Brentford 0-1 Chelsea

Jase

33 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Wtf did you watch!?!? out of the three he was probably the best, or was it just me no? 

I think truth is somwhere in the middle. He did  have shaky moments and obvious mistakes, but considering how few minutes he got so far(and he also was a substitute player for Porto) he was decent.

Trevoh also had scary moments but his clearance from goal line was amazing, 2 seconds before he was nowhere near but his sixth sense made him run between the posts. 

One could see on Christensen that he is the oldest, most mature and experienced CB in the trio. Big improvement from him. His talent was never doubt but 1-2 years ago he could only perform well if his fellow defenders played good aswell. 

8 minutes ago, Vesper said:

RLC was knackered at the end, he is not used to a full, very hard 90 minutes yet

I think his endurance should getter as he get more accustomed to more playing time. But he is a big guy, endurance will be something he will always struggle with.

7 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

I think his endurance should getter as he get more accustomed to more playing time. But he is a big guy, endurance will be something he will always struggle with.

His endurance should be good already. He had a full pre season, no injuries, nothing. Not to forget hes 26 years old in January.

Played 90 minutes today but I don’t think he really played the last 25/30. I was surprised he didn’t get subbed but suppose his height and also first half performance was his saving graces. Throw in Kovacic doing his best to make him look as if he wasn’t the worst player in MF (Kova was a brutal watch today).

Edited by OneMoSalah

Brentford 0-1 Chelsea: Ben Chilwell's goal sends Blues back to top - 5 talking points

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/brentford-0-1-Chelsea-ben-25231023

Chelsea survived a late onslaught as Ben Chilwell's goal sent them back to the top of the table.

Chilwell gave the visitors a first-half lead but Edouard Mendy kept the Bees at bay to earn Thomas Tuchel's side a hard-fought victory.

Brentford came close to opening the scoring on 21 minutes when Bryan Mbeumo hit the post, and Chelsea raced up the other end and had the ball in the net 11 seconds later.

WATFORD 0-5 LIVERPOOL: Five talking points as rampant Reds hammer Hornets
LEICESTER 4-2 MAN UTD: Solskjaer outfoxed as United lose proud away record

Fortunately for the Bees, Romelu Lukaku had strayed offside before converting from eight yards.

However, Chelsea took the lead on the stroke of half time when the ball dropped kindly to Chilwell at the edge of the box and he made no mistake with a thumping strike.

Brentford rallied after the break and Mbeumo was denied by the woodwork again, while Edouard Mendy thwarted Ivan Toney, Saman Ghoddos, Pontus Jansson and then Christian Norgaard with an acrobatic save.

Chilwell stakes claim

Chilwell started the season kicking his heels on the sidelines.

However, the England left-back is certainly doing all he can to impress his boss.

He scored in his first Premier League outing of the season against Southampton last time out and was on target again as he got the nod ahead of Marcos Alonso for the second successive match.

It was Chilwell's third goal in as many league games for the Blues - as many as he has scored in his last 33 games across all competitions.

Loftus-Cheek's revival

Ruben Loftus-Cheek's Chelsea future already appeared bleak before the Blues signed Saul Niguez from Atletico Madrid in the summer.

Shipped out on loan to Fulham last season, the 25-year-old could have left Stamford Bridge again before the transfer window closed.

However, Loftus-Cheek has forced his way into Thomas Tuchel's plans and has started back-to-back Premier League games for the European champions, while Saul has been left sitting on the bench.

Frank's anniversary

It's three years to the day that Thomas Frank took over at Brentford.

The Dane, who had been a member of the backroom staff, was a surprise choice when he replaced Aston Villa-bound Dean Smith in the hotseat.

However, the 48-year-old has helped take the Bees to the next level.

After missing out on automatic promotion and then losing to Fulham in the play-off final, Frank ensured there was no hangover as the Bees clinched a spot in the Premier League promised land next time around.

Sarr stands in

Making his Premier League debut for Chelsea in place of the injured Antonio Rudiger, Malang Sarr had his work cut out against Ivan Toney and Bryan Mbeumo.

However, the 22-year-old looked assured on the left-hand side of the visitors' back three.

He has proved to be an able deputy should he need to be called upon again.

Brentford's rise

The last two times these sides played, in 2013 and 2017, Chelsea won by an aggregate 8-0 scoreline.

Both of those games came in the FA Cup when the Bees, who were in League One and then the Championship, came out second best against their Premier League neighbours.

However, the Bees proved more than match for the European champions.

They are not in the top flight just to make up the numbers and showed why again with another gutsy display.

We have a monster good goalkeeper who is bailing us  out regularly but right now we are not as good as our points tally make us look .

Again this season we just grab points and running .  Poor peformance or solid mentality i dont know .

First 4-5 games we looking very good -  Palace , Arsenal , Liverpool , Spurs and then some very bad games - City , Villa (2x) , Juventus , Saints  , Brentford . 

Edited by milka

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

at this exact moment, I think a case could be made he is the best GKer on the planet

It is down to Mendy,

Alisson (2nd for me atm),

the old man Manuel Neuer (3rd for me atm)

Oblak has been a bit off form (for him, he us still a monster and will rebound I am sure, I put him 4th)

Cuntois (has made some errors for RM, U put him 5th) 

Ederson has been a bit off, I put him 6th

Donnarumma has not even (so strange) been a regular starter for PSG and still does some crazy things 

ter Stegen (8th for me) is not in great form, I would actually take

Emi Martinez (9th for me atm)

and 10th is wide open,

most of these can make a case

Mike Maignan  
Illan Meslier   (will be top 5 in a few years I think) 
Unai Simón   
David Raya    (who we just saw)
Gregor Kobel 
Juan Musso
Ugurcan Cakir  
André Onana    
Altay Bayindir
Odysseas Vlachodimos   
Predrag Rajkovic  

Good list, but not even on his birthday Ederson can be better than Mendy. Think Ederson is a bit overrated tbh... I mean he can only be considered a top goalie in that City system.

Think some of us have been saying how good Mendy is for quite some time eh.

@Muzchap was being ironic there 😉

Edited by robsblubot

We were fortunate to get anything from the game based off that second half showing. Mendy with some performance.

https://twitter.com/NizaarKinsella/status/1449431657744945157?s=20

Seems like deja vu again. Tuchel needs to find a solution that will get the most out of our attacking options before reality sets in.

Edited by LAM09

49 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

Good list, but not even on his birthday Ederson can be better than Mendy. Think Ederson is a bit overrated tbh... I mean he can only be considered a top goalie in that City system.

Think some of us have been saying how good Mendy is for quite some time eh.

@Muzchap was being ironic there 😉

what makes Ederson top 10 is his ball playing, anticipation/positioning and distribution

shot stopping he is near the bottom of those 9

11 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Again did feel Christensen lead the defence very well moving to the middle from his normal side when Thiago is there but really felt Sarr was very strong in his duels and it didn’t phase him at all. Showed physicality, athleticism, technical attributes - after a loan spell at Porto where many thought he wouldn’t ever be good enough too.

Maybe just difference of opinions and supposing how Christensen has been virtually faultless majority of the games under Tuchel, maybe its to be expected from AC now as much as anything this level of performance. 

Sarr cost us almost two goals yesterday. Completely misjudged a header and subsequently almost conceded a clumsy penalty. Then few minutes later he completely lost his man just to be saved by Mendy again. Then he lost a header again which led to the bicycle kick which Mendy kept out. Look at the highlights from 1:30 onwards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IinThi4xNOw

I know it was his first PL start and I don´t want to slate the guy too much (he actually made some good tackles in the first 60 minutes), but I thought his defending in the box was a bit off in the last 30 minutes so I wouldn´t say it was a good performance by him.

6 hours ago, Mário César said:

Look at Chalobah with the clearence off the line.

he was very clever to go to line comparable with azpilicueta 

great reading and awareness of the situation by Chalobah, saved a certain goal there.

@Tomo I have just inadvertently stumbled into another dumb assertion like the "WE SHOULD SELL MENDY!" one.

Someone just told me that we don't create many chances under Tuchel in the midst of all this sudden debates about Lukaku not getting the service etc...

32 minutes ago, Jase said:

@Tomo I have just inadvertently stumbled into another dumb assertion like the "WE SHOULD SELL MENDY!" one.

Someone just told me that we don't create many chances under Tuchel in the midst of all this sudden debates about Lukaku not getting the service etc...

When people start banging on about service the writing is on the wall.

I'm already longing for the days I can get pissed at us squandering loads of chances again.