David Luiz

the wes

He used to play at LB. But IIRC he played there once for us and was just terrible.

yep, you lose his two-footed passing ability when you stick him to the side of the pitch - he needs to be centered. Whether in defense, or DM, or CM, no matter - as Barcelona proved it's all about mechanics - but he needs to be in the center of the pitch.

Although I also think he should be playing, he has been poor and was in need of some butt kicking for sure. Now, if he does not get to play after the atrocious display against WBA, then I'd have to question Mourinho's meritocracy.

could he play right back? I hate seeing him on the bench

I watched one Benfica game where he played LB. Benfica conceded something like 4 goals that game and they all came from his side.

He was pretty poor in the beginning of last season but was excellent under rafa. I think he has all the tools to be the best but when you're still making the same mistakes at 26 you did at 23 years, then something's wrong. At least in past seasons he showed some heart and desire for the shirt, against Newcastle (while John Terry was tackling the hell out of everything in that 2nd half) luiz couldn't even be bothered to put his body on the line. Don't particularly rate Cahill but I rather put up with his limitations as a defender than watch Luiz continue to mess about in defense.

I watched one Benfica game where he played LB. Benfica conceded something like 4 goals that game and they all came from his side.

He was pretty poor in the beginning of last season but was excellent under rafa. I think he has all the tools to be the best but when you're still making the same mistakes at 26 you did at 23 years, then something's wrong. At least in past seasons he showed some heart and desire for the shirt, against Newcastle (while John Terry was tackling the hell out of everything in that 2nd half) luiz couldn't even be bothered to put his body on the line. Don't particularly rate Cahill but I rather put up with his limitations as a defender than watch Luiz continue to mess about in defense.

That was the same Benfica game Luiz talked about in an interview after signing for Chelsea.

He said he wanted to play CB in that game but due to injuries/suspensions, the coach put him at LB..and the opposition's winger had a field day.

That was the same Benfica game Luiz talked about in an interview after signing for Chelsea.

He said he wanted to play CB in that game but due to injuries/suspensions, the coach put him at LB..and the opposition's winger had a field day.

it was Hulk.

Luiz is a center-back, end of it. If someone else is playing better than him, he has to get his shit together and win back his position in the team as a center-back.

We don't have problems in the right-back and although we do have in the pivot, Luiz isn't the answer to that and he can contribute to improving it by playing well as a CB,with his good distribution and long passes - that while are not as accurate as a DLP, he makes up for the lack of one, but as a CB, not a DM.

Hopefully playing for the national team will give him some confidence and he'll come back to us fired up or at least more consistent. But imo there's only one position for him to play and one where he can offer something more and be a differential for us, and that is by Terry's side. Until his level prevents him from starting, he should be benched and Mourinho's and Luiz's efforts should be on making him a better CB.