Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

21 minutes ago, Pizy said:

t’s strange. There isn’t t a lot of transfer movement, but of course what little movement there is is happening at the clubs most likely to battle us for a top 4 spot like United and Leicester and even fucking Arsenal.

You mentioned Arsenal's transfer business like you wouldn't go mad if we suddenly bought Tavares, Lokonga and White.

Also no guarantee that United and Leicester will immediately be better because of who they have signed. We should know this better than most considering our experience last season. If anything, we might have the advantage given the players we bought have had another (or a) year of PL experience under their belt, are settled and have a proper manager now to get more out of the players.

Plus, let's not forget that City haven't signed anyone - no guarantee they will sign Kane and/or Grealish either - and Liverpool haven't done anything after announcing Konate what seemed like ages now. Yes, one could say they have proven players etc but their squads are also arguably, perhaps a tad stale by now. For all the focus on Liverpool's (for example) defensive injury problems last season, they also struggled at the other end (remember their horrendous home form?) and only got into the Top 4 because of a late winning run towards the end of the season, which they benefited from Leicester's collapse.

1 minute ago, Jas said:

You mentioned Arsenal's transfer business like you wouldn't go mad if we suddenly bought Tavares, Lokonga and White.

Also no guarantee that United and Leicester will immediately be better because of who they have signed. We should know this better than most considering our experience last season. If anything, we might have the advantage given the players we bought have had another (or a) year of PL experience under their belt, are settled and have a proper manager now to get more out of the players.

Plus, let's not forget that City haven't signed anyone - no guarantee they will sign Kane and/or Grealish either - and Liverpool haven't done anything after announcing Konate what seemed like ages now. Yes, one could say they have proven players etc but their squads are also arguably, perhaps a tad stale by now. For all the focus on Liverpool's (for example) defensive injury problems last season, they also struggled at the other end (remember their horrendous home form?) and only got into the Top 4 because of a late winning run towards the end of the season. 

People must only be looking at the name at this point, like with Liverpool under Dalglish.

If someone mentions Arsenal then they should be mentioning Villa and Leeds aswell.

4 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Only using Simon Phillips because he is directly quoting Matt Law’s podcast…Lukaku

I know The Athletic namechecked Lukaku very recently but unless Matt Law knows something that the others (like the Italian media) don't, it feels like he's the only one pushing this story? Plus, spending over 100 million on a 28-year-old, who isn't even Messi or Ronaldo, is insanity. Better off just throwing the bank at Haaland at that point.

2 minutes ago, Blues Forever said:

Just like Sancho last year, either pay what they want or fuck off.

But unlike Sancho last year, Dortmund haven't exactly made public what it would take to get Haaland this summer, have they? All this talk of a big bid have come from journalists, who may or may not be making things up and the same ones that have also said Dortmund won't sell him this year. 

17 minutes ago, Pizy said:

It’s strange. There isn’t t a lot of transfer movement, but of course what little movement there is is happening at the clubs most likely to battle us for a top 4 spot like United and Leicester and even fucking Arsenal.

I’m trying to maintain the belief that the reason everything is silent from us is that we’re working secretly on an elephant sized deal like Haaland. But the problem with putting all our eggs in that basket is that we look like naive morons if that doesn’t work.

There is a squad good enough now even if it doesn't work. Its not a 2013 situation when we ended up signing Eto'o late in the window after trying to sign Rooney. 

Apart from a top striker like Haaland, Kane, Lukaku, who is even on the market and is a striker the club could sign?

2 minutes ago, Jas said:

I know The Athletic namechecked Lukaku very recently but unless Matt Law knows something that the others (like the Italian media) don't, it feels like he's the only one pushing this story? Plus, spending over 100 million on a 28-year-old, who isn't even Messi or Ronaldo, is insanity. Better off just throwing the bank at Haaland at that point.

But unlike Sancho last year, Dortmund haven't exactly made public what it would take to get Haaland this summer, have they? All this talk of a big bid have come from journalists, who may or may not be making things up and the same ones that have also said Dortmund won't sell him this year. 

They won't sell Haaland, but if someone offer the rumored price €175m Dortmund will be stupid to refuse it.

Just now, Blues Forever said:

They won't sell Haaland, but if someone offer the rumored price €175m Dortmund will be stupid to refuse it.

As I've said before, I wouldn't say that's a guarantee. They have a history in this situation and am sure they are also not stupid to realize that there is no real top striker available right now. Who can they get that will guarantee them goals and make sure they don't go bust under a new manager next season? I know some suggested Vlahovic previously but last season was his breakout(?) season, he's still young and I don't think Dortmund have forgotten what happened the last time they signed a notable striker from Serie A. 

On a similar note, we should also remember that we also kept Hazard for one more season in 2018 even though we could have sold him earlier for more money.

16 minutes ago, Tomo said:

People must only be looking at the name at this point, like with Liverpool under Dalglish.

If someone mentions Arsenal then they should be mentioning Villa and Leeds aswell.

At this point, I don't know if people just want us to sign someone or sign a quality player. 

8 minutes ago, Jas said:

As I've said before, I wouldn't say that's a guarantee. They have a history in this situation and am sure they are also not stupid to realize that there is no real top striker available right now. Who can they get that will guarantee them goals and make sure they don't go bust under a new manager next season? I know some suggested Vlahovic previously but last season was his breakout(?) season, he's still young and I don't think Dortmund have forgotten what happened the last time they signed a notable striker from Serie A. 

On a similar note, we should also remember that we also kept Hazard for one more season in 2018 even though we could have sold him earlier for more money.

Dortmund have history to never sell players below their valuation, they just only made one exception on Sancho. I still think Malen will be Haaland's replacement. If not they could sign Kalajdzic, Plea, or Weghorst who are pretty decent in Bundesliga.

Edited by Blues Forever

13 minutes ago, Blues Forever said:

Dortmund have history to never sell players below their valuation, they just only made one exception on Sancho.

But they also allowed Lewandowski to go to Bayern for free instead of the taking some kind of money from them.

Could also maybe throw in Dembele, who they didn't want to sell but ended up having to because he forced the move. 

And on hindsight, one could say they made the right decision to not budge last year and kept Sancho for another season because he was the big reason why they managed to finish in the Top 4 and win the DFB Pokal. 

I still think Malen will be Haaland's replacement.

Yes but guess that's the longer term plan anyway.

If not they could sign Kalajdzic, Plea, or Weghorst who are pretty decent in Bundesliga.

Apparently Marco Rose made a promise to not go after any Gladbach players this summer. So think Plea is out of the question although I saw that they might go for Thuram next year.

Kalajdzic only has one year of experience in the Bundesliga while Weghorst may be decent in that league, it's a different matter altogether whether Dortmund think he suits them, their playing style etc. None of the notable clubs have gone after Weghorst.

33 minutes ago, Jas said:

Plus, let's not forget that City haven't signed anyone - no guarantee they will sign Kane and/or Grealish either - and Liverpool haven't done anything after announcing Konate what seemed like ages now. Yes, one could say they have proven players etc but their squads are also arguably, perhaps a tad stale by now. For all the focus on Liverpool's (for example) defensive injury problems last season, they also struggled at the other end (remember their horrendous home form?) and only got into the Top 4 because of a late winning run towards the end of the season, which they benefited from Leicester's collapse.

Oh, I’d absolutely be pissed off if we signed those rando’s that Arse have signed. But they all improve Arse because their team is pretty shit. They’re starting from a lower place than we are. The reason I’m annoyed is because our team is like 98% complete and 1 or 2 moves away from being perfect and yet we can’t seem to close the deals.

Even if we just signed a couple of the less spectacular names we’ve been linked with and saved the final piece (striker) until last that would be enough to calm people down. Like, surely it can’t be that difficult to go and get players like the lad from Monaco.

8 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Oh, I’d absolutely be pissed off if we signed those rando’s that Arse have signed. But they all improve Arse because their team is pretty shit. They’re starting from a lower place than we are. The reason I’m annoyed is because our team is like 98% complete and 1 or 2 moves away from being perfect and yet we can’t seem to close the deals.

Even if we just signed a couple of the less spectacular names we’ve been linked with and saved the final piece (striker) until last that would be enough to calm people down. Like, surely it can’t be that difficult to go and get players like the lad from Monaco.

Personally, if you mean people like Adama, I prefer to sign no one. 

2 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Oh, I’d absolutely be pissed off if we signed those rando’s that Arse have signed. But they all improve Arse because their team is pretty shit. They’re starting from a lower place than we are.

How much do you think those 3 players will improve Arsenal? 

They signed players like Pablo Mari, Soares, Willian, Partey last year and went nowhere with those lot. Their brightest players were their left back in Tierney as well as Saka and Emile Smith Rowe, two players from their academy.

2 minutes ago, King Kante said:

The reason I’m annoyed is because our team is like 98% complete and 1 or 2 moves away from being perfect and yet we can’t seem to close the deals.

By that, I assuming you mean the likes of Haaland?

If so, then you can't really complain we're going after targets that their clubs don't want to sell and turn around to say that we can't close out deals (doesn't seem like we've started any deals either).

8 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Less spectacular names like?

A big name striker aside, there's still time to sign the others. Think the club will sign a midfielder and may make their move on Rice. 

31 minutes ago, Jas said:

They signed players like Pablo Mari, Soares, Willian, Partey last year and went nowhere with those lot. Their brightest players were their left back in Tierney as well as Saka and Emile Smith Rowe, two players from their academy.

If so, then you can't really complain we're going after targets that their clubs don't want to sell and turn around to say that we can't close out deals (doesn't seem like we've started any deals either).

A big name striker aside, there's still time to sign the others. Think the club will sign a midfielder and may make their move on Rice. 

Tchomeni or Traore for example. They’re at small clubs who are traditionally selling clubs. Monaco and Wolves consistently sell their best players every season. Shouldn’t be a massive effort to sign these players.

We need a striker, a DM/CM, and a RWB rotation option. If the striker hunt is going to drag all window long I wish we’d at least plug the other holes in the meantime.

1 hour ago, Blues Forever said:

Just like Sancho last year, either pay what they want or fuck off.

they are really stupid. turning down 120-140 millions just to sell him later for 75. like they have a chance at winning anything other than the german cup.

40 minutes ago, Jas said:

That wasn't me that said that, that was Pizy.