Bournemouth 0-0 Chelsea

ZAPHOD2319

1 hour ago, DDA said:

Palmer and Mudryk smashing them in. 

Palmer looks 🥶 

As if that matters, we'll do most things right, then Bournemouth will get 2 chances on the counter, bury both of them,  and they'll win 2-0 or 2-1. 

has anyone here played in front of a decent-sized crowd by chance? I remember my first time, amateur level, and it's simply incredible what happens to your mentality. Like legs suddenly operate at half strength, you question everything, miss 5-yard passes, simply run wrong.
I'm sure you get used to it in time, but I also imagine what must be like for professional players, and then professional players at an elite club like Chelsea.

It can't be a walk in the park, which is also a factor when we sign young players--physique being another.

2 hours ago, robsblubot said:

has anyone here played in front of a decent-sized crowd by chance? I remember my first time, amateur level, and it's simply incredible what happens to your mentality. Like legs suddenly operate at half strength, you question everything, miss 5-yard passes, simply run wrong.
I'm sure you get used to it in time, but I also imagine what must be like for professional players, and then professional players at an elite club like Chelsea.

It can't be a walk in the park, which is also a factor when we sign young players--physique being another.

Yep - I've had that feeling of numbness in the legs. Especially the first time. It feels like everyone's watching your every move - which to be fair, is exactly what happens when you're on the ball.

I've often thought about how professional players manage it, but I'd go back to a quote from Michael Essien.

He said that in the most games, they pretty much blank out the crowds and don't even feel they're there - such is their focus on the game.

But players like Drogba & Essien are among the topmost of professionals.

I think younger players would feel the weight of the crowds even more. Especially when they have a lot more to prove at this level.

Talent means nothing, if you don't have the mentality to cope. IMO, that's probably what even affected a player like Mount. He was probably more confident at 21 than he is now. All those finals choking with missed penalties, can't have done him any favors.

That's why I also sympathize with the current squad. Too young and too much responsibility. You can have the most talented squad but still get mentally destroyed in games. 

3 hours ago, robsblubot said:

I have for high level basketball. 

Never thought about it or impacted me at all, whether it was 0 people watching or a bigger crowd.

Depends on the individual and how you process things. 

7 hours ago, robsblubot said:

Those first time nerves can be calmed if you have a supportive crowd. All the more reason to reverse the stupid latest decision to remove the £10 away support subsidy that has been in place since Abramovich introduced it

6 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Those first time nerves can be calmed if you have a supportive crowd. All the more reason to reverse the stupid latest decision to remove the £10 away support subsidy that has been in place since Abramovich introduced it

Would have made far more sense and cost far less to allocate money for a stronger away game support than dump more millions into the another youth talent that might never play for the first team. 

Especially when Chelsea has had one of strongest away support in the country. 

Hopefully they'll come to their senses and reverse this decision. 

1 hour ago, Blue Armour said:

Would have made far more sense and cost far less to allocate money for a stronger away game support than dump more millions into the another youth talent that might never play for the first team. 

Especially when Chelsea has had one of strongest away support in the country. 

Hopefully they'll come to their senses and reverse this decision. 

utter madness

all because of a tiny AF £250K per year

to put that amount into perspective

when Ares Management comes in as part owner

that £250K

is

(not joking)

is one 1.6 MILLIONth

of the total AUM (assets under management) backing us (£400 billion roughly)

£250,000 X 1,600,000 = £400,000,000,000

12 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

God I miss Abramovich...

28 minutes ago, Muzchap said:

Win tomorrow and we could get a nosebleed and end up 8th, looking at Goal Difference 👍

Win would be amazing, but imo the most important is to not lose; gotta have a solid game and take at least a point.
Hmm haven't seen Bournemouth play this season, but they seem to be struggling... might be the time to go for the win yeah.

27 minutes ago, Muzchap said:

God I miss Abramovich...

Same, and I think there is a fairly obvious explanation for that: the previous owner had no ulterior motive to run the club other than the fact he wanted to; it was a hobby to him. The feeling is that it is very much a business for the current ownership. We hope that at some point this business is run well enough which would then turn into competitive advantage, but it does not look that way atm. 

Edited by robsblubot

If we don’t win this tomorrow I’m going to be taking a nice, multiple months long break from all things football. Not watching any matches, muting the hundreds of football related people I follow on Twitter etc. 

Can’t stomach another horror season like last one. With the talent we have in this squad it’ll be even more embarrassing than last season if we finish midtable again. If we fail to beat West Ham, Forest, and Bournemouth within our first 5 matches then we’re heading for another season like that.

25 minutes ago, Pizy said:

If we don’t win this tomorrow I’m going to be taking a nice, multiple months long break from all things football. Not watching any matches, muting the hundreds of football related people I follow on Twitter etc. 

Can’t stomach another horror season like last one. With the talent we have in this squad it’ll be even more embarrassing than last season if we finish midtable again. If we fail to beat West Ham, Forest, and Bournemouth within our first 5 matches then we’re heading for another season like that.

Interesting how we all see the situation differently. I don't see a whole lot of quality in the squad neither do I see many of our starting XI starting for other top clubs in the PL, for ex. I think this squad is far weaker than last season's and that if a good manager like Poch had been at the helm then, things might have been a little better... not by much because I think the issues were mostly down to club disarray as opposed to just football.

The only hope I have this season is Pochettino, and the fact he is a good manager. I don't think the squad is anywhere near good enough. We will need a lot of luck for some of the bets to pan out and quite good business in the coming couple/few windows to get back to competing again. Don't think the game tomorrow should affect things one way or another, but yeah a downward spiral would be really bad on a young set of players.

Edited by robsblubot

26 minutes ago, Pizy said:

And we haven't got extra games with Champions league and all....

October/December fixtures look bloody horrible..then again it's hard to look at the ones who aren't 'top' and think that's a win.

Barring a miracle this is going to be a long hard season. 

We must win tomorrow at all costs. Anything other than a win is unacceptable... .this being the pressure we put on ourselves.

2 hours ago, Nero said:

F6KpTpaXEAA15X4?format=jpg&name=medium

I don't get shit like this. 

If Doku came here he would have 20 appearances and have Chilwell starting over him. 

If Haaland was here, people would be saying we overpaid. 

I'm not kidding. We have some of the best players in the world at their positions. The quicker you realise it is a tactics, culture and lack of continuity problem rather than player, you'll feel a bit calmer - knowing that if we get it right, it will start clicking quickly after we get it.