Edinson Cavani

CFC58

'What if' arguments in football...

What if Cavani scores 100 in a season and marries Eva

There are 'what ifs' based on reality and ones that aren't. Your's is statistically less likely on both counts, whereas mine was based on something that we've been living through for the last two and a half years.

Doesn't mean it can't happen, but transfers should be a percentage game which is how we've treated them lately. If players like Hazard flop, then they have residual value and a lower initial cost. Players like De Bruyne cost less, but have higher upside.

The Cavani price is high and we'd be looking at a loss of close to £30 million if it goes the way of Sheva or Torres.

Let's not get too caught up in Cavani's Confederations Cup performance. RVP looked worse than Torres at Euro 2012, did that stop him from winning the golden boot again this past season?

Agreed. RVP had a terrible 2010 WC too.

What I like about Cavani is that even when he's not at his best, he still works for the team. He should've scored for sure though, as that Nigeria team was a lot worse than I had anticipated. That's what I'm afraid of concerning Rooney: Rooney is either on fire or absent, and lately he's been more absent than on fire.

Its not big a risk than United paying £24m on a injury phrone 29 year old, or us signing a Ivorian who has had one year at the top for (at the time) the 3rd highest transfer fee in England.

I would understand if he is showing signs of decline, but he isn't.

No risk, no reward.

Bayern use their money in a very smart way. Shaqiri, Mandzukic and Javi Martinez all joined Bayern in 2012.

Javi Martinez alone 40m euros. A lot for a defensive mid, but they saw a player who could potentially take them to the next level and he did.

There are 'what ifs' based on reality and ones that aren't. Your's is statistically less likely on both counts, whereas mine was based on something that we've been living through for the last two and a half years.

Doesn't mean it can't happen, but transfers should be a percentage game which is how we've treated them lately. If players like Hazard flop, then they have residual value and a lower initial cost. Players like De Bruyne cost less, but have higher upside.

The Cavani price is high and we'd be looking at a loss of close to £30 million if it goes the way of Sheva or Torres.

I guess your right but it comes down to risk/reward, we have witnessed a 50million flop already and doing so again is another huge risk but it could go well for us. If we did sign Cavani, I'm sure Lukaku would get as many chances (I know you're worried about him not playing if this deal goes through), because technically we could play all our strikers on the pitch Ba on the left, Lukaku up front and Cavani on the right (theoretically). Cavani is quite versatile and is used to playing off other players, behind the main man and out wide. This is why Lukaku would probs get at least 25/30 games to see how he gets on in a blue shirt.

Its not big a risk than United paying £24m on a injury phrone 29 year old, or us signing a Ivorian who has had one year at the top for (at the time) the 3rd highest transfer fee in England.

I would understand if he is showing signs of decline, but he isn't.

No risk, no reward.

No risk to you you mean.

RVP came through that last season at Arsenal unscathed, and there was a general feeling that he'd put his injury concerns behind him. Drogba took two seasons to really become a great goalscorer, but was still an effective player for us.

The fact is that we have a young man who cost up to £18 million who scored more goals in his first proper season in the EPL than Drogba managed in each of his first two. He also happens to be a massive Chelsea fan, but some people want to sign Cavani because he's the only 'big' striker left and they really don't care how much for.

Javi Martinez alone 40m euros. A lot for a defensive mid, but they saw a player who could potentially take them to the next level and he did.

That's still €20 million less than we're discussing for Cavani. Mandzukic about €16 million and started the final. They also incorporated plenty of young homegrown talent over the years and reaped the benefits - it wasn't the easy decision, but it was the brave decision and it was the right decision because they've been the best team in Europe.

No risk to you you mean.

RVP came through that last season at Arsenal unscathed, and there was a general feeling that he'd put his injury concerns behind him. Drogba took two seasons to really become a great goalscorer, but was still an effective player for us.

The fact is that we have a young man who cost up to £18 million who scored more goals in his first proper season in the EPL than Drogba managed in each of his first two. He also happens to be a massive Chelsea fan, but some people want to sign Cavani because he's the only 'big' striker left and they really don't care how much for.

That's still €20 million less than we're discussing for Cavani. Mandzukic about €16 million and started the final. They also incorporated plenty of young homegrown talent over the years and reaped the benefits - it wasn't the easy decision, but it was the brave decision and it was the right decision because they've been the best team in Europe.

I didn't say no risk, ofcourse their's a risk to it, but the reward is high, Cavani and Lukaku is a combination that could take us to the next level. We seem to forget during the summer period's just how much of a squad game football this these days, striaght away we are likely to get 3 games in a week due to the Super Cup and we will need all our squad for those, especially if (as the twitter rumour suggest's) that Hull might be on monday and Vila on Wednesday.

Yes the price maybe less but it's still a huge price for a DM, and Bayern fans were acting with the same caution that we are with Cavani.

You say they incorporate the home grown talent, more often than not they prey on the one's at lesser German clubs when they have proved they are capable of playing at the top, Gotze and Neuer the prime examples.

I didn't say no risk, ofcourse their's a risk to it, but the reward is high, Cavani and Lukaku is a combination that could take us to the next level. We seem to forget during the summer period's just how much of a squad game football this these days, striaght away we are likely to get 3 games in a week due to the Super Cup and we will need all our squad for those, especially if (as the twitter rumour suggest's) that Hull might be on monday and Vila on Wednesday.

Yes the price maybe less but it's still a huge price for a DM, and Bayern fans were acting with the same caution that we are with Cavani.

You say they incorporate the home grown talent, more often than not they prey on the one's at lesser German clubs when they have proved they are capable of playing at the top, Gotze and Neuer the prime examples.

Torres, Ba, Lukaku and Schurrle.

Like I've said, we're lucky Lukaku loves this club because if he had any sense he'd put in a transfer request and find a club where the people in charge had enough faith in their support to give youth a chance.

But no, we need immediate success. We want it now and if we don't get it we'll hold our breath and stomp our feet....

@JamesHorncastle: De Laurentiis says Man City unwilling to spend €63m for Cavani

Says it all really.

Who else were prepared to pay 40m euro's on Javi Martinez?

Who else would have payed £24m for Drogba in 2004?

Their loss.

Torres, Ba, Lukaku and Schurrle.

Like I've said, we're lucky Lukaku loves this club because if he had any sense he'd put in a transfer request and find a club where the people in charge had enough faith in their support to give youth a chance.

But no, we need immediate success. We want it now and if we don't get it we'll hold our breath and stomp our feet....

Lukaku has just been told by Mourinho he is getting a chance next season and Jose has got a track record of rotating his forwards well. Lukaku will get 20-30 appearances maybe more depending on how far we go in competition's.

There's a difference between giving a player a chance and staking our entire hopes on a 20 year old, pressure like that so young can set players back.

Lukaku has just been told by Mourinho he is getting a chance next season and Jose has got a track record of rotating his forwards well. Lukaku will get 20-30 appearances maybe more depending on how far we go in competition's.

There's a difference between giving a player a chance and staking our entire hopes on a 20 year old, pressure like that so young can set players back.

So can a £50 million price tag.

I have faith in Lukaku's character. He's got more than 20 international caps and almost 150 first-team appearances.

Let's get out of this frame of mind that a striker is the be all and end all of our chances. It's a team game and we won the league in 2005 and 2006 with a main striker who scored FIVE less goals than Lukaku managed last season. Getting Cavani doesn't guarantee us the league. In fact I'd say the midfield and defence are far more important.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You