Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

20 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

No doubt the system is suited to our personnel and he deserves a lot of credit for that as I don't think many Chelsea fans saw our future post Lampard being a wing back formation.

Regarding the defensive and attacking player balance though, at our strongest our attacking players do become comparable because I'd argue Chilwell and James become as important as attacking outlets in our team very much in the same way Liverpool's attack would be viewed mainly as the front 3 and the full backs. The lack of athleticism and pace in Alonso and Azpi when Chilwell and James have been absent so much this season has no doubt been a huge blow to the balance in the team.

The biggest difference is could we sacrifice a defender for a midfielder. That depends on the centre backs in our team being able to play in a back 4 and potentially have to match up man to man at times. Until we bring new defenders in this summer, realistically we only have Thiago Silva with the experience and current ability to play in a back 4 and he's 38 in September.

I would like the potential to play 4-3-3, as I think as and when we move on from Jorginho and Kante, we have a crop of midfielders who are probably all suited in different circumstances and skill sets to play as 2 number 8's (I include the likes of Mount, Gallagher and RLC all in this bracket) and just need a true holding midfielder to sit behind them and screen the centre backs. 

Ultimately this is all going to boil down to Tuchel. He'll have somewhat of a fresh start this summer with some of the players leaving or likely to leave and I think he has the option to choose to go either way long term.

Why do we have to move away from Jorginho and Kante to play 4-3-3? Jorginho has played in that formation for the vast majority of his career. 

At this stage of their career they would benefit from that move, I am a  huge fan of 4-3-3, it is no coincidence that Barca dominated football with the same formation, Madrid dominance began when they played with 3 midfielders, and currently City and Pool are dominating the league with the same formation.

Edited by Clockwork

1 minute ago, Clockwork said:

Why do we have to move away from Jorginho and Kante to play 4-3-3? Jorginho has played in that formation for the vast majority of his career. 

Both have played there but I think they are both better suited to playing in a 2. If we were to trade in a defender for an extra midfielder or a more offensive minded player, I would prefer someone more mobile and athletic to screen the centre backs. Jorginho reads the game very well but if he's left exposed like he has been in the past before Tuchel, it can leave the team extremely open especially to being counter attacked.

15 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Both have played there but I think they are both better suited to playing in a 2. If we were to trade in a defender for an extra midfielder or a more offensive minded player, I would prefer someone more mobile and athletic to screen the centre backs. Jorginho reads the game very well but if he's left exposed like he has been in the past before Tuchel, it can leave the team extremely open especially to being counter attacked.

Jorginho is more exposed in a double pivot, arguably his best performance came from a midfield three.  

8 minutes ago, Blues Forever said:

Jorginho is more exposed in a double pivot, arguably his best performance came from a midfield three.  

He's not as exposed in a double pivot in this system.

For me, especially in some of the bigger games, his best performances have been under Tuchel whilst at the club.

20 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

He's not as exposed in a double pivot in this system.

For me, especially in some of the bigger games, his best performances have been under Tuchel whilst at the club.

I say Jorginho performances with Italy during Euro was better than under Tuchel. He had more freedom and protected in a midfield three.

Boubacar Kamara transfer news: Villa threaten rival by dwarfing their offer for departing star

https://www.teamtalk.com/aston-villa/boubacar-kamara-transfer-news-villa-threaten-rival-by-dwarving-their-offer-for-departing-star

Boubacar Kamara Olympique Marseille during the UEFA Europa Conference League match between Feyenoord and Olympique Marseille at de Kuip

Aston Villa have reportedly positioned themselves at the front of the queue to sign Boubacar Kamara by tabling a huge offer for the departing Marseille midfielder.

The 22-year-old star has been a regular in the Marseille side for the past four seasons, making 146 appearances during that time. But having rejected the offer of a new deal, he will likely leave as a free agent this summer.

That has, predictably, seen the former France U21 star linked with a plethora of clubs. Manchester United and Leeds were both among the eary suitors, but the pair have both eased away from a prospective deal for various reasons.

Newcastle are also seemingly among his suitors. However, the strongest Premier League interest has come from Aston Villa. To that end, Villa boss Steven Gerrard is reported to have watched the player in person with a potential swoop in mind.

However, they appeared to only be second favourites for his signature, with reports in Spain last week tipping Atletico Madrid to secure his signature.

Villa, though, are refusing to back down. As such AS claims the Midlands club are positioning themselves strongly in the chase.

They state Villa are a serious ‘threat’ to Atleti’s plans, having ‘put more money on the table’ for the player.

Whether that will be enough to tempt him to move to Villa Park, however, remains to be seen.

Atletico Madrid are currently third in LaLiga and are guaranteed a top four finish. And that will mean Kamara would have to turn his back on Champions League football were he to join Villa.

Villa ready to spend this summer

Gerrard has stressed though that he is keen to strengthen Villa’s spine this summer. To that end, the signing of Kamara would tick plenty of boxes for Villa.

“There are areas of the team where we are blessed and lucky to have some top talent. But there are also areas where we believe we can get stronger and better,” he said.

“I think the spine of the team needs some support.

“We have got enough volume here. We have got enough bodies here. I don’t need quantity. I am looking for upgrades in certain areas of the team, who will naturally make the squad better.”

Gerrard appeal may not be enough for Boubacar Kamara

Despite Gerrard’s best efforts, he may find himself missing out on a deal for Kamara.

The capture of a new tough-tackling midfielder is clearly high on Gerrard’s agenda. It’s for that reason why Villa are also being strongly linked with a move for Kalvin Phillips.

The Villa boss has a massive aura about him. And he’s the kind of manager who, as a player, you would want to play for.

And it’s clear that Aston Villa will be upwardly mobile under his management next season.

However, despite his charisma and the obvious appeal of the Premier League, Villa are unable to offer European football to would-be signings.

And not only can Atletico offer Kamara that, they are also able to challenge strongly for trophies too.

There may yet be a surprise with Boubacar Kamara opting for Villa if he feels his chances of playing are served better there.

However, Villa may need to re-visit other targets, such as Brighton’s Yves Bissouma, if they are to land that new central midfielder.

22 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

Koundes only 5 10 ? Hmm. 

That does not make him a necessarily bad defender, but I hope he has a good leap like Puyol. Else., this could be a disaster in some of the league games.

Not necessarily, when did it become only centre half's that defend with headers? 

54 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

Koundes only 5 10 ? Hmm. 

That does not make him a necessarily bad defender, but I hope he has a good leap like Puyol. Else., this could be a disaster in some of the league games.

He is short for a CB but he’s super powerful. He’s built a lot like Reece James. I wouldn’t be worried about his corner defending ability. 

Would be nice for our other CB buy to have some height, however. Though if we buy Gvardiol he’s not tall, either.

4 hours ago, Blues Forever said:

It is true that Koulibaly likes Barcelona and is on their list, other clubs like Chelsea also interested in him. De Laurentiis doesn't want to lose Koulibaly for free and will ask around €30m - €40m.

at around £25-30m for him would be a steal

he has at least 2, 3 great years left IMHO

he was a beast this year at the age of 30

CB's, CF's (in some cases) and GKers (obviously) are the exception to my '30yo' rule

look at Thiago, Benz, Lewa, VVD, Matip (had a better year than VVD IMHO), Stefan de Vrij, Simon Kjaer (pre season-ending injury), Craig Dawson (massive part of West Ham this season at 32yo) etc etc

Edited by Vesper

7 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

Yes. Not necessarily.

And where did I say it was only up to CBs to defend headers?

I have watched A LOT of full games and also extended highlights with Kounde. Posted some here.

He is too often a liability in the air on crosses and free kicks. and he often has poor positioning.

He is a ball watcher.