Joao Felix

ZAPHOD2319

22 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Some nice wee bits in his short time here so far but also a lot of frustration in terms of end product.

Needs to add a clinical edge to his game or he won’t be a top top player, be it for us, Atletico or wherever he ends up as well as for Portugal.

Simple as that.

Him & Havertz are like the exact same player.  Haven't really lived up to expectations after a big money move, always show a few flashes of brilliance but they both lack that killer instinct in front of goal. 

Interesting that Atletico seem to have picked up a bit of form since Felix left the club...

On 05/03/2023 at 15:56, milka said:

I prefer Felix to Mount  

he gives sharpness  and if he becomes more clinical he will surely be among the best

Yes, he needs to be more clinical.

I'd easily pick Felix over Mount today - but I don't think we should bend over backwards to get him, unless he actually delivers this season. And I mean, not just by looking easy on the eye. He's looked great during games and unlucky not to score in the past few., but I wouldn't call those consistent 8/10 performances. He has been absent in stages.

Then there are the tangible numbers. Comparing last seasons stats in all comp;

MM:

13 goals 16 assists

JF:

10 goals 6 assists

Anyway, seeing how rubbish Mount is playing atm, it's probably a no brainer. I just hope we don't see Felix as the ultimate solution., and pay silly money to get him.

On 05/03/2023 at 11:26, milka said:

I prefer Felix to Mount  

he gives sharpness  and if he becomes more clinical he will surely be among the best

Atleti had been waiting 4 years Felix became "more clinical".

So far what he's offered for us is exactly what he did in Atma and Portugal NT. Skillful, sometimes joy to watch, but often pointless and overall we doesn't profit too much from him.  I wouldn't mind keeping him, but only if we get rid of a few players and for very reasonable price, nowhere near his 120 M previous tag, he is clearly not worth it.

Sterling is less exciting player to watch but see him against Leeds.. His actions lead to direct chances, and even in this horrible season he has 6 goals, which is like carrer record for Felix.

22 minutes ago, Henrique said:

He was great yesterday, but I'm not sure yet if he is worth the price tag. 

Spoiler alert

He is not

Felix has been the same player for 3 years now. Always looking neat and tidy on the ball showing great intensity every few games producing and creating very little. He resembles the rest of our frustrating set of attackers to a t  which makes him exactly what we don’t need. 

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Mário César said:

board want to keep him 

Don't even have a full time manager in place - yet they want to push on with signings.

I mean there is potential with Felix yes but what happens if the manager doesn’t want him? Or wants his own players?

I mean there is a perception that Potter didn’t have much say in terms of recruiting, so if a deal for Felix is pursued without a manager actually being put in place, what sort of message does that send? 

Edited by OneMoSalah

19 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Don't even have a full time manager in place - yet they want to push on with signings.

I mean there is potential with Felix yes but what happens if the manager doesn’t want him? Or wants his own players?

I mean there is a perception that Potter didn’t have much say in terms of recruiting, so if a deal for Felix is pursued without a manager actually being put in place, what sort of message does that send? 

There has to be the right balance here because on the flip side to this one could easily argue the club has struggled for years to keep consistency for a title push because we've put together a mish mash of a squad under multiple managers, suited to a number of different styles and systems.

I agree that agreeing deals for players when a manager hasn't been appointed sends out the wrong signal (although at present we've no idea how close we are to a new managerial appointment and what their input might well be), but we've also hired a number of technical directors that are being paid to get all this decision making right for the club.

In my view both Kai and Felix have the same weakness: which in the area of work rate, team work, discipline. They both turn on and off on a dime, but I feel Felix is a bit worse here.

Felix is more skillful (quick feet) and creative, while Kai makes better runs and can, on occasion, even impose physically becoming a presence in the box (wish he were better at heading the ball tho).

They are also at the same age, which is a good and yet tricky age for a footballer at this level. It's hard to tell which one has the higher ceiling at this time. Kai happens to be our player, and Felix's availability is a big unknown.

I'd keep one, because I think it will be difficult to play both at the same time and they are big enough players who would demand to start. I'm unsure which one tho. Hope the club knows better.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If we can arrange another loan it would be amazing to see what Poch can do with him. 4 goals in a little over 1000 mins. Very unlucky not to have at least 4 more with all those posts he hit. Definitely outplayed big time Pulisic, Ziyech, Mount, Mudryk and pretty much all attackers we have in second part of the season.