Chelsea 2-1 Leicester

Jase

3 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

It does not make difference tho. 5th place is just as bad as 10th place., no one gives a shit about EL. Losing FA Cup in the final is worse than going out in 3rd round. If we fail to secure CL football for next season, this season has been a complete waste.

Whatever happens, its been a unique, bizarre season , so for those reasons alone, it's one I'll remember.

Not getting top four and losing the CL will be gutting, but if the worst comes to the worst we just pick ourselves up and go again next season, as football fans and clubs always do.

I've been there when we got relegated to the old second devision. For me, nothing comes close to seeing Chelsea relegated. I remember like it was yesterday. Fans just standing there in silence and disbelief staring blankly at an empty pitch for ages. Some grown men crying. 

Not winning the big trophies is a huge disappointment. Relegation is gut wrenching failure.

Thats how I see it, anyway.

38 minutes ago, chippy said:

Whatever happens, its been a unique, bizarre season , so for those reasons alone, it's one I'll remember.

Not getting top four and losing the CL will be gutting, but if the worst comes to the worst we just pick ourselves up and go again next season, as football fans and clubs always do.

I've been there when we got relegated to the old second devision. For me, nothing comes close to seeing Chelsea relegated. I remember like it was yesterday. Fans just standing there in silence and disbelief staring blankly at an empty pitch for ages. Some grown men crying. 

Not winning the big trophies is a huge disappointment. Relegation is gut wrenching failure.

Thats how I see it, anyway.

Agreed. I'm not old enough for those days, but I do remember the early to mid 90's when staying in the top division was a big achievement.

I don't see a season out of the Champions League being something that will be significantly damaging to us. With the relaxation or even scrapping of FFP, the Champions League finances shouldn't affect our transfer activity and all simply boils down to how much Roman wants to push things along.

Similarly with the attraction of the Champions League for signing players. I think there is perhaps one potential target that this would affect and it's Haaland and if we're being realistic I don't think we'd sign him anyway. I don't see a lot of players from the top clubs moving unless they're deemed dispensable by their club and more likely targets will be with players at smaller clubs who we should be able to entice anyway if we're interested in them.

I do think with some time and patience there's a lot of potential within this group of players and hopefully with a couple of additions in the summer and a coach like Tuchel having a pre season and more time to put his own stamp on this team, I feel we'll be in a better position to be challenging next season. But if we have to take a step backwards this season then so be it.

On 17/05/2021 at 00:12, Superblue_1986 said:

Agreed. I'm not old enough for those days, but I do remember the early to mid 90's when staying in the top division was a big achievement.

I don't see a season out of the Champions League being something that will be significantly damaging to us. With the relaxation or even scrapping of FFP, the Champions League finances shouldn't affect our transfer activity and all simply boils down to how much Roman wants to push things along.

Similarly with the attraction of the Champions League for signing players. I think there is perhaps one potential target that this would affect and it's Haaland and if we're being realistic I don't think we'd sign him anyway. I don't see a lot of players from the top clubs moving unless they're deemed dispensable by their club and more likely targets will be with players at smaller clubs who we should be able to entice anyway if we're interested in them.

I do think with some time and patience there's a lot of potential within this group of players and hopefully with a couple of additions in the summer and a coach like Tuchel having a pre season and more time to put his own stamp on this team, I feel we'll be in a better position to be challenging next season. But if we have to take a step backwards this season then so be it.

I always laugh when people say "we can't attract quality players with out CL".

There's a huge list of top class players who joined teams in worse positions than ours without CL, i mean peak Ronaldinho did for it ffs :lol:

Edited by Tomo

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

I always laugh when people say "we csnt attract quality players with out CL".

There's a huge list of top class players who joined teams in worse positions than ours without CL, i mean peak Ronaldinho did for it ffs :lol:

We attracted Kante to the club after finishing 10th.

I don't believe after the season he had just had with Leicester and the meteoric rise he was experiencing, with around a £30m release clause, that no other top clubs were interested in him.

8 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I don't believe after the season he had just had with Leicester and the meteoric rise he was experiencing, with around a £30m release clause, that no other top clubs were interested in him.

He himself confirmed Mourinho tried to hyjack the deal, all be it they were out of CL too.

5 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I believe Arsenal were the other team too in the race. I think we moved in and closed the deal earlier which was a masterstroke from our side. Also I believe most of the top team had a settle DM at that point of time hence no one must have moved in early (just an assumption) 

This was a bad loss ... damn 2 years in the running now. We should have closed the game in the first half when we were dominating possession and were getting regularly into their final third. This is a flaw which we need to overcome else we would be losing/drawing such games. 

Really disappointing!!!  

10 hours ago, Tomo said:

I always laugh when people say "we csnt attract quality players with out CL".

True and just cause you've made it into the Champions league doesn't guarantee you won't slide into Europa in the groups..unlikely but happens.

It's more annoying the way we've caused our own downfall but we've had this so many times. Only this season we may be unlucky..or might not be. Hopefully can win Tues and won't be 3 losses to them out of 3..or a draw..just gotta win! In front of our fans...

so  IF

Chelsea - Leicester  DRAW

Burnley - Liverpool WIN 

--------

Leicester - 67

Liverpool  66 

Chelsea  65

------

Chelsea - Leicester WIN

Burnley-  Liverpool WIN

------

Chelsea -67

Leicester -66

Liverpool -66

------

Chelsea - Leicester LOSS

Burnley - Liverpool WIN

------

Leicester - 69

Liverpool - 66

Chelsea - 64

2 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Judging from this game alone, we will know if this team has any bottle. 

Imo if they had any bottle, they would not have lost 2 FA Cup finals in a row as favourites.

but football like life is about how you get up after being knocked down. So maybe they  have at least learned from their many mistakes.

3 hours ago, Strike said:

Draw is not enough. Have to go for the goals and the win.

CHO and Chilwell at wing back - lost their pace in the cup final with Alonso and Azpi playing here.

Nah, just put Reece back where he belongs. Yeah he was good at RCB, but we lost offensive impetus by having Azpi there... and Alonso on the opposite side (how many times did he get burnt for pace exactly?). Why we reverted to pragmatism with two slow wing-backs when they should be the ones providing width and pace is beyond me, sometimes it seems Tuchel is tinkering for the sake of tinkering. Our regular line-up with James and Chilly on the wings would have been fine imo. Sure he was afraid of Vardy's pace, but come on now, don't be so scared...

No silly changes here please, just go with the tried and tested. 

3 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Did no one bother to ask Tuchel for an injury update? Specifically if Kova and Christensen are fit for tomorrow?

No because everyone was/is more interested in the 'collapse' narrative.

21 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

As grim as the relegation was, once the next season got under way you just naturally get into it like any other season.

Home game were not so good because the attendances were very poor, as many thousands had stopped  going over number of years - team was shite.  stadium a dump. terrible fan reputation  with hooligans and a lot of real, hardcore racists. I well remember a game at West Brom when literally thousands of Chelsea fans gave the Nazi salute.

The racism aside though, the away games were amongst the best fun I've ever had watching football. Though our home attendance's were terrible, we had a very loyal and large following away and they gave the team great vocal support.

Much better atmospheres than what you get a lot of the time these days.