Todd Boehly Thread

1 minute ago, Laylabelle said:

Yeah thats my issue. There isn't signs of progress it's just launch it forward then pass backwards. 

I'll be surprised if we get top 4 unless we can string results together after the break...I hope he gets time otherwise it seems a complete pointless move and waste of time but time shall tell.

I think if we don't start quickly when we come back, top 4 will be too far out of reach.

I'm not even so bothered about that though. Like I said, a step or two backwards isn't an issue if it moves the club forwards long term and I think by and large most Chelsea fans don't have an issue accepting that. 

But it does mean Potter has to start getting a different tune out of this squad of players because currently it's not just the results tanking, but the performances have too.

28 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Arteta and Howe both started out shit. 

Look at them now. 

Did Howe really start shit? Maybe results took a while but there was a clear upturn performance wise from Bruce ball (not hard i know but still).

35 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Did Howe really start shit? Maybe results took a while but there was a clear upturn performance wise from Bruce ball (not hard i know but still).

He had 1 win between Matchdays 12 and 22 last season...it was definitely a process, even Eddie Howe spoke about that, how difficult it was to implement his ideas with the players for over 2+ months

image.png.2a3639f9cbad5de84581728299d3f04d.png

16 hours ago, Superblue said:

Klopp and Poch too, and given the resources even the first season for Pep was a struggle.

The biggest issue is the performances at the moment are a shambles. I don't mind inconsistency in the results if I see a project being put into place with regards to a system, style of play, etc. At present the squad is being rotated like a carousel and no matter who he seems to use, they all seem to be putting in abject, pitiful levels of effort and application. 

Arteta won the FA cup in his first season

15 hours ago, Tomo said:

Howe did not inherit a top 4 team or a team that had previously won the Champions League. The comparism is pointless!

1 hour ago, Fernando said:

Best comparison is arteta. 

He was woeful at the beginning. 

Now doing fine. 

Yes, but arteta had a clear and modern vision and we could the improvement even while they struggled.

He also had to get rid of some deadwood including our Auba.

Honestly, I didn’t and don’t see anything interesting from potter. 🤷‍♂️

12 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

Yes, but arteta had a clear and modern vision and we could the improvement even while they struggled.

He also had to get rid of some deadwood including our Auba.

Honestly, I didn’t and don’t see anything interesting from potter. 🤷‍♂️

Could argue that Potter’s Brighton was better than Artetas Arsenal from last year., with a less expensive squad.

Let's face it. Arsenal were really embarrassing to watch at times, and you could just jump on one of their fan forums to see it.

I don't think anyone envisioned a situation were Arsenal would be leading the table by 5 points going into the WC this year. 

Liverpool have had a nightmare start, City having moments of inconsistency.

Anyway regardless of Arsenal, Potters Chelsea is just woeful at the moment.

Just because it worked for another team, doesn't mean it works the same way for every other team.

If we're going to have back to back defeats playing woeful football after the break, it would be time to reconsider the project.

21 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

That's not true, in the calendar year of 2020 they made Tony Pulis sides look free flowing and technical.

Edited by Tomo

55 minutes ago, Tomo said:

That's not true, in the calendar year of 2020 they made Tony Pulis sides look free flowing and technical.

I think it was the deadwood who couldn't press high.

I disagree -- I for one always knew where he was going, being a disciple of Pep, I could see what he was trying to do; can't do it if you don't have the players for it.

What is Potter trying to do? I don't know

1 hour ago, Blue Armour said:

Could argue that Potter’s Brighton was better than Artetas Arsenal from last year., with a less expensive squad.

Let's face it. Arsenal were really embarrassing to watch at times, and you could just jump on one of their fan forums to see it.

I don't think anyone envisioned a situation were Arsenal would be leading the table by 5 points going into the WC this year. 

Liverpool have had a nightmare start, City having moments of inconsistency.

Anyway regardless of Arsenal, Potters Chelsea is just woeful at the moment.

Just because it worked for another team, doesn't mean it works the same way for every other team.

If we're going to have back to back defeats playing woeful football after the break, it would be time to reconsider the project.

I just don't see what Potter did at Brighton relevant to a club like Chelsea. Arteta brought in ideas that worked at a top club, Potter is bringing what exactly? How to have a staunch defense?

There is nothing cooler than having a "bet" like Potter work out, but tbf I still don't see how he got the job to begin with. Sounded like owners arrogance to me.

2 hours ago, robsblubot said:

I just don't see what Potter did at Brighton relevant to a club like Chelsea. Arteta brought in ideas that worked at a top club, Potter is bringing what exactly? How to have a staunch defense?

There is nothing cooler than having a "bet" like Potter work out, but tbf I still don't see how he got the job to begin with. Sounded like owners arrogance to me.

I don't think you can take away what he did at Brighton. Before him they were a struggling side playing pretty dour stuff under Chris Hughton. Not only has he completely revamped the style of play on a budget, but had them punching well above their weight and probably viewed amongst the top 6 teams as one of the hardest teams to play against because they wouldn't let the big boys dominate possession.

With the exception of the very few managers who due to circumstances start at the very top, every manager/coach needs that opportunity where a big club takes a chance on them. Klopp, Tuchel, Ancelotti, Conte all started near the bottom of the totem pole and needed a bigger club to recognise their potential - Klopp and Tuchel in particular who had forgettable playing careers. Pochettino needed a similar opportunity with Spurs from Southampton and I think Espanyol before that.

I think for the ownership, they looked at Potter as someone on an upward trajectory in their career and with a blossoming reputation for building a team with an attractive style of play over a longer, sustainable period of time. I do think if he'd continued at Brighton then somebody would have taken a chance on him sooner rather than later. He'd already reportedly turned Spurs down after Nuno was sacked as he felt it wasn't the right time to leave Brighton. I actually feel it was quite refreshing for them to look beyond a big name like Zidane for example because that hopefully bodes well for their recruitment in the future to not just focus on the biggest names available.

He rightfully should be afforded time and patience this early in his tenure. But the performances recently don't help his cause. Like I've mentioned previously, I'd argue he has the rest of this season to at the very least prove we're moving in the right direction with this project. 

2 hours ago, Superblue said:

I don't think you can take away what he did at Brighton. Before him they were a struggling side playing pretty dour stuff under Chris Hughton. Not only has he completely revamped the style of play on a budget, but had them punching well above their weight and probably viewed amongst the top 6 teams as one of the hardest teams to play against because they wouldn't let the big boys dominate possession.

With the exception of the very few managers who due to circumstances start at the very top, every manager/coach needs that opportunity where a big club takes a chance on them. Klopp, Tuchel, Ancelotti, Conte all started near the bottom of the totem pole and needed a bigger club to recognise their potential - Klopp and Tuchel in particular who had forgettable playing careers. Pochettino needed a similar opportunity with Spurs from Southampton and I think Espanyol before that.

I think for the ownership, they looked at Potter as someone on an upward trajectory in their career and with a blossoming reputation for building a team with an attractive style of play over a longer, sustainable period of time. I do think if he'd continued at Brighton then somebody would have taken a chance on him sooner rather than later. He'd already reportedly turned Spurs down after Nuno was sacked as he felt it wasn't the right time to leave Brighton. I actually feel it was quite refreshing for them to look beyond a big name like Zidane for example because that hopefully bodes well for their recruitment in the future to not just focus on the biggest names available.

He rightfully should be afforded time and patience this early in his tenure. But the performances recently don't help his cause. Like I've mentioned previously, I'd argue he has the rest of this season to at the very least prove we're moving in the right direction with this project. 

I don't think I take away what he did at Brighton; I claim it's not applicable to a club like Chelsea. It's akin (as an analogy) to working at a tiny company where you do everything vs working in a international powerhouse, where there is always a team already doing that work you used to do yourself; in the former example being a "doer" is more important, while in the latter being able to integrate is key. In my view even Arteta's experience at City was more relevant than Potter's.

I really don't think much about playing career of managers... there are other ways to acquire that experience. None of the managers you mentioned moved from a nothing club (like Brighton) to a powerhouse like a top 10 club in the world. Tuchel in fact was dealing with shits like Neymar before he came to Chelsea. Klopp managed plenty of smaller clubs until getting a shot at Dortmund (once again a little bigger than Brighton). like Potter, there are hundreds coaches/managers who did far more impressive work in other leagues. Abel Ferreira at Palmeiras in Brazil (who played us in the WCC) for ex.

I agree that that is what the leadership at the club is thinking, but I disagree it is the right approach. Maybe because I don't see what they see in Potter, or maybe there is nothing to see and he's there because he's English and did a good job at a tiny club--mostly because he's English tho.

We will see if the new ownership will be patient with their yes-man, but yeah we have yet to see progress in *some* direction. 

2 hours ago, robsblubot said:

I don't think I take away what he did at Brighton; I claim it's not applicable to a club like Chelsea. It's akin (as an analogy) to working at a tiny company where you do everything vs working in a international powerhouse, where there is always a team already doing that work you used to do yourself; in the former example being a "doer" is more important, while in the latter being able to integrate is key. In my view even Arteta's experience at City was more relevant than Potter's.

I really don't think much about playing career of managers... there are other ways to acquire that experience. None of the managers you mentioned moved from a nothing club (like Brighton) to a powerhouse like a top 10 club in the world. Tuchel in fact was dealing with shits like Neymar before he came to Chelsea. Klopp managed plenty of smaller clubs until getting a shot at Dortmund (once again a little bigger than Brighton). like Potter, there are hundreds coaches/managers who did far more impressive work in other leagues. Abel Ferreira at Palmeiras in Brazil (who played us in the WCC) for ex.

I agree that that is what the leadership at the club is thinking, but I disagree it is the right approach. Maybe because I don't see what they see in Potter, or maybe there is nothing to see and he's there because he's English and did a good job at a tiny club--mostly because he's English tho.

We will see if the new ownership will be patient with their yes-man, but yeah we have yet to see progress in *some* direction. 

Let's put it this way, Potter was next in line for a top 6 club role, it was a question of when he would take that step. 

As for Chelsea being classed as a powerhouse, I would say, we haven't really been a powerhouse since the days of Conte and winning the league with a guy that could destroy the opposition by himself (Hazard) and some top class players in Matic, Willian, Costa and co. 

Just because Tuchel was able to get everyone on the same page and motivate them towards an amazing UCL run doesn't make this team a powerhouse, it actually just papered over the cracks because we didn't have injuries to pretty much all of our top class players at the same time. 

Now we have no depth, our top players are either out injured (Kante, James), carrying injuries (Kovacic, Jorginho) or they've left the club on a free transfer (Rudiger, Christensen, even Alonso was solid depth). 

You take 4 starting XI players out from the rest of the top 6, I bet they would look bang average as well.   Imagine City without De Bruyne, Bernardo pulling the strings, Imagine Arsenal if Xhaka & Partey were out, Imagine Spurs without Lloris, Kane, Imagine United without Eriksen, Casemiro.  

I just can't see past the absolute middle of the road shite players we have here right now.

Jorginho, Aubameyang, Ziyech, Gallagher, Havertz, Zakaria, Mendy, Azpilicueta, RLC, Mount and Pulisic

That's only naming a few and you can probably add more to that. Potter needs time and signings, because I'm not having anyone tell me any players from that list above are worthy/have done anything of note consistently well enough to warrant being in this team. They are all a millions miles away from from the quality City/Liverpool have. And that's the difference as to why we won't challenge for the title anytime soon. 

The club has been through a really rocky patch and it needs a rebuild, it's there for all to see. The impatience comes from past success, and rightly so but the transition now is going to be a slow process and will take some time. I fear for the likes of Mount and Gallagher because TB and Co won't allow the likes of these to canter along, they will spend and spend big and it will impact them and others.

Worrying times for players and fans a like, we have to ride this out and coming with that is going to be shit results and shit performances- the process will take time.

10 hours ago, robsblubot said:

I would argue Chelsea taking a punt on Potter is similar to Dortmund taking a chance on Klopp and then Tuchel. Both are big clubs in their domestic leagues and respected across Europe, but both in need of a rebuild and reboot at the time the appointments were made. Whatever people's thoughts are of the current job Potter is doing, his reputation for his work at Brighton was growing and like @Reddish-Blue said, I think if it wasn't us then another top 6 club would have taken a chance on him when the next vacancy came up. 

I don't think being English is any sort of reason for his appointment either, our owners are American, I don't really understand the correlation why they'd prefer an Englishman to lead the club. I read something when he was being appointed that they didn't want to go for the tried and trusted and wanted an up and coming manager who would grow alongside the club. The other main candidate was reportedly the Sporting coach so I don't think nationality played a part.