15. Nicolas Jackson

ZAPHOD2319

12 hours ago, Thor said:

He will NEVER reach their level? You have rose tinted glasses on. 

Its a lot easier to be satisfied with your striker when the rest of the team is doing their bit and winning as well. Maybe go back and check some of the seasons Costa and DD had as seasoned vets let alone first year in the league and second pro season - and how much they actually "took their chances". 

He has more goals than Hojlund who is similar age... He has more goals than Toney who people want us to get in and pads with penalties... 

Lack of killer instinct is a cop out. He is a young player who is learning and probably fluctuates in confidence. I would prefer him at the wing as well, but he absolutely can be and is a front man too. A lot of his better attributes are more suited to the wing, or slightly behind because he is so good at carrying the ball up the field. 

That's my opinion. I don't understand the need to constantly compare him to other players to help justify some point you're trying to make. He has more goals than a CF that was banned until mid-January is a flex? 😄

We seem to agree on something, at least. Confidence didn't seem to be an issue when he's fighting his teammates for a PK he had no right to demand in the first place. His only real hope of being a mainstay is trying to fill the role Kalou once had (he actually came up with some clutch goals, tho).

9 hours ago, Thor said:

Agreed. One season makes a player, and better yet, one game does as well. 

Its a good thing we got rid of Salah and others for the same reason.

Talk about reaching. How many games did Salah play for us again?

3 hours ago, LAM09 said:

That's my opinion. I don't understand the need to constantly compare him to other players to help justify some point you're trying to make. He has more goals than a CF that was banned until mid-January is a flex? 😄

We seem to agree on something, at least. Confidence didn't seem to be an issue when he's fighting his teammates for a PK he had no right to demand in the first place. His only real hope of being a mainstay is trying to fill the role Kalou once had (he actually came up with some clutch goals, tho).

Salah was dismissed by Mou. Quadrado also who went on to make a great career for La Juve.
Salah made only a few apperances for Chelsea. Last time I remember him was the 6-0 against Arsenal when he came in as a replacement after the 5-0 and scored the last goal.
However I don't recall another Salah case in football (from transfer list to glory), though Palmer too looks like being one.

8 hours ago, LAM09 said:

I didn't start the comparison. I was the one told he is way worse than strikers of the past - when the fact is production wise - he isn't. And on the field he does some very good things for us. In a stunted, injured, disrupted and offensively challenged team - he has decent stats. 

The CF you all laud over who didn't start playing until mid January is scoring at a worse rate and with worse shot accuracy... Even last year, he had 14 goals from open play, Jackson has 10 so far with the season not over.

All of this in his first year in the league at 22. 

Edited by Thor

13 hours ago, Reddish-Blue said:

We had our own version of Saka but due to injuries and then managers who only wanted to use him as a wingback, he stopped developing and now he's at Forest.  

Academy players will definitely be given time to develop as they didn't cost the club anything.   That's why we were all keen on seeing James, Mount, Gallagher, CHO and others succeed as they had the academy connection.  

Better than Anelka who had 17 league goals for Arsenal before the age of 20?     That kid was a freak back in those days, bit of a shame that Real Madrid came too soon for him at that point of his career. 

Clearly Anelka is the outlier there, and more so directed at the other two... Funnily enough Anelka ended up being the average goal scorer and not a real CF out of the three in the end...

CHO was never as good as Jackson is now - so moot point lol. 

56 minutes ago, Thor said:

I didn't start the comparison. I was the one told he is way worse than strikers of the past - when the fact is production wise - he isn't. And on the field he does some very good things for us. In a stunted, injured, disrupted and offensively challenged team - he has decent stats. 

The CF you all laud over who didn't start playing until mid January is scoring at a worse rate and with worse shot accuracy... Even last year, he had 14 goals from open play, Jackson has 10 so far with the season not over.

All of this in his first year in the league at 22. 

Making assumptions again, I see. Toney isn't someone I'm fond of. 

Haaland broke the EPL season record at the age of 22. Are you still going to use his age as if we're talking about a seventeen year old?

7 hours ago, LAM09 said:

Making assumptions again, I see. Toney isn't someone I'm fond of. 

Haaland broke the EPL season record at the age of 22. Are you still going to use his age as if we're talking about a seventeen year old?

I'm not saying Jackson is going to be the solution, but not every player blooms at the same age, and of course some have more game maturity than others.

I think all our under-24 newcomers deserve a bit of slack. For this season.

Next season I'm hoping addition of a few experienced heads will get more out of this squad.  This won't help Jackson's finishing, but the burden on him to deliver the goods should hopefully reduce.

Let's see.

1 hour ago, Blue Armour said:

Next season I'm hoping addition of a few experienced heads will get more out of this squad.

It will likely take multiple seasons and a better manager (maybe one that has actually won trophies or been part of a system that has won trophies) to get this squad anywhere near the European places. 

Just look at Arteta at Arsenal, he's building them, signing players for massive transfer fees and generally speaking, it's paying off in his tactical system.  They have 2 solid CB's, quality in Rice, Jorginho, Odegaard through the middle, Saka/Martinelli/Trossard for the attack and Havertz appears to be a decent fit.   

The difference at Chelsea is that we're not building anything due to injuries to key players.  3 of our most technical players have barely played all season in Nkunku, James, Lavia and not to mention Fofana who appears to be carrying permanent issues.   

There is still massive question marks over:

• Who is the starting GK going into next season?
  • What's the CB partnership looking like next season as Silva may walk for a free and all of Disasi, Badiashile, Colwill have had their mistakes this season
  • What does our attack look like next season?   Are we sticking with Sterling/Mudryk/Madueke as the wide men?   Is Jackson the #1 option up front or are we going to get an experienced striker to fill that role (like a Giroud type)?

On 09/04/2024 at 09:00, Special Juan said:

He's just shit, that is the long and short of it. He won't be around next season if we go and get a proper number 9

Stand by it, fucking garbage

af31fe9f163b792ac74ddf66e546fc25.gif

Chelsea were unlucky against City and remain happy with the Nicolas Jackson signing

In the other FA Cup semi-final yesterday we saw Manchester City edge out Chelsea 1-0 with a late goal from Bernardo Silva at Wembley. Pep Guardiola’s side will play in the FA Cup final again after winning it last year, and it could even be that we’ll see a Manchester Derby in the final again as United will be favourites to get past Coventry today.

I thought it was unlucky for Chelsea, but also congrats to Man City for how they reacted by winning a difficult game after the Champions League defeat against Real Madrid. Mauricio Pochettino did a good job again, they this group needs time to perform and also some more experienced player to help the youngsters.

Nicolas Jackson is being made a bit of a scapegoat after missing some big chances, but it’s his first season, coming from Villarreal, and he’s still very young. We need to understand that players are not robots, it’s been a difficult season for Chelsea but Jackson scored an important number of goals and club believes he has an important potential. They will give him time for sure, they are still very happy with a signing they completed for a normal fee.

I honestly don't think he's a bad player -- hardly the problem with this squad.
I like his skill on the ball, how quick he is on turns and runs, his quick feet, and the way he can hold to the football under pressure; the latter is a welcome surprise to me.

On the other hand, he's not a good striker--at least not at this time. Every time we needed him to put the ball in the back of the net he has come short. Is this his fault? I'm honestly not sure he will ever get better at finishing -- his balance is always a bit off when about to apply the finish.
However, I have to be consistent here and stick with my idea that the squad was ill conceived, and if we had the backup options needed, players would be able to rotate and get the minutes when they are in good form, not because there is no-one else available (which also happens in midfield and D).

The attitude thing is a bit tricky. The PK fight was ugly, but that swag is typical of good attacking players, so I'd not focus too much on that.

On 22/04/2024 at 06:55, Blue Armour said:

I'm not saying Jackson is going to be the solution, but not every player blooms at the same age, and of course some have more game maturity than others.

I think all our under-24 newcomers deserve a bit of slack. For this season.

Next season I'm hoping addition of a few experienced heads will get more out of this squad.  This won't help Jackson's finishing, but the burden on him to deliver the goods should hopefully reduce.

Let's see.

I totally agree. Two full seasons is long enough to properly assess players to see if they're good enough or not.

However, I highly doubt he'll be the leading CF for us next season. That spot will be filled by whoever in the summer.

43 minutes ago, bluephoenix said:

I still don't know in what way any of our pursuit for strikers have been any better than Tammy Abraham. We just wasted money left and right.

As a striker, Tammy is A LOT better than Jackson.
How did we end up with a single half-striker (looks more like a winger to me) in the PL spending as much as we did is beyond me and likely anyone.

Edited by robsblubot