Todd Boehly Thread

4 hours ago, DDA said:

Please explain ? 

Imagine if they had come in and not spent a penny in the summer after losing key figures of the first team. 

Imagine if they had sat around watching TT self destruct on and off the pitch whilst we are getting battered on it. 

Imagine keeping the old regime on board after the absolute clown show they had turned us into.

Imagine knowing that one of the brightest prospects in football management was still at a club where his services were ataibable and striking to get him before one of the other big clubs were to make a move. 

Imagine planning for the future by purchasing some of the hottest youth prospects in Europe with a view to bolster an already incredible youth system.

Just Imagine.... all of those objectives being met within 3 months and yet still Chelsea fans are moaning! 

Truly Bizarre.

Tuchel wanted Matthijs de Ligt, Raphinha, Frenkie de Jong and Presnel Kimpembe. He did not want Kounde and Ronaldo which were broadly the right decisions for me. The club also reportedly drew up plans for a 4-4-3 formation - some amateur stuff happening if true.

All the club briefings on the sacking point to a broken relationship and I have no qualms with the decision. But to say Todd and co. are doing a good job after this transfer window is a big leap for me. I feel they have the enthusiasm and the best interests at heart but I am not convinced they are going to run this club efficiently yet. They have to be held accountable for this summer as much as Tuchel

29 minutes ago, Strike said:

Tuchel wanted Matthijs de Ligt, Raphinha, Frenkie de Jong and Presnel Kimpembe. He did not want Kounde and Ronaldo which were broadly the right decisions for me. The club also reportedly drew up plans for a 4-4-3 formation - some amateur stuff happening if true.

All the club briefings on the sacking point to a broken relationship and I have no qualms with the decision. But to say Todd and co. are doing a good job after this transfer window is a big leap for me. I feel they have the enthusiasm and the best interests at heart but I am not convinced they are going to run this club efficiently yet. They have to be held accountable for this summer as much as Tuchel

Genuinely all 4 players were an impossibility. 

- de Ligt was Bayern bound given the already established relationship between his agency and Bayern. 

- De Jong is a simp. 

- Raphinha only wanted Barcelona and its the very reason Arteta didn't even bother. 

- Kimpembe didn't want to leave PSG. 

We brought in Sterling, Aubameyang, Zakaria, Koulibaly, Fofana Cucurella in one window and managed to get rid of Werner, Lukaku, and Alonso. To suggest Boehly and Co didn't a good job is nothing short of an emotional response. 

Also, please tell me you don't buy that a multi billionaire sports enthusiast wanted to field 12 players on the pitch. 

33 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Genuinely all 4 players were an impossibility. 

- de Ligt was Bayern bound given the already established relationship between his agency and Bayern. 

- De Jong is a simp. 

- Raphinha only wanted Barcelona and its the very reason Arteta didn't even bother. 

- Kimpembe didn't want to leave PSG. 

We brought in Sterling, Aubameyang, Zakaria, Koulibaly, Fofana Cucurella in one window and managed to get rid of Werner, Lukaku, and Alonso. To suggest Boehly and Co didn't a good job is nothing short of an emotional response. 

Also, please tell me you don't buy that a multi billionaire sports enthusiast wanted to field 12 players on the pitch. 

You're right - Without hindsight - Sterling, Fofana, Cucurella and Koulibaly were good pickups. But board was pushing for Ronaldo and Kounde - spending energy on those deals instead of sorting out other issues. 

About the 4-3-3 - It sounds incredulous but also don't see why Athletic would be reporting if they hadn't heard about this. Sounds like a very strange detail to be making up

14 minutes ago, Strike said:

You're right - Without hindsight - Sterling, Fofana, Cucurella and Koulibaly were good pickups. But board was pushing for Ronaldo and Kounde - spending energy on those deals instead of sorting out other issues. 

About the 4-3-3 - It sounds incredulous but also don't see why Athletic would be reporting if they hadn't heard about this. Sounds like a very strange detail to be making up

Kounde would of come aswell as KK and Fofana, would of helped Silva with resting time, Ronaldo was a pure profit move, the shirt sales and other merch would have pulled so much money, could potentially of paid for the transfer window.

Something relating to this 4-4-3 story probably did happen but it's the sort of thing that should be completely laughed off, a bit of a joke made of it inside the walls of a private meeting and off you go.

It's a silly mistake but I've seen plenty of people on here post their mock line ups for the next game and either leave a player out or put one too many in.

If that is something that has truly irked Tuchel and been leaked as a result, then it feels a bit petty to me and probably emphasises a situation where Tuchel and the board just simply weren't getting along.

1 hour ago, Strike said:

That 4-4-2 story has been debunked. 

4 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Something relating to this 4-4-3 story probably did happen but it's the sort of thing that should be completely laughed off, a bit of a joke made of it inside the walls of a private meeting and off you go.

It's a silly mistake but I've seen plenty of people on here post their mock line ups for the next game and either leave a player out or put one too many in.

If that is something that has truly irked Tuchel and been leaked as a result, then it feels a bit petty to me and probably emphasises a situation where Tuchel and the board just simply weren't getting along.

Sadly Tuchel or his people put out a similar story when he was sacked at Dortmund. The spin from both sides is tiresome. It is time to move on. Sadly people will keep repeating this 4-4-2 story. 

9 hours ago, DDA said:

Please explain ? 

Imagine if they had come in and not spent a penny in the summer after losing key figures of the first team. 

Imagine if they had sat around watching TT self destruct on and off the pitch whilst we are getting battered on it. 

Imagine keeping the old regime on board after the absolute clown show they had turned us into.

Imagine knowing that one of the brightest prospects in football management was still at a club where his services were ataibable and striking to get him before one of the other big clubs were to make a move. 

Imagine planning for the future by purchasing some of the hottest youth prospects in Europe with a view to bolster an already incredible youth system.

Just Imagine.... all of those objectives being met within 3 months and yet still Chelsea fans are moaning! 

Truly Bizarre.

That they sack a world class manager because he did not want Ronaldo us truly clueless. 

1 hour ago, Fernando said:

That they sack a world class manager because he did not want Ronaldo us truly clueless. 

it was far more than that, to reduce it to that as the main reason is just silly

have you been watching our offence for ages?

On 11/09/2022 at 09:31, Fernando said:

The way they are running the club is very amateurish to me. I see nothing but trouble coming in the horizon. 

Their approach at the Dodgers is lauded and heralded as a massive positive. 

They've been extremely successful since taking over there. They clearly know how to run a club. 

Tuchel is a polarising figure. No ways around it. It wasn't deemed as effective for them long term, and to be honest the brand of football we were playing wasn't great. 

7 hours ago, Jype said:

Most of what you listed are arbitrary 'reasons' that probably had very little to do with the sacking and it seems like there was more to it than that. 

Tuchel preferred the rigid structure under Marina/Cech a lot more than whatever role he had this summer where he needed to take a big part in player recruitment. He also wanted nothing to do with the hiring process of the new sporting directors and preferred to just have a coaching role, as confirmed by Tuchel himself. On the other hand, from the very start it's seemed like Boehly and Clearlake want a manager who both can and wants to, for lack of a better phrase, revolutionize the whole club culture from the ground up and build towards a long-term future. In an ideal world Tuchel would have happily taken on that increased responsibility (most managers would) but if he didn't want to then that's a fundamental difference in opinion and probably contributed more to Tuchel's dismissal than any other reason you listed on there. The poor results and performances at the start of the season were probably just an accelerant in what was very likely to happen eventually anyway.

Personally I would have preferred Tuchel to stay till at least the World Cup break and see if he can sort out this run of bad form. If by then the club still felt a change had to be made, there would have been more time to sort out everything during the six week break from games. Then again we will probably never fully know what's been going on behind the scenes. Tuchel's history shows he's not the easiest guy to work with when things start to go wrong but I'd take all media reports about the circumstances with a pinch of salt because both sides are trying to spin the story their way. The owners are using their PR machine to try to paint Tuchel as the bad guy and Tuchel himself is doing the opposite by trying to make the owners come across as people who know nothing about football (the reports about '4-4-3' and all the CR7 stuff). The truth is probably somewhere in between.

Either way Tuchel is now gone and I'd consider Potter to be a good replacement. He's been on my radar for a couple of years now and him getting a chance at a big club was always going to happen sooner or later. Potter already brought in one of his own recruitment people in Kyle Macaulay. Both Potter and Macaulay are reported to have a big say in who gets brought in for the director of football role and that was a key part of the negotiations to bring them in. At least on paper Potter seems a better fit for what the owners want from the manager but of course he needs to prove himself on the coaching part of the job too because for now his top level experience is quite limited.  It's a risky move, especially on such a long and high-paid contract, but from what I've seen from Potter's teams gives me hope it will work out.

If that’s true then the new owners are even more naive. The best run top clubs are probably city and Bayern and both have a rather conservative structure not some BS inclusive model. TT is maybe a bit more used to the German model where the coach is just that and that is how it should be IMO. Let the coach focus on his job. TB might be knowledgeable about US sports but believing his blueprint there will work in football which he very likely knows less about than you and I is just very gullible. 

We are a 117 yo club, champions of the world with the best Academy in England, used to have one of the best coaches. We do not need to be revolutionized. We are not a soulless American franchise nor a club that lost his way like pre-Klopp Liverpool. We were wrecked last season by injuries, Covid and sanctions. We lack a bit of quality in some positions but overall this is a fine club with a great culture built on decades of success. 

As I said, potter is fair enough but TB and Clearlake are throwing the baby out with the bath water here . There is very realistic room for improvement and a huge downside to this whole revolution of the club culture when all we needed were just a few little tweaks. Personally I would have preferred the new owners to just focus on the business side, expand the brand, marketing in US, source new sponsors etc and let the actual football ppl do their work. But it looks like they have it completely backwards 

10 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

If that’s true then the new owners are even more naive. The best run top clubs are probably city and Bayern and both have a rather conservative structure not some BS inclusive model. TT is maybe a bit more used to the German model where the coach is just that and that is how it should be IMO. Let the coach focus on his job. TB might be knowledgeable about US sports but believing his blueprint there will work in football which he very likely knows less about than you and I is just very gullible. 

We are a 117 yo club, champions of the world with the best Academy in England, used to have one of the best coaches. We do not need to be revolutionized. We are not a soulless American franchise nor a club that lost his way like pre-Klopp Liverpool. We were wrecked last season by injuries, Covid and sanctions. We lack a bit of quality in some positions but overall this is a fine club with a great culture built on decades of success. 

As I said, potter is fair enough but TB and Clearlake are throwing the baby out with the bath water here . There is very realistic room for improvement and a huge downside to this whole revolution of the club culture when all we needed were just a few little tweaks. Personally I would have preferred the new owners to just focus on the business side, expand the brand, marketing in US, source new sponsors etc and let the actual football ppl do their work. But it looks like they have it completely backwards 

I'd say it's even more naive to think clubs can and should only be run 1 way.

4 minutes ago, Kong said:

I'd say it's even more naive to think clubs can and should only be run 1 way.

I did not say that tho. A similar sort of TBs inclusive model was tried by Schalke and a Hertha in the past… we know how well that went. It is a fact that most big successful clubs are run in a similar way. It might not be the only one but fat chance some American casual sports enthusiasts and a PE fund have a better model than those formed by decades of experience at the top of European footballs 

2 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

I did not say that tho. A similar sort of TBs inclusive model was tried by Schalke and a Hertha in the past… we know how well that went. It is a fact that most big successful clubs are run in a similar way. It might not be the only one but fat chance some American casual sports enthusiasts and a PE fund have a better model than those formed by decades of experience at the top of European footballs 

The proof is in the pudding, time will tell.

So they’ve offered Kante a 2 years extension with option for further year which he’s rejected.. months after giving Koulibaly - same age - a 4 year deal.

Kante may of struggled with injuries in the past calendar year but he’s still world class. Him resigning needs to be addressed. Urgently.

Edited by OneMoSalah