usual.

Fair enough ... please don't take it personally - this whole thing about winning and losing is a lot more about population size, GDP, focus on football, and far less about the empirical things we like to talk about. in fact, being that big of a footballing nation hasn't really helped Brazil in any way - it may actually have hurt its development or so some believe.

On technique, quality talent... Back in Brazil there is a southern announcer who says when a poor side is very committed and motivated (for whatever reason) before facing a far better side, that they are going to lose all the same - with or without the extra motivation and commitment.

I guess Belgium are especially committed these days; the fact they have Hazard, Benteke, KDB, and host of other extremely talented players probably isn't a factor at all... :) The answer is also socioeconomic as usual.

No worries.....I didn't take it personally at all.........Remember, it's just a game, not a science :blush: