Real Madrid vs Chelsea

7 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

We shouldn't go in there thinking we've already won but Palace's press is entirely dependent on Gallagher. We should suffocate them. 

Mate, he really isn't. 

oh, that is right

no Gallagher

well oki, then we truly have no excuses

Incredible mixture of emotions tonight.

I was just really hoping for a bit of pride tonight and to go out on our sword but after how the game panned out, really disappointed we had it and lost it.

I didn't even think we were that bad last week, especially in the second half and we've basically been knocked out by a couple of really good goals and a couple of poor mistakes. This Madrid team have been incredibly fortunate to get past PSG and now us, I'd be amazed if they got past City.

Really proud of the team tonight though, left it on the pitch. Whoever the new owner is going to be - resign Rudiger and back Tuchel with a couple of additions in the market to go again next season because we're not far off given all the things we've had to experience this year. Pep had 2 summers and over £400m to spend before he got things going with City and Klopp needed 4 seasons to get Liverpool into a position of challenging. The one blessing with new ownership may be that they have the patience to give a manager like Tuchel really backing and support to build something special and long standing here.

Hopefully we finish the season strongly, get top 4 wrapped up as soon as possible and get past Palace to make another cup final. I don't want City and Liverpool splitting all the trophies between each other this season, we need that recent FA Cup hoodoo to end. 

- Comfortable 3rd place finish

- FA Cup

- Club World Cup

- Super Cup 

This would be a very, very good season with all things considered. Thinking we have a better chance against City in the FA Cup final vs Liverpool should we make it. 

1 minute ago, MoroccanBlue said:

- FA Cup

- Club World Cup

- Super Cup 

This would be a very, very good season with all things considered. Thinking we have a better chance against City in the FA Cup final vs Liverpool should we make it. 

Disagree I think City have the means to suffocate us and will be confident with the way they've beaten us over both games this season.

Liverpool have played us 3 times this season - couldn't beat us in front of the kop against 10 men, couldn't beat us when going 2 up at the Bridge and we were very much the better team in the Carabao Cup. I think the way they like to play, gives up more opportunities and spaces then City offer. 

We need to beat Palace first but either of them are going to be extremely hard and we'll be underdogs.

However given the key injuries we've had this season, that wretched winter/covid, having to go off and play the World Club Cup and all the recent furore over being sanctioned and new ownership, I think 3rd place and the two trophies in the bag already is a very good season. FA Cup would be just that extra sweetener. 

We've evolved from last season, Tuchel is still finding out things about this squad and I believe there's more levels to come over time. We've become extremely hard to beat under him, we just need to improve that consistency and convert some of those draws to more wins now. Our season was derailed in December - we need to learn with City and Liverpool that we can't afford a run like that. The odd game is always going to happen but 4 or 5 on the bounce won't cut it.

6 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

- FA Cup

- Club World Cup

- Super Cup 

and made the League Cup final and should have won it (the only true loss for another trophy along with the FA Cup (if we make the final and fail AGAIN, getting so sick of that), because I just do not think we could have beaten both Citeh and then Pool in the CL, although Pool in the final, anything can happen as it is one game)

5 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Disagree I think City have the means to suffocate us and will be confident with the way they've beaten us over both games this season.

Liverpool have played us 3 times this season - couldn't beat us in front of the kop against 10 men, couldn't beat us when going 2 up at the Bridge and we were very much the better team in the Carabao Cup. I think the way they like to play, gives up more opportunities and spaces then City offer. 

We need to beat Palace first but either of them are going to be extremely hard and we'll be underdogs.

However given the key injuries we've had this season, that wretched winter/covid, having to go off and play the World Club Cup and all the recent furore over being sanctioned and new ownership, I think 3rd place and the two trophies in the bag already is a very good season. FA Cup would be just that extra sweetener. 

We've evolved from last season, Tuchel is still finding out things about this squad and I believe there's more levels to come over time. We've become extremely hard to beat under him, we just need to improve that consistency and convert some of those draws to more wins now. Our season was derailed in December - we need to learn with City and Liverpool that we can't afford a run like that. The odd game is always going to happen but 4 or 5 on the bounce won't cut it.

We lost to City due to poor tactics and Lukaku being shoe horned in. They still found it difficult to score against us. 

Long story short, I am more confident against Foden, Jesus, and Sterling vs Mane, Salah, Jota/Diaz.

Edited by MoroccanBlue

6 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

We lost to City due to poor tactics and Lukaku being shoe horned in. They still found it difficult to score against us. 

Long story short, I am more confident against Foden, Jesus, and Sterling vs Mane, Salah, Jota/Diaz.

As I've said in my opinion we're not far off either, it's some consistency over a tricky period and some real bad luck which has been the difference this year but we've made definite progression and one thing we have shown over Tuchel's tenure against all the top teams we've played (but especially those two who seem to be the measuring stick at present) that in those one off games against one another we can more than match up.

Let people carry on gushing over the two of them, we could do this summer with a chance to fly a little under the radar.

17 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

We've been the better side on all three occasions against Liverpool (two red card decisions go against us in the process), so I wouldn't fear them. 

2 minutes ago, Mário César said:

lets not forget that 2 years ago we're smashed by bayern 7-1 

we made a very good improvements.

The team has definitely evolved a lot under Tuchel and that summers signings overall have proven to be hits over flops.

One of the biggest lessons we need to learn is to build on success when at the top though. Maybe new ownership and a bit more planning longer term will help with that but really since Jose's first tenure at the club the only summer I can remember us doing well after a big success the season before was after the 2012 Champions League and we bought Hazard, Azpi, Oscar, etc.

After winning the league with Ancelotti we got weaker and let a number of players move on. Winning the league under Jose we didn't strengthen sufficiently. Winning the league under Conte we spent but the buys were awful except Rudiger. And then last summer after the Champions League signing Lukaku has been a disaster.

2 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

The team has definitely evolved a lot under Tuchel and that summers signings overall have proven to be hits over flops.

One of the biggest lessons we need to learn is to build on success when at the top though. Maybe new ownership and a bit more planning longer term will help with that but really since Jose's first tenure at the club the only summer I can remember us doing well after a big success the season before was after the 2012 Champions League and we bought Hazard, Azpi, Oscar, etc.

After winning the league with Ancelotti we got weaker and let a number of players move on. Winning the league under Jose we didn't strengthen sufficiently. Winning the league under Conte we spent but the buys were awful except Rudiger. And then last summer after the Champions League signing Lukaku has been a disaster.

sadly

at least I think that is the better team after win a major trophy since 2010

Cesc Fabregas raves about Thomas Tuchel as Chelsea FC lose 5-4 to Real Madrid on aggregate

Cesc Fabregas lavishes praise on Thomas Tuchel after Chelsea FC's 5-4 aggregate loss to Real Madrid on Tuesday

https://www.thesportreview.com/2022/04/real-madrid-2-Chelsea-fc-3-cesc-fabregas-reaction/

11 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Cesc Fabregas raves about Thomas Tuchel as Chelsea FC lose 5-4 to Real Madrid on aggregate

Cesc Fabregas lavishes praise on Thomas Tuchel after Chelsea FC's 5-4 aggregate loss to Real Madrid on Tuesday

https://www.thesportreview.com/2022/04/real-madrid-2-Chelsea-fc-3-cesc-fabregas-reaction/

Above everything else this summer, the new owners have to sign Rudiger up to a long term deal and back Tuchel. Give him an extra year or two on his deal, listen to him to ensure he has the right management structure above him, back him in the transfer market - Whatever it is, just make sure this man is happy and committed to work under new ownership. There is no question in my mind he can continue to evolve and develop this group and coach us to more trophies under his management. Complete class act.

Proud of the team. What a performance. Just a few lapse in concentrations proved costly. Either way, after that first leg, did not see us beating them 3-1 but we were brilliant. James was brilliant, especially considering he had that yellow from the opening few mins. Kovacic was world class again and because he isn't KDB, his performance will not be spoke about, however he was brilliant. His usual running past players like they aren't there and his general play was top class. Just love watching him. Brilliant player. Rudiger top class. Werner too. Basically whole team put in a good performance. Even was surprised about Alonso and more notably RLC performance. Thought he was solid. The subs were the only ones who failed to impact the game.

Still a lot to play for this season. We have been fighting far on all competitions this season. Literally been having a game week in, week out. Finish solidly in the league and hopefully seal FA Cup glory.

Sometimes you need a moment of luck,they got it..we didn't. And that pass was stupidly good but hey ho. We went there didn't hold back and nearly got it done. Dont feel as disappointed as thought I would don't know why. Guess cause we won it last year and to do it back go back...

All about Sunday focus