Todd Boehly Thread

11 hours ago, robsblubot said:

did a good job at a tiny club--mostly because he's English tho.

You forgetting this so called tiny club made us look like a Sunday league team? And started far better than us when TT was here at the start of the season? It's also got nothing to do with his nationality, he's earned the job on merit and that alone.ive said it once and I'll say it again far to many Chelsea fans are spoilt and have forgot where we came from to where we are now, doesn't last forever if u stand still and let seasons pass you by. Happend to Arsenal and Manchester UTD and now it's us, Manchester City didn't become this absolute power house over night, but alot of you can't seem to get it in your heads this club needs a massive overhaul, you just want stuff NOW NOW NOW.

17 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

You forgetting this so called tiny club made us look like a Sunday league team? And started far better than us when TT was here at the start of the season? It's also got nothing to do with his nationality, he's earned the job on merit and that alone.ive said it once and I'll say it again far to many Chelsea fans are spoilt and have forgot where we came from to where we are now, doesn't last forever if u stand still and let seasons pass you by. Happend to Arsenal and Manchester UTD and now it's us, Manchester City didn't become this absolute power house over night, but alot of you can't seem to get it in your heads this club needs a massive overhaul, you just want stuff NOW NOW NOW.

I agree with this, although there is also always that worrying feeling whether someone is the right person for a job and the inevitable is delayed for the sake of trying to stabilise.

I think in the case of Potter, unless we completely started free-falling down the league table, he should be given this season with no real pressure being placed on him. I'm not expecting him to wave a magic wand, and at present I don't even expect him to get us in the top 4 but by the end of the season I want to see what the plan is moving forward with regards to style and performances. They might not necessarily be complete or consistent yet, but what has been served up in the last few games is quite alarming because we're getting out played, out thought and out battled. There has to be an obvious upward trajectory in my opinion in 6 months' time to know that he is worth that time and patience to be afforded to him to get this to work. 

With the schedule and the number of injuries we've had, it was always going to be a tricky period to come in, but we can't just expect to rip everything up and build a completely new team. That's something that will take at least 2-3 years to shape, and, in the meantime, there will be areas where we have to make do and he has to get a tune out of some players for the foreseeable future. 

I do think he needs to get a few results soon after the break too though. If we lost at home against Bournemouth I can see the crowd start turning on the team and the manager. You get the feeling already that patience is starting to wear a little thin. At times our home support can sometimes be questioned with regards to atmosphere, but one thing that has always been apparent is if the support turns, it can get toxic very quickly. It feels like it's simmering a little currently, and a couple more bad results and dire performances and I can see anger and frustration being vented on players, manager and owners.

We agree to disagree on whether Potter deserves the shot he's been given, which is absolutely fine. I hope to be 100% wrong here and that he turns things around.

I have a harder time with discussing club's sizes, because that's measurable and fairly obvious. You can take wages, club estimated (or factual in our case) value, which include facilities, brand value, revenue, etc... lots of information on this subject.

The same, to a lesser degree, applies to players. It gets a little more difficult because we get age and resale value, which may or may not be important. It's easier to measure market demand though: like if our player would've been given free agency, where would he go and for how much money. It's a different discussion tho... the point was about club size.

13 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

If Potter goes into January and tells his recruitment team to make CM an utmost priority, then he's already got one up on Tuchel in his ability to build a side. 

He could do that but not sure which top class CM would leave their current club in January...

Feel like the only signings possible in the January window are top up players like a backup RB, backup winger as a replacement for Ziyech. 

3 hours ago, Reddish-Blue said:

He could do that but not sure which top class CM would leave their current club in January...

Feel like the only signings possible in the January window are top up players like a backup RB, backup winger as a replacement for Ziyech. 

Not just centre mid, but this applies to pretty much any position.

I suppose the World Cup break gives the club more time to try and sort deals out if there are some to be sorted but January has historically been a bit of a nightmare window where teams usually buy in panic more than anything else. You get the odd success and from our perspective, we could really do with a signing that gives the club a shot in the arm in a similar way to how Fernandes did when United bought him a few years back.

What I don't want to see happen is the club make signings in January to chase top 4, only to be left with a bigger mess to deal with next summer. If the deals aren't there, then they shouldn't be made. There will be plenty of opportunities in the summer irrespective of finishing in the top 4. 

One that does appear to have started being mentioned again is Zakharyan - for the price being mentioned and from the clips I've seen of him he definitely looks to be a talent worth taking a chance on. Whether he could come in and hit the ground running immediately I'm not too sure, but if a deal could be done in January it would give him the second half of this season to bed in to the club and England in general. 

19 hours ago, Superblue said:

Not just centre mid, but this applies to pretty much any position.

I suppose the World Cup break gives the club more time to try and sort deals out if there are some to be sorted but January has historically been a bit of a nightmare window where teams usually buy in panic more than anything else. You get the odd success and from our perspective, we could really do with a signing that gives the club a shot in the arm in a similar way to how Fernandes did when United bought him a few years back.

What I don't want to see happen is the club make signings in January to chase top 4, only to be left with a bigger mess to deal with next summer. If the deals aren't there, then they shouldn't be made. There will be plenty of opportunities in the summer irrespective of finishing in the top 4. 

One that does appear to have started being mentioned again is Zakharyan - for the price being mentioned and from the clips I've seen of him he definitely looks to be a talent worth taking a chance on. Whether he could come in and hit the ground running immediately I'm not too sure, but if a deal could be done in January it would give him the second half of this season to bed in to the club and England in general. 

Definitely looks a raw talent but I get the feeling it may be a signing similar to Carney (the young mid we got from Villa). 

If we can get him across in January, it gives him 6 months to be eased into the side as a possible rotation option. 

Would love to see us get someone ready made (in that 23-25 age group) who can come in and have an impact, shame we didn't go after that Portuguese fella who ended up at Wolves, he looked like he had the raw tools to be that progressive midfielder in our tactical setup...

With the possible exception of Madrid and then only because of modric, really don’t see us lacking that much in that specific position.

Other top sides play and win with equal or even lesser CMs.

However, I do agree with lack in strength in depth esp with kante clearly past his prime and RLC never been the same since the horrific injury.

honestly, unless we are talking about ppl like casemiro or Bruno I go aren’t avail, just don’t see a cm signing helping that much atm.

7 hours ago, robsblubot said:

With the possible exception of Madrid and then only because of modric, really don’t see us lacking that much in that specific position.

Other top sides play and win with equal or even lesser CMs.

However, I do agree with lack in strength in depth esp with kante clearly past his prime and RLC never been the same since the horrific injury.

honestly, unless we are talking about ppl like casemiro or Bruno I go aren’t avail, just don’t see a cm signing helping that much atm.

We lack physicality and mobility in midfield. Think back to the sides we had that were winning league titles and we had the likes of Lampard, Ballack, Essien, Mikel, and in later years Matic and Kante. We would regularly be capable of running over sides and particularly in the case of the former players we'd just bully teams. 

When we lose Kante from our midfield, which has been an increasing regularity in recent times, I do think teams look at our midfield as an area of our team they can get out. Unlike some, I'm actually a fan of Jorginho with regards to the technical aspect to his game and unlike a number of players in recent times, I think he leaves it out on the pitch and is a strong leader and character within what we currently have. But there's no ignoring that his physical limitations expose the team and defence behind him. 

A strong defensive minded midfielder that can physically impose themselves on the game and prevent us from being overrun is an absolute must. If the right profile isn't there in January, then something needs to be done next summer. 

1 hour ago, Superblue said:

We lack physicality and mobility in midfield. Think back to the sides we had that were winning league titles and we had the likes of Lampard, Ballack, Essien, Mikel, and in later years Matic and Kante. We would regularly be capable of running over sides and particularly in the case of the former players we'd just bully teams. 

When we lose Kante from our midfield, which has been an increasing regularity in recent times, I do think teams look at our midfield as an area of our team they can get out. Unlike some, I'm actually a fan of Jorginho with regards to the technical aspect to his game and unlike a number of players in recent times, I think he leaves it out on the pitch and is a strong leader and character within what we currently have. But there's no ignoring that his physical limitations expose the team and defence behind him. 

A strong defensive minded midfielder that can physically impose themselves on the game and prevent us from being overrun is an absolute must. If the right profile isn't there in January, then something needs to be done next summer. 

I can agree with that esp regarding the hole that Kante leaves when he's out. While a skillful player, Kovacic's game can be a bit... unclean.

It's all relative though. City plays with lots of midgets, skillful (and not particularly physical) players in midfield and dominate the league. Liverpool's CMs are only good players at best, but they do strength.

So, while I agree, it really depends on what type of football we are planning to play.

Edited by robsblubot

I think the Nkunku signing (if it happens) will add a much needed dynamic to our squad, meaning someone who can run with the ball and be a goal threat so I can see why Todd is in for him, unfortunately I also though that Sterling could bring those qualities but it doesn't seem like that role fits him the best.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, milka said:

we still need to appoint a Sporting Director

Christopher Vivell, his role at Chelsea and what his appointment means for their sporting director search

https://theathletic.com/3671543/2022/10/11/christopher-vivell-Chelsea-sporting-director-search/

It’s been almost five years, but Chelsea have finally found their successor to former technical director Michael Emenalo in Christopher Vivell.

Well, that’s one way of looking at it.

Vivell will be the first person to be employed in the role of technical director since Emenalo’s shock resignation in November 2017; Petr Cech’s rather woolier job title of ‘technical and performance advisor’ always suggested he had less influence, and in the messy final months of the Roman Abramovich era it appeared the only significant duty the club’s long-time goalkeeper had directly inherited from Emenalo was fielding the awkward media questions that those above him in the hierarchy would rather avoid.

Vivell, a 35-year-old who had been technical director at German Bundesliga club RB Leipzig for the past two years, will be working in a very different context to Emenalo and Cech, having been hired by new owners with very different ideas of best-practice in terms of running an elite football club.

It has been suggested he will lead Chelsea’s data and scouting operations, effectively making him something more akin to a replacement for departed head of international scouting Scott McLachlan — but, in truth, his role is not yet 100 per cent defined.

That is primarily because Chelsea’s new co-owners Todd Boehly and Clearlake Capital are not done hiring.

They still plan to appoint a sporting director, ideally before the January transfer window opens, and have not been deterred by both former Liverpool recruitment chief Michael Edwards and Red Bull Salzburg sporting director Christophe Freund turning the job down. There could even be room for a new sporting-minded chief executive or general manager to sit above this new football structure, acting as a bridge to ownership.

It’s easy to see why clarity over the division of responsibilities between the people in these various new positions could take time, particularly since some of them are yet to be filled.

Boehly and Clearlake co-founder Behdad Eghbali are adamant that Chelsea need a world-class executive team to bolster their expensive array of talent on the pitch, and believe that building one will enable them to avoid a repeat of this year’s chaotic, makeshift first summer of their ownership.

snip

4 hours ago, Hashishi said:

I cannot get over the fact that he looks like a pig.

1613295_1.jpeg.jpg

What is your fixation with slagging off Boehly?

The bloke is putting his money where his mouth is, and is putting together  a world class team to run the club (and he is also going to do a multi club model, which is brilliant)