• Replies 65.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

http://www.goal.com/en/news/8/main/2017/04/13/34579872/modric-hailed-as-world-class-at-spurs-and-madrid-but-what?ICID=HP_FT_4

Completely agree with this. I remember the Oscar vs Coutinho days years back, and I said Eriksen trumps both. I still stand by that statement. Such a clever player and a quiet force.

How the fuck is the Sun still a newspaper in 2017? And they have the audacity to say that calling a mixed-race player a "gorilla at a zoo" is good because it is meant to "provoke debate"! :middlefinger:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39601728?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport 

I love Kante. He's been brilliaint and played a critical part in winning his team the EPL title for two years running.

But the POTY has to be Eden. In terms of changing games and influence on the team, no one comes close in the league. 

Lukaku for YPOTY.

2 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

How the fuck is the Sun still a newspaper in 2017? And they have the audacity to say that calling a mixed-race player a "gorilla at a zoo" is good because it is meant to "provoke debate"! :middlefinger:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39601728?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport 

It was written by that odious prick Kelvin McKenzie.He can be the only person who Joey Barton can take the moral high ground with. Barton a pseudo- intellectual who believes that listening to Hatful of Hollow by The Smiths makes you clever and a deep thinker.

1 hour ago, Iggy Doonican said:

It was written by that odious prick Kelvin McKenzie.He can be the only person who Joey Barton can take the moral high ground with. Barton a pseudo- intellectual who believes that listening to Hatful of Hollow by The Smiths makes you clever and a deep thinker.

I've got time for Joey Barton, tbh. Sure, he's obnoxious and quite often a twat, but I don't think he's stupid. I think he often says the right things about subjects that famous people, especially athletes, are usually discouraged to talk about. Be it political or social. I like that he challenges that norm, and I think that a lot of the hatred he gets in the papers are due to that; without denying that also some of the hatred he gets is completely justified.

On a side note, can someone help me understand why that Kelvin McKenzie seems like a 'celebrity journalist'. Nothing about him indicates that he should be famous and he certainly hasn't done anything to show that he should be considered a journalist either! But I've even seen him on a couple TV and panel shows. Why in the world is that?

4 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

He was obviously praising his physical conditioning as gorillas are one of nature's finest specimens.

What a stupid story anyway. It's only offensive because Barkley is 1/4 black and you would never know looking at him, the whole outrage is on the basis that the author knew Barkley was biracial. I sure as hell didn't know. Besides it's a fucking stupid 'racist' remark anyway, it's somehow less offensive when I call Gareth Bale a monkey when he bloody well looks like one. On another note he calls him a gorilla on his intelligence (anybody can fucking stupid) not his appearance (race). Stupid, stupid, stupid.

2 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

I've got time for Joey Barton, tbh. Sure, he's obnoxious and quite often a twat, but I don't think he's stupid. I think he often says the right things about subjects that famous people, especially athletes, are usually discouraged to talk about. Be it political or social. I like that he challenges that norm, and I think that a lot of the hatred he gets in the papers are due to that; without denying that also some of the hatred he gets is completely justified.

On a side note, can someone help me understand why that Kelvin McKenzie seems like a 'celebrity journalist'. Nothing about him indicates that he should be famous and he certainly hasn't done anything to show that he should be considered a journalist either! But I've even seen him on a couple TV and panel shows. Why in the world is that?

He used to be the editor of The Sun . You don't have to be the slightest bit famous to appear on panel shows in the UK. There's a geezer called Joey Essex who it seems is a celebrity dunce. . Barton will always be a turd anyone who stubs out a cigar on a young apprentice's face is never going to change and he's a cheating bastard. He lashed out a Lincoln player and only got a yellow card and then in the same game he did this. (Don't know why they put up the obligatory and unnecessary fucking music :middlefinger:)

3 hours ago, Iggy Doonican said:

He used to be the editor of The Sun . You don't have to be the slightest bit famous to appear on panel shows in the UK. There's a geezer called Joey Essex who it seems is a celebrity dunce. . Barton will always be a turd anyone who stubs out a cigar on a young apprentice's face is never going to change and he's a cheating bastard. He lashed out a Lincoln player and only got a yellow card and then in the same game he did this. (Don't know why they put up the obligatory and unnecessary fucking music :middlefinger:)

I thought he tried to take his eye out with the cigar?

5 hours ago, Spike said:

What a stupid story anyway. It's only offensive because Barkley is 1/4 black and you would never know looking at him, the whole outrage is on the basis that the author knew Barkley was biracial. I sure as hell didn't know. Besides it's a fucking stupid 'racist' remark anyway, it's somehow less offensive when I call Gareth Bale a monkey when he bloody well looks like one. On another note he calls him a gorilla on his intelligence (anybody can fucking stupid) not his appearance (race). Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Your understanding of race and race relations is at the level of a kindergartner. 

9 hours ago, Spike said:

I actually saw the article before it was taken down. Everyone is quite rightly upset about the gorilla comparison, but there was a lot of awful shit in the 'article' besides that. The subtitle of the image of Barkley next to a gorilla was something like "Could Barkley be the missing link between man and ape?". That 'missing link' line has a terrible racist history. It's very hard not to interpret it as racist. It also had a bit full of bigotry about those ghastly poor Liverpool citizens  who can only make money by selling drugs.

But let's assume that Barkley was not biracial and that the article was not racist for a second. How is it okay to publish something like that? Is this journalism? What is even the point?

17 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

I actually saw the article before it was taken down. Everyone is quite rightly upset about the gorilla comparison, but there was a lot of awful shit in the 'article' besides that. The subtitle of the image of Barkley next to a gorilla was something like "Could Barkley be the missing link between man and ape?". That 'missing link' line has a terrible racist history. It's very hard not to interpret it as racist. It also had a bit full of bigotry about those ghastly poor Liverpool citizens  who can only make money by selling drugs.

But let's assume that Barkley was not biracial and that the article was not racist for a second. How is it okay to publish something like that? Is this journalism? What is even the point?

I hate racism with a passion and would never hurt anyone or say anything intentionally to hurt someone.But I do think that we have gone far too much PC.

Im guessing thares somes tongue in cheek remarks in your coments (sarcasm doesn't always come out right in just text) but I see no harm in a comparison of Barklay to a gorilla or suggesting he is the missing link. (For wich theres several links missing) And I'm sure Barklay himself would laugh at it.

Its purely a bit of banter not intending harm.And its coming from the Sun 'News' paper which has always been the Torys mouthpiece. Of course its not journalism its just a 20 or 30 second article peeps read on the tube.

If people want the news its the last thing they would look at. But of course theres still far too many peeps who believe all they read and say things like 'If it wasn't true they wouldn't print it!!' Ya gotta love em.