Real Madrid vs Chelsea

22 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

We've lost the ball in midfield which has left us a little stretched but where Modric is and the options available to him, it's taken an incredible pass to get Rodrygo in behind and his finish also needs a lot of credit because it was very well taken. I personally don't think you'd get the same outcome in 10 more attempts in that situation. 

But ultimately what this does highlight is why sit back and defend and give time and space to players like Modric for the last 15 minutes when he's capable of that? Why give them more opportunities to get Benzema the ball in and around the box when he'd been starved of service for the first 75 minutes? I think the tactics and approach employed were right and we got a sucker punch. It happens, it's not the first time we've been knocked out of europe when it feels underserved and I'm sure it won't be the last. Silver lining should be we're back at that point again where we are disappointed being knocked out in the latter stages by a Real Madrid, it'd been too long before Tuchel joined we were in that bracket.

Silly ball from Kante to give away. 

7 hours ago, Tomo said:

It was more a statement of how I really don't rate Pulisic but i do feel Callum has been denied chances to gain some momentum in this team.

First under Lampard when him and James were starting to look a serious pairing on the right flank. I went to watch the 3-0 Burnley game that year and the understanding between the pair was telepathic. I don't think we have seen them together on that side much if atall since which frustrates me a bit.

Then there's this year. Very good in the autumn only to be dropped after one so so game vs United (days after he destroyed Juve). Then at Christmas he is heavily involved in all three goals vs Villa and shortly after that his quality opened up the game for Ziyech to score that goal vs Spurs.

If/when he has another run like those examples above I hope this time we stick with him in the side a little bit longer (preferably on the right with Reece) and if he can't keep it up then fair enough but I feel he gets judged by a higher bar than any of our other attackers, Pulisic having a run of form like he did in the Autumn would win him an untouchable spot for months.

CHO has played 56 more games than Elanga from Mancheter United, and only has outscored him by 1 goal. This isn't a matter of being allowed a run of games. It's a matter of being influential in your attacking game, and when you are as predictable as CHO it explains the incredibly poor level of output we see from him. Doesn't take players on, always checks to his inside in a way Jack Grealish would be proud, poor finishing technique which contributes to his awful finishing. People want to go about his creative metrics but in all honesty he genuinely fails the eye test time and time again. 

I'm not even certain if there is a player in there, which is why I suggest we give him a 2 season loan somewhere. 

4 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

CHO has played 56 more games than Elanga from Mancheter United, and only has outscored him by 1 goal. This isn't a matter of being allowed a run of games. It's a matter of being influential in your attacking game, and when you are as predictable as CHO it explains the incredibly poor level of output we see from him. Doesn't take players on, always checks to his inside in a way Jack Grealish would be proud, poor finishing technique which contributes to his awful finishing. People want to go about his creative metrics but in all honesty he genuinely fails the eye test time and time again. 

I'm not even certain if there is a player in there, which is why I suggest we give him a 2 season loan somewhere. 

That's the thing, finishing aside he doesn't fail the eye test for me. His dribble and spot for Ziyech against Spurs (Ziyechs got the headline but his quality opened up that situation), his assist in the world cup final, his involvement vs Villa (prime reason I find assist stat needs redefining as on record he had one assist but in reality he had three) and his form in the autumn. He was fantastic vs Burnley, Leicester, Juve and set up the first goal against Newcastle (another assist he should have had but got robbed of it on a technicality because it shaved a defenders head on the way to Reece).

If we look back further there's his assist to Azpi vs Burnley last season (moments Willian made a career of messing up), his quality of finding Chilwell in the lead up to Mounts goal at Fulham, becoming the first teenager since Michael Owen to assist in 3 PL games (and I'm not contradicting myself as they were three quality assists not token assists of passing one yard to a player who smashes it in from 25 yards), his assist to Pulisic at Anfield where he somehow managed to control it and then find Puli despite being in full flight, also twice he's come on at 3 down and we've gone to recover a draw (with him playing a crucial role both times), he also played well against that all conquering Bayern side admittedly in a game we were nowhere near, IIRC he was the one who made the through ball for the opener vs Everton last year.

Now if you were to say he has so far underwhelmed scaled for the potential we saw from the youth cup sides I'll be inclined to agree, and I'd understand if you say he should have more of those moments and I'll defiently agree his finishing needs serious work, but I can't agree with your view there's not a player in there, there's a reason he skipped the loan process (although maybe in hindsight it would have been better if he didn't).

43 minutes ago, Tomo said:

That's the thing, finishing aside he doesn't fail the eye test for me. His dribble and spot for Ziyech against Spurs (Ziyechs got the headline but his quality opened up that situation), his assist in the world cup final, his involvement vs Villa (prime reason I find assist stat needs redefining as on record he had one assist but in reality he had three) and his form in the autumn. He was fantastic vs Burnley, Leicester, Juve and set up the first goal against Newcastle (another assist he should have had but got robbed of it on a technicality because it shaved a defenders head on the way to Reece).

If we look back further there's his assist to Azpi vs Burnley last season (moments Willian made a career of messing up), his quality of finding Chilwell in the lead up to Mounts goal at Fulham, becoming the first teenager since Michael Owen to assist in 3 PL games (and I'm not contradicting myself as they were three quality assists not token assists of passing one yard to a player who smashes it in from 25 yards), his assist to Pulisic at Anfield where he somehow managed to control it and then find Puli despite being in full flight, also twice he's come on at 3 down and we've gone to recover a draw (with him playing a crucial role both times), he also played well against that all conquering Bayern side admittedly in a game we were nowhere near, IIRC he was the one who made the through ball for the opener vs Everton last year.

Now if you were to say he has so far underwhelmed scaled for the potential we saw from the youth cup sides I'll be inclined to agree, and I'd understand if you say he should have more of those moments and I'll defiently agree his finishing needs serious work, but I can't agree with your view there's not a player in there, there's a reason he skipped the loan process (although maybe in hindsight it would have been better if he didn't).

It feels like you're taking the good on board but failing to realise/deliberately ignoring his notable flaws. None of our wide attackers/wingers are at the level we're trying to aim for, and there shouldn't be an discussion to state otherwise.

1 hour ago, LAM09 said:

It feels like you're taking the good on board but failing to realise/deliberately ignoring his notable flaws. None of our wide attackers/wingers are at the level we're trying to aim for, and there shouldn't be an discussion to state otherwise.

Ofcourse I'm not and I said as much in my post.

Ofcourse he has to improve/gain more consistency to get a spot in the long run, all I'm saying is he has the attributes to do so. 

And a lot can change in a year with players his age, for example, imagine talking about long term Kante successors this time last year and Gallaghers name being banded about.

Edited by Tomo

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Ofcourse I'm not and I said as much in my post.

Ofcourse he has to improve/gain more consistency to get a spot in the long run, all I'm saying is he has the attributes to do so. 

And a lot can change in a year with players his age, for example, imagine talking about long term Kante successors this time last year and Gallaghers name being banded about.

He isn't going to get that chance here IMO. I think selling him to someone with a buy-back would be best for both parties.

6 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Idk I feel Kante is nowhere near his best nowdays. 

He is by far our best in midfield but had the ball stolen from him, like Willian used to do, on a number of occasions.

Edited by cosmicway