Southampton 2-1 Chelsea

James

20 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

In my view, when people start talking about lack of fighting, will, grit, it's usually really just lack of quality. The job of a big club is to have enough abundant quality that it should find a way to win even when the other side wants it more.

I think in our situation it's both.

If you analyse the goals we've conceded so far this season we've conceded 3 goals now from a failure to deal with set pieces which is becoming an increasing problem, and we've now conceded in 4 straight games where we've lost the ball in our own half. For me both situations do point to quality but for me they point more to the attitude and mentality of the group that we're not switched on enough to deal with sudden changes and not enough players are stepping up to take responsibility in key situations.

Where we definitely do lack in quality is in situations where we're chasing a game. I can't think of hardly any games in recent seasons where we've come from behind to win. There's a massive lack of maturity in our attacking when chasing a game, too many players suddenly seem to switch off from the basics and panic seems to ensue even when there's plenty of time in a game left. 

I must say Tuchel is not without criticism in these situations either. I can understand changing personnel and sometimes tweaking things, but too many times he'll make drastic changes that upset any sort of rhythm and balance to the side. I know Jorginho wasn't having a particularly great game tonight and is suspect defensively but when he was taken off tonight we ended up playing Kova essentially on his own in there anyway, and there was no fluency after these changes. It would have made more sense to keep both as a midfield base to control and dominate the ball to put Southampton under pressure. Instead we struggled keeping hold of the ball and sustaining pressure. Sometimes these situations need a calm head, especially when there's still 20-30 minutes of the game to play. You can panic a little more and try a more direct approach with a few minutes to go if still behind.

23 minutes ago, Kong said:

I dunno where to start or finish so fuck it.

ATM this group of players and TT need a serious look in the fucking mirror. Sack the fucking lot of them off and play youth next game can't be any worse than watching them fackless useless prices of shit that call them selfs football players? Beyond a fucking joke. The passion has gone to drive everything! It's asif ever player has fallen out with this club. Yes TT has to take some blame BUT u cannot blame a manager for us not been able to pass a fucking ball or simple marking and tracking runs its an absolute fucking disgrace. I blame them all 200m would of been better spent going up a crack heads nose. Fucking wankers the lot of um.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Honestly, it's fucking criminal. 

Ziyech pissed me off the most today. Absolute tool of a person... pack your fucking bags and get the fuck out this club.

37 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Our outfield players are being deservedly criticised, but at what point should Mendy take a large part of the blame. He gifted Leeds their first, got beaten at his near post by Barnes & was questionable yet again for Southampton's first.

The lack of accountability followed by punishment for bad performance from top to bottom is starting to become a regular thing, which is costing us dearly.

Just saw the first goal... Nah. You can't blame the keeper for that. 

Obviously that Leeds one was shocking and the Leicester one should have been saved, but nah, today was a strike that just went in. Cech had far worse showings than today and no one batted an eyelid. Mendy is in a bit of a slump, but not concerned. He has small patches occasionally like this. It is just made worse by the fact the team has been shocking. To Mendy's credit, he made some huge saves in the Leicester game to keep us in it. We can't just highlight the one bad thing he did. 

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

Obviously that Leeds one was shocking and the Leicester one should have been saved, but nah, today was a strike that just went in. Cech had far worse showings than today and no one batted an eyelid. Mendy is in a bit of a slump, but not concerned. He has small patches occasionally like this. It is just made worse by the fact the team has been shocking. To Mendy's credit, he made some huge saves in the Leicester game to keep us in it. We can't just highlight the one bad thing he did. 

He seemed to get a solid hand on the ball. That's generally an indication and it was hardly a rocket. I'm certainly not putting the blame solely on him, but questions have to be asked about his performances over the last few months. 

We play West Ham next & we all remember how they won the game at home.

1 hour ago, chelsea_4_eva said:

And Tuchel thinks we dont need a CM... Jorgi should really be a bit part player, his game really does depend on who our opponents are... but also ironically he is the one that is less likely injured.

Atleast lampard make some good decision here long time a go, he make that hard decision to let jorginho out from our XI.

And suddenly tuchel in charge, he become undisputed starter 🥱

After couple of months, lampard knows for sure, if he choose to make jorginho as integral part of team. Our midfield would become liability in so many matches 

Edited by dimmas

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I think in our situation it's both.

If you analyse the goals we've conceded so far this season we've conceded 3 goals now from a failure to deal with set pieces which is becoming an increasing problem, and we've now conceded in 4 straight games where we've lost the ball in our own half. For me both situations do point to quality but for me they point more to the attitude and mentality of the group that we're not switched on enough to deal with sudden changes and not enough players are stepping up to take responsibility in key situations.

Where we definitely do lack in quality is in situations where we're chasing a game. I can't think of hardly any games in recent seasons where we've come from behind to win. There's a massive lack of maturity in our attacking when chasing a game, too many players suddenly seem to switch off from the basics and panic seems to ensue even when there's plenty of time in a game left. 

I must say Tuchel is not without criticism in these situations either. I can understand changing personnel and sometimes tweaking things, but too many times he'll make drastic changes that upset any sort of rhythm and balance to the side. I know Jorginho wasn't having a particularly great game tonight and is suspect defensively but when he was taken off tonight we ended up playing Kova essentially on his own in there anyway, and there was no fluency after these changes. It would have made more sense to keep both as a midfield base to control and dominate the ball to put Southampton under pressure. Instead we struggled keeping hold of the ball and sustaining pressure. Sometimes these situations need a calm head, especially when there's still 20-30 minutes of the game to play. You can panic a little more and try a more direct approach with a few minutes to go if still behind.

Totally agree it’s both, but for me mentality is an important part of quality, as is physique.

Also, when Rudiger pressed high up the pitch, he was a de facto additional midfield player, same as when he ran with the football and that’s all gone.

I will point back to what happen to Liverpool when they lost VVD for a season. Given this is a permanent situ, maybe tuchel will have to change formation, but that’s not easy and a bit late for that.

Just got back from the game. I was on the fence about backing TT, but now firmly believe it is time for him to go. The football is so horrendously shit. It's so passive and negative, it's painful to watch. He has had plenty of time to sort this out, it's patently clear that the current system isn't working. We made a shit Soton team look like world beaters, yet this stubborn cunt just continues with the same shit system, the same subs and the same mistakes. The players can't even string a handful of passes together, yet he will start the same hopeless pricks week in, week out. There's no accountability on the pitch, no heart, no desire. Fucking woeful. 

You can get the most world class players and give them to tuchel but he's been found out.  His style of football is so passive and unimaginative that even the best players will lose their spark in his system/style of play.

What is the tuchel style of football? 

Easy passes, try and keep posession and something hopefully happens? What in the living fuck is this shit. We are able to play ourselves out of pressure in defense and that is clearly well coached. I can't find one more thing that is well coached into our team at all.

Meanwhile all our players that leave/sold are thriving with their new teams. Hat tricks, goals galore, best defenders etc etc. 

Tuchel is just dull.

I'd rather lose while playing swashbuckling football than this tuchel turd football.

Even our wins are such lucky, sad performances that you want to hope something major changes. Bringing players doesn't solve systemic problems.

Apparently, this will be another shit-show  season  - like the last 5 years  and  the rare exceptions like  CL 21  . 

Everything else is shit since 2016/17 .

Last 5 years - Excuses  ,weak character players , transitions  , a number of nonsense on and off the field and nothing  qualitatively .

Edited by milka

12 hours ago, Thor said:

Cech was due a few poor showings considering the top class career he put together at Chelsea. 

Mendy's known for having brain fades and being beaten at his near post and charging out of his goal for no reason, that was the summary scouting report I got from multiple Ligue 1 fans who have been following that league for the past 5+ years.  They said Mendy is solid most of the time but if he loses confidence, it'll likely take 8-10 games for him to get back on track.  

1 hour ago, milka said:

Apparently, this will be another shit-show  season  - like the last 5 years  and  the rare exceptions like  CL 21  . 

Everything else is shit since 2016/17 .

Last 5 years - Excuses  ,weak character players , transitions  , a number of nonsense on and off the field and nothing  qualitatively .

We are in need of a project - a positive attack minded project. That means top to bottom. Can't get in defensive coaches for such a project and cant play negative formations and expect teams to be intimidated.

One of the most distressing images last night when Saints were wasting time at 2-1 was the shot of our players about 8 of them just staring, looking at the ground all isolated. Most teams are geeing each other up in that situation - getting in a huddle, a team together -seems we're just a group of individuals

24 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

One of the most distressing images last night when Saints were wasting time at 2-1 was the shot of our players about 8 of them just staring, looking at the ground all isolated. Most teams are geeing each other up in that situation - getting in a huddle, a team together -seems we're just a group of individuals

The most frustrating aspect to this is that there are examples and instances where the team fights and competes as a unit and leaves everything on the pitch.

Despite the disappointing aspect of conceding at the end of the game, the Spurs performance was very strong, coming off the back of beating them 4 times last season. The Leicester performance was a real "dig in" situation to get out of a hole. We competed toe to toe with Liverpool across four games last season.

Why are those instances different though from a Tuesday night in Southampton. Is our squad really that arrogant or ignorant to believe that they don't need to give 100% in this game? Is Tuchel really that arrogant and ignorant to believe it? It's cliché but 9/10 times you match the aggression and desire of your opponents, then quality will usually show through. We've been out battled by Leeds and Southampton, there's no excuses for that, it's quite simply pathetic.

That mentality to be able to go again and again no matter the opposition being put in front of you sets the very top from the rest. Our inability to do that is what has cost us challenging for the title for years. 

3 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

The most frustrating aspect to this is that there are examples and instances where the team fights and competes as a unit and leaves everything on the pitch.

Despite the disappointing aspect of conceding at the end of the game, the Spurs performance was very strong, coming off the back of beating them 4 times last season. The Leicester performance was a real "dig in" situation to get out of a hole. We competed toe to toe with Liverpool across four games last season.

Why are those instances different though from a Tuesday night in Southampton. Is our squad really that arrogant or ignorant to believe that they don't need to give 100% in this game? Is Tuchel really that arrogant and ignorant to believe it? It's cliché but 9/10 times you match the aggression and desire of your opponents, then quality will usually show through. We've been out battled by Leeds and Southampton, there's no excuses for that, it's quite simply pathetic.

That mentality to be able to go again and again no matter the opposition being put in front of you sets the very top from the rest. Our inability to do that is what has cost us challenging for the title for years. 

Unfortunately the glaring difference between Man City, Liverpool, currently Arsenal and dare even Sp*rs now is that there's no way those teams in that second half position of 2-1 down wouldnt have replied in the next 45 minutes. We do need leaders on the pitch, and a bit of anger/passion would not go amiss in those situations.

9 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Unfortunately the glaring difference between Man City, Liverpool, currently Arsenal and dare even Sp*rs now is that there's no way those teams in that second half position of 2-1 down wouldnt have replied in the next 45 minutes. We do need leaders on the pitch, and a bit of anger/passion would not go amiss in those situations.

Agreed, it goes beyond being 2-1 down at half time and remaining 2-1 down at full time.

It's the pitiful effort put in to change that score line. It doesn't even need to be some gung ho, guns blazing cavalier football from the 46th minute either, simply dominating the ball, pinning them deep inside of their half and building the pressure for the first 20 minutes would create a nervous and tense atmosphere inside the stadium and would build a base from which to create chances and opportunities but there was literally nothing.

It was beyond lacklustre last night. The Leeds result was poor but I'd argue last night was significantly worse because whilst Southampton out battled us, they didn't need to do much to do so. At least Leeds played with an extremely high intensity against us. It felt like Southampton barely got out of second or third gear to beat us.