Todd Boehly Thread

2 hours ago, milka said:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1606671296347226116.html

Behdad Eghbali tells @Sportico Chelsea was "not terribly well managed on the football, sporting or promotional side" under Roman Abramovich. As previously reported, new owners were surprised by the lack of data they inherited and the 'disconnected' internal structure of the club.Image
Eghbali was always going to be hands on and will be key in January. Although not carrying a defined football title like Todd Boehly, he's firmly across budget, negotiations and partnerships and is leading on multi-model decisions from an investment perspective. 

#CFC always thinking global. They want a multi-club model with Eghbali confirming France, as reported, is a priority region. "French market is interesting given the quality of the league... [&] French speakers in Africa. Africa is also a big, big market."

Eghbali also confirms Chelsea's first step into the multi-club market may be minority investment. "We could partner and be a minority holder on a team and still get the benefit of some of the knowhow and really firewall off the scouting and decision-making." 

Away from the football side, Chelsea also want to expand the brand. The belief is the £2.3bn purchase price is a 'bargain' and thus if the club globalises and modernises, plus naturally succeeds on field, profit will come quite fast. 

Expansion of the brand, and optimising partnerships or things like digital content, is a clear strategic goal alongside (not at the expense of) football success. This remains the priority. "You've got to put a good product on the field. You've got to win... 

"Your content, your asset is that play and the opportunity to make it a platform is there. These things are generally not well-managed. Some US ownership, like FSG or the Abu Dhabi model with #MCFC, have done it well. But for the most part, these things haven't been optimised." 
Chelsea are not only looking at football models.

They'll take inspiration from the US sports market, which is unsurprising given the ownership's knowledge of it. "We think European sports is probably 20 years behind US sports in terms of sophistication on the commercial side... 

"And sophistication on the data side. I had one super high-level sporting director at one of the world's biggest, top-three clubs tell me, when I asked about their approach to data, 'The data is my eyes'. He has six scouts and no data." 

Data is not just used to scout. It's vital to predict value, development and prevent injuries. And it ultimately forms part of tactical insight. How it's 'connected' at a club, and how much feeds up to the top, differs from team to team. But #CFC want to be heavily data-led. 

Chelsea will undoubtedly be innovative. This will come via some predictable moves, like a modern (likely phased) stadium redevelopment, which opens the door to non-football income, too. Spurs have been able to profit from this since their new stadium opened. 

And, as reported, #CFC will try more novel ideas to bring fans closer to the club and attract new audiences/sponsors. This will include more academy-led content, so supporters feel they know players before they break through. Chelsea Women content will be expanded as well. 

Amazon also believe Chelsea are open to an 'All or Nothing' documentary, an idea that was flatly dismissed under Abramovich. Eghabli basically wants to monetise content at all levels: "We think there's a lot to do around games, media and live content stories..." 

#CFC still against the ESL. They don't want to be part of a breakaway. But Eghbali admits, "I think the sport needs more high-quality premium matches and content. But it doesn't have to be a Super League."

Boehly may also consider standing for ECA election to input across Europe. 

Eghbali: "Could you see a EPL vs. Serie A All-Star Game? Or we could do a pre-season match that puts more premium content on the pitch?" #CFC already want in on an EPL endorsed pre-season tournament in America and see big earning potential in America ahead of the 2026 World Cup. 

The other major aim is to save money rather than only just bringing it in. This will be done via lowering the overall club salary and trying to offer long-term deals with heavy earning incentives. 

This is also why it's been tough negotiating with N'Golo Kante. #CFC don't want to set a precedent for long-term lucrative contacts for senior players approaching mid-thirties. If they cave to Kante, Jorginho (who is set to start meaningful talks) has leverage to some degree. 

This extends to signings, too. #CFC know they need some short-term fixes to try and qualify for #UCL. But once the full recruitment team is in place, and the multi-club model built, the hope is for smaller transfer-window spends and high priority placed on younger players. 

Eghbali: "How do you control salary cost? I think if there's a global pool of talent, the multi club model comes into play. You can have clubs that can be development pathways for players [so] you're not signing the 30-year-old free agent... 

"There's a path to controlling labour costs and still producing a winning product using data and the multi-club model, an interesting tool for trading. Red Bull, which does it well, has a £40m payroll for their largest club and generate £50-100m yearly in profit in trading." 

When Eghbali talks of not signing the '30-year-old free agent' he's not referencing Cristiano Ronaldo. Nonetheless, #CFC won't move for Ronaldo because Graham Potter is against the move. But the intrigue (especially to Boehly) was due to his commercial/brand benefit to Chelsea. 

Appeal of multi-club model to #CFC comes from not only how it creates pathways, but also should a player signed not succeed they can still be sold for a profit. That money can be used to invest in more established targets and/or players who fall outside of the model's strategy. 

Eghbali also gives insight into why Chelsea are so impressed by Brighton. "We hired a coach from Brighton and we think they are one of the best-run teams in the Premier League. The owner is from a sport-gaming, data background... 

"He [Tony Bloom] spends 10% of the payroll, wins almost as much [as those who spend far more] and has a very stable, mid-market, mid-table, very profitable club." 

Eghbali also asked if Clearlake have an exit strategy. Says there are "certainly businesses you want to own for a long time". Clearlake gave a minimum 10-year commitment to #CFC. Eghbali's hands-on approach suggests a long-term vision. Level of ambition is sky-high and exciting. 

• • •

Edited by Vesper

The addition Todd Boehly and Chelsea still want to make following Christopher Vivell appointment

Christopher Vivell was appointed as Chelsea's technical director on Wednesday morning, filling the role that was vacated in the summer by Petr Cech, as Todd Boehly continues to form the club's recruitment team

https://www.football.london/Chelsea-fc/news/Chelsea-todd-boehly-christopher-vivell-25810016

Christopher Vivell has been confirmed as the next part of Todd Boehly's recruitment jigsaw after Chelsea confirmed the appointment of the former Red Bull Leipzig technical director on Wednesday morning. The German native takes the same role with the Blues having been appointed after parting ways with the Bundesliga side in early October.

He joins a team that includes Paul Winstanley as director of global talent and transfers and the pending incoming figures of Joe Shields as co-director of recruitment and talent, as well as Laurence Stewart as a technical director to focus on football globally. The latter two figures and Vivell all have experience in multi-club models, a notion that is pivotal to how Boely and his fellow owners see Chelsea moving forwards.

Boehly has spoken highly of both City group and the Red Bull group and is now set to draw upon their experience, with the US owner and Behdad Eghbali noting that Vivell 'will provide important support to Graham and the ownership group and play a vital part in advancing our overall vision for the club'.

Boehly has spoken highly of both City group and the Red Bull group and is now set to draw upon their experience, with the US owner and Behdad Eghbali noting that Vivell 'will provide important support to Graham and the ownership group and play a vital part in advancing our overall vision for the club'.

The burden has started to be taken off Boehly and Eghbali, but with only part of that group ready to work with Graham Potter and Kyle Macaulay in time for the January transfer window, Boehly remains in place as interim-sporting director for the moment. The Blues have been linked to the likes of Paul Mitchel and Michael Edwards since Marina Granovskaia left but have yet to find the fit they require.

Chelsea's ownership duo endured a busy summer as they travelled across Europe to meet important figures in club football and to complete deals as they brought in Raheem Sterling, Wesley Fofana, Marc Cucurella and Kalidou Koulibaly, among others. The pair were pictured together on Chelsea's trip to Abu Dhabi in conversation with Potter, with the World Cup break allowing for a number of opportunities for meetings in the Middle East.

It is perhaps likely that they will retain an important role in conversations even with a lessened burden, but the number of incoming figures only serves to reinforce the ambition to produce a collaborative approach. A new sporting director will still fit in that system, and likely bring together the roles that are currently in place.

However, the current combination relinquishes the rush to make that appointment and ensure the correct one, with Boehly and Eghbali seemingly happy to play their part for the moment. Perhaps significant when timing can prove pivotal to any appointment.

Boehly has drawn much criticsim for becoming sporting director following Granovskaia's departure ahead of the summer transfer window, but the Blues have nevertheless moved to establish a team in their own form and own time. That will continue, though Boehly's continued involvement and emphasis on planning ahead will ensure the owner's vision is imprinted on the new executive team.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/11/2022 at 20:06, MoroccanBlue said:

If Potter goes into January and tells his recruitment team to make CM an utmost priority, then he's already got one up on Tuchel in his ability to build a side. 

this has worked out wonderfully so far!

🤬

''Chelsea stars 'fear sacking their medical staff has backfired' as the club 'launch review' to find reasons for their vast injury crisis''

So they sacked all our medical staff and employed the physio of the Foo Fighters.

Like a Hollywood comedy

Obviously Todd coming in like a new sherrif in town and making all his own decisions without taking any advice from the previous regime. 

Especially someone who has zero experience in managing a fútbol team. 

Let's see how we are in 3 years. Does he learns fast and adjust? Or fail miserable and walks away with his tail between his leg? 

Edited by Fernando

16 hours ago, Fernando said:

Obviously Todd coming in like a new sherrif in town and making all his own decisions without taking any advice from the previous regime. 

Especially someone who has zero experience in managing a fútbol team. 

Let's see how we are in 3 years. Does he learns fast and adjust? Or fail miserable and walks away with his tail between his leg? 

He cant walk away for 10 years. He’s swore in due to terms Roman put in the contract for the sale. Which is fucking frightening because the guy is a grade A clown. 

Been thinking about that "ending player power" statment and while it's a slogan well liked by this board, TB seems like few years late to the party.

Willian is long gone, so is Hazard, Abraham, CHO and Rudi, so who are they after, actually? Is TB talking to players he bought himself? Throwing cash like there's no tomorrow makes shifting them very difficult. 

Players being lethargic because they lack leadership in dressing room, leadership in person of a manager and confidence in club structures is something different, than players sacking managers because they don't like them. You can't force everyone to play for the badge and benching or motivating underperforming players is managers job. I don't really see TB needing to drop us to Championship to prove his point with Potter and rightly noticing your manager and Foo Fighters physios may actually be clueless is not quite "players being on power trip"

Also I have a feeling that "players turning against TT" is another thing being overblown to make excuse number 9384274 for Potter. Were players on low morale? Yes. But who was "sacking TT"? Pulisic's father, because his son wasn't star of the team and Werner upset by being played out of position. Anyone else?  

Edited by Vegetable

I heard, via a YouTuber, that Todd B, along with associates presumably, is interested in buying the NFL's Washington Commanders. If he succeeds he will have my two favourite sports teams in his hands. 

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

9 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I heard, via a YouTuber, that Todd B, along with associates presumably, is interested in buying the NFL's Washington Commanders. If he succeeds he will have my two favourite sports teams in his hands. 

Todd Boehly making a 'very strong push' to buy the Commanders

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2023/01/14/dodgers-owner-todd-boehly-making-a-very-strong-push-to-buy-the-washington-commanders/

On 14/01/2023 at 17:01, OhForAGreavsie said:

I wouldn't see Washington as a well supported team over these shores, what made you support them?

On 15/01/2023 at 03:42, Vesper said:

Does it wipe the plan of buying satellite club and investing in football group or he just have unlimited money or ability to source it via Clearlake?

53 minutes ago, Superblue said:

I wouldn't see Washington as a well supported team over these shores, what made you support them?

You must be young. 🙂

Washington was once the best supported NFL team in the UK. Overwhelmingly so in fact. To such an extent that the editor of the UK's first NFL magazine once explained to me that he had to publish a minimum amount of Washington coverage in each issue in order to keep his sales up. These were the days of The Hogs, The Fun Bunch, The Diesel and the height of the Washington, Dallas rivalry.

3 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

You must be young. 🙂

Washington was once the best supported NFL team in the UK. Overwhelmingly so in fact. To such an extent that the editor of the UK's first NFL magazine once explained to me that he had to publish a minimum amount of Washington coverage in each issue in order to keep his sales up. These were the days of The Hogs, The Fun Bunch, The Diesel and the height of the Washington, Dallas rivalry.

To be fair I can see a lot of people opposing the Cowboys over here purely because of them being 'America's Team'. Definitely interesting to know and something I wasn't really aware of over here.

I haven't been since before Covid to any of the London games and granted I never went to a Washington game but used to make one each year and usually they were a bit of a circus of fans of all teams and I wouldn't have said they'd be amongst the most well supported.

I'm pretty certain my team are one of the least backed over here mind. Got into NFL about a year after Hurricane Katrina, and got sucked into the idea and "Cinderella story" behind New Orleans rebuilding their team, not to mention the entire city. Believe it was the first year of Sean Payton and Drew Brees and the return back to the Superdome after a year away and I was hooked on the Saints ever after. Year later a Superbowl win too! I have the Chelsea badge and a football helmet with the fleur-de-lis tattooed on the back of each shoulder.

Unfortunately now, it's an ageing, declining team that has mortgaged itself multiple times over by kicking salary caps down the road and giving away draft picks and really is in need of a complete rebuild over the next few years. The combination of the Saints and Chelsea over the last few months has not been healthy to say the least!

4 minutes ago, Superblue said:

To be fair I can see a lot of people opposing the Cowboys over here purely because of them being 'America's Team'. Definitely interesting to know and something I wasn't really aware of over here.

I haven't been since before Covid to any of the London games and granted I never went to a Washington game but used to make one each year and usually they were a bit of a circus of fans of all teams and I wouldn't have said they'd be amongst the most well supported.

I'm pretty certain my team are one of the least backed over here mind. Got into NFL about a year after Hurricane Katrina, and got sucked into the idea and "Cinderella story" behind New Orleans rebuilding their team, not to mention the entire city. Believe it was the first year of Sean Payton and Drew Brees and the return back to the Superdome after a year away and I was hooked on the Saints ever after. Year later a Superbowl win too! I have the Chelsea badge and a football helmet with the fleur-de-lis tattooed on the back of each shoulder.

Unfortunately now, it's an ageing, declining team that has mortgaged itself multiple times over by kicking salary caps down the road and giving away draft picks and really is in need of a complete rebuild over the next few years. The combination of the Saints and Chelsea over the last few months has not been healthy to say the least!

Huh..never knew you were a Saints and a Chelsea fan.

Same here with the Saints. Mostly because of family in NOLA, and of course the 'Cinderella story' like you mentioned.