Bournemouth 0-0 Chelsea

ZAPHOD2319

2 hours ago, DDA said:

Can't see Palmer as a CAM myself. Hope he proves me wrong.

I think he would be pretty good on the left wing playing in Chilwell's spot tbh. That said from our currently fit options, who would you play ahead of Palmer in CAM? Enzo, or Gallagher?

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Why? 

Maatsen’s agent is not being cooperative with the club to get a new contract complete. A lot of rumors he is trying to move him to Man City. If that is the case, why would we be giving him gametime?

On 11/09/2023 at 20:06, Mhsc said:

I only see two sources of optimism:

1. The underlying stats suggest we are much better than results so far, over time our average results should start to line up with them

2. Poch has transformed Sterling back into the player we bought, and all of the players are publicly singing his praises - maybe, given time, he will bring a lot of these players to peak form

There are however many many points for pessimism and this season could become incredibly frustrating.

I have the sad feeling that Poch will put out an unaltered lineup.

One thing is, the lineups we throw are pathetic. This isnt progress, rebuild, getting to know team or whatever, this is Poch decision that makes no sense. 

6 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Imagine being a young attacking winger and seeing Ben Chilwell start over you whilst he's getting a 44% passing accuracy, providing nothing in attack and refusing to shoot when directly at goal. 

Unless that "young attacking winger" is freaking Mudryk. 😅

Suspect Chilwell has quite a few more goals (Mudryk has never scored for Chelsea) and assists than Mudryk any way you look at it. Mudryk's shot accuracy is at around 33% given he cannot even shoot on goal most of the time. I know folks here are very selective with stats.

Edited by robsblubot

3 hours ago, robsblubot said:

Unless that "young attacking winger" is freaking Mudryk. 😅

Suspect Chilwell has quite a few more goals (Mudryk has never scored for Chelsea) and assists than Mudryk any way you look at it. Mudryk's shot accuracy is at around 33% given he cannot even shoot on goal most of the time. I know folks here are very selective with stats.

We've paid for him to come and play. A 22 year old has room for growth... by playing. At his natural position. 

4 hours ago, Thor said:

We've paid for him to come and play. A 22 year old has room for growth... by playing. At his natural position. 

Has he not been playing in his natural position in the many minutes he has played for the club? I'm fairly sure he will start as soon as he shows any signs of improvement. I trust the club will spot these signs as soon as, and if, they ever appear. I don't see them, but they do watch him at training.
We paid for Bakayoko. We paid for Luakaku. We even paid for Drinkwater.... so many others. They are all gone. Sometimes players aren't good enough at this level and there is only so much you can do about that.

That's not even my main point tho, but rather calling using Chilwell in the wing "crazy;" that's not crazy and quite commonly done esp when lacking options for the position. LWB and Winger aren't that different positions esp when you consider an attacking LWB with good attacking numbers to prove.

My point remains, the manager has the leverage, in my book, to opt for his only (heavily underperforming) winger, try someone else there (say Palmer), or stick with Chilwell esp in an away game. It's the manager's prerogative as to what he needs on that left wing to bring balance to the team. He may think that this away game is not the time to experiment, for example. And yes, considering Mudryk's abysmal attacking numbers, I'd consider him an experiment as well... tho I suspect it's the defensive side of his game that prevents him from getting more starts.

Edited by robsblubot

23 minutes ago, Nero said:

I got Mourinho 15/16 vibes from this interview

And Potter Feb 2023. Maybe he is actually spelled

Pochttertinho

the only times putting a LB as LW has ever worked for us was when RDM did it vs Bayern 2012 so he could pocket Lahm and allowed us to defensively overload on the right. The other examples would be Raphael Guerrerio and Phonzie Davies who both are more or less better as LW than LB anyway and only play LB bc their competition at LW is technically so much superior

I just want to see progress after a while. I don't expect it now. I expect that, up and down. 

Hence why I don't say much after every game. I remain calm. 

But by February if we are still bad then I will start to worry. 

3 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

And Potter Feb 2023. Maybe he is actually spelled

Pochttertinho

the only times putting a LB as LW has ever worked for us was when RDM did it vs Bayern 2012 so he could pocket Lahm and allowed us to defensively overload on the right. The other examples would be Raphael Guerrerio and Phonzie Davies who both are more or less better as LW than LB anyway and only play LB bc their competition at LW is technically so much superior

Wasn't Bertrand playing left-winger in that game?

I don't disagree, but then again I need to point out we are down to the 3rd option as left-winger who happens to be an attacking player who's been at the club for 8-9 months and has zero (0) goals. Not to mention that the defensive side of his game does not look really that much better.

I have no doubt had Alonso still be in the roster and he'd be playing left-wing in every game. Perhaps switching positions with Chilwell occasionally, but just by the characteristics (not to mention experience and power).