• Kovacic
    • Mount
    • Ziyech
    • Giroud
    • James (sub)
    • Pulisic (sub)
    • Werner (sub)

35 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

If that's the case just play Puli/CHO as LWB. 

This is funny. You just mentioned about Chilwell's lack of game time under Tuchel the other day and now you're suggesting someone else who is not a FB or WB at all and is horribly out of form to be played ahead of Chilwell at LWB. 

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

This is funny. You just mentioned about Chilwell's lack of game time under Tuchel the other day and now you're suggesting someone else who is not a FB or WB at all and is horribly out of form to be played ahead of Chilwell at LWB. 

Add to that the only defense Pulisic knows on a good day is the Olay defense. He can sneak up behind people with his speed, but he is not going to defend anyone one on one.

25 minutes ago, Jason said:

But we all know Alonso is going to start. 

Find the answer on question I asked in Lamps thread. I can't recall. 

Same team as v Atletico. Maybe only Giroud out and Silva back in. Dont see why he would change it radically after our best performance under TT. Calling for major changes after that performance is just daft if I am honest, more so Jorginho and Mount who are suspended v Atletico so may as well play them here as theyve shown they are key components under Tuchel so far.

Edited by OneMoSalah

2 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Same team as v Atletico. Maybe only Giroud out. Dont see why he would change it after our best performance under TT. Calling for major changes after that performance is just daft, more so Jorginho and Mount who are suspended v Atletico so may as well play them here.

Giroud out for who? Tammy? Who never scores against the Top 6?

1 minute ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Giroud out for who? Tammy? Who never scores against the Top 6?

Werner down the middle. Ziyech/Pulisic/Havertz. Even then WBA just showed what a big CF can do against Maguire and Lindelof so wouldnt be surprised if Thiago Silva for Andreas was the only change. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

Just now, OneMoSalah said:

Werner down the middle. Ziyech/Pulisic/Havertz. Even then WBA just showed what a big CF can do against Maguire and Lindelof so wouldnt be surprised if Thiago Silva for Andreas was the only change. 

Werner down the middle will be redundant when we don't have anyone picking out his runs other than Jorginho when 1 of his 10 lob passes actually reach a teammate. If Werner is to play down the middle, Ziyech and Havertz need to both be on the pitch. 

22 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Werner down the middle will be redundant when we don't have anyone picking out his runs other than Jorginho when 1 of his 10 lob passes actually reach a teammate. If Werner is to play down the middle, Ziyech and Havertz need to both be on the pitch. 

As I said I think TT could change Giroud for one of them but he probably wont make radical changes meaning both likely wont start.

Id be surprised though if its more than Silva who comes in, dont think he will be desperate to make a lot changes, seeing a lot of people wanting Jorginho and Mount out the XI despite the fact they will miss the return leg v Atletico.

Also a lot of people mentioning Ziyech and Havertz looked pretty good when they came on, not sure where they managed to make this impression from. Havertz played only like 3 minutes plus added time considering he came on in the 87th minute and Ziyech 16 minutes plus added time. Granted both looked fitter but they didnt do anything of particular notice that stuck out as to why they should be included in the starting 11 for the game. I think if one was to be included from the beginning it wouldn’t be the worst idea but the impressions that they should both come in and start ahead of other players who are playing better is beyond me. Even then where has TT probably changed the most in our team since coming in? Between CHO/James at RWB, Giroud/Abraham upfront and having to take Silva out for injury we have barely seen it anywhere else. Havertz (although was injured) and Ziyech played v Wolves then both never really got a start in the PL games. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

2 hours ago, Muzchap said:

Yeah but if Alonso starts I'm worried 😟

Rudiger will cover but that will leave gaps.

Much prefer having Chilly bombing back.

I would personally play Chilwell in this game as I am wary of Utds counter attack and we all know Alonso isn't the quickest (understatement.) 

However, I am struggling to see what he has done wrong since he has come back apart from be slower than Chilwell. His link up play with Werner is better, he picks up space in the oppositions box much better than Chilwell and he has a much better shooting technique (for instance he gets Chilwell's chance against Wolves I am pretty certain he smashes that in.) 

Further, I think people are forgetting how indifferent Chilwell was before Alonso came back. He really wasn't tearing up trees. 

Now I get why people do not want him playing in this game, but for most games he is probably not going to lose his place just because he is slower than Chilwell (unless Chilwell comes back and starts playing like he did in Aug-Sept.) 

Edited by King Kante

14 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I would personally play Chilwell in this game as I am wary of Utds counter attack and we all know Alonso isn't the quickest (understatement.) 

However, I am struggling to see what he has done wrong since he has come back apart from be slower than Chilwell. His link up play with Werner is better, he picks up space in the oppositions box much better than Chilwell and he has a much better shooting technique (for instance he gets Chilwell's chance against Wolves I am pretty certain he smashes that in.) 

Further, I think people are forgetting how indifferent Chilwell was before Alonso came back. He really wasn't tearing up trees. 

Now I get why people do not want him playing in this game, but for most games he is probably not going to lose his place just because he is slower than Chilwell (unless Chilwell comes back and starts playing like he did in Aug-Sept.) 

This alonso apologetism is really painful to read. Like being in a toxic relationship. Alonso has wasted better chances than the one Chilwellhad vs Wolves. Alonso's linkup play with Werner is absolutely terrible. Alonso constantly vacates his position and consequently is found standing on his feet. Alonso doenst recover quickly enough so werner has to race back and defend at the corner flag which completely drains him for counter attacks. Werner will not start scoring regularly again as long as alonso is the player bheind him

31 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Chilwell wasn't tearing up trees yes but was he a complete disaster?

One also gotta ask, what has Alonso done to just walk back into the starting XI? His last act before Tuchel came in caused us to be 3-0 down at HT against West Brom and then decided that he was better off being in the team bus than sitting in the stands to try and back the team. The only reason Alonso is even back in the XI is because of the change in manager.

You can point out that Alonso is better in this and that but how do you expect Chilwell to get better if he's just sitting on the bench? The annoying thing here is that we're supposed to be building for the future by playing players that were bought for the future but instead, we have suddenly gone back to using the players that aren't our future, should be sold and would have been sold if it wasn't for the pandemic. Said it in another thread, it's a bloody shame that Lampard was tactically incompetent/out of his depth because he had the right idea of the squad personnel for the future. Now? God knows where we are again under Tuchel. 

Moreover, having someone more dynamic and quicker than Alonso would also help out our general play. You see what we have on the right side with CHO/James and you see what we have on the left with Alonso. CHO/James both have pace and the ability to beat players and get forward. Alonso isn't capable of that. He doesn't have the ability and pace to beat and get past players, not even one on one. If you don't play him into space, he's not going to create anything. We are seriously the only top side around that are obsessed with playing a slow, snail-paced FB.

On 24/02/2021 at 13:49, Jason said:

Yes, it is down to individual's decision making but at the same time, you also need movement in the final third to create space to shoot. The last thing we want is for Werner - or anyone for that matter - to constantly cut inside, run into traffic and shoot into bodies. Pretty sure we have seen Ziyech done that a few times on the other side this season. 

Werner has had many opportunities to cut inside particularly when Mount passed to him and he made a run on the left side. Another one was when Ziyech passed to him and he ran on the right side. Both times he chose to make a wide run, even BT Sports analysts like Rio etc, noticed that as well. Comparing Ziyech when he has a completely different role does not make sense, because Ziyech never runs in behind and he does not have the pace to do so. Furthermore, I never said he "constantly" has to cut inside. I'm saying that Werner literally never does cut inside.

Werners decisionmaking is literally costing us at the moment in my opinion, even more so than Mounts. If we want to progress far in the CL and reach top four than we need to drop Werner on the bench and try Pulisic in that role. How many chances has Werner had to prove himself? And how many times did he shine out of all those chances? Give Pulisic three games atleast to find his form and I'm sure he'll outperform Werner massively, assuming he stays fit.

I'm sick of the way fans just accept the fact that Werner is incredibly average and are ok with him starting for us. There needs to be competition everywhere on the pitch. The same way Kante, Chilwell and James got benched is the same way Werner should be benched. He has been below par, and if we can manage to get Pulisic in the same form he was in last season, then I'd rather him start for us. Pulisic in "ok" form still outperforms this current Werner in my opinion.

Edited by Azul

9 hours ago, Jason said:

One also gotta ask, what has Alonso done to just walk back into the starting XI? The only reason Alonso is even back in the XI is because of the change in manager.

You can point out that Alonso is better in this and that but how do you expect Chilwell to get better if he's just sitting on the bench? The annoying thing here is that we're supposed to be building for the future by playing players that were bought for the future

Change of formation is number one reason. Alonso is better LWB and that is it. We didn't suffer defensively because of him at all. He scored against Burnley, made great chance for Werner against Newcastle and played major part in Giroud goal against Atletico. Chilwell was horrible against Wolverhampton and in last couple of months under Lampard not convincing at all. 

Also this argument you used about future is irrelevant at the moment because we are in desperate situation to make top4. When Tuchel arrived we were 10th. So results are all that matters right now. Alonso in Chilwell's place against Wolves and possibly 2 more points because Ben missed our best chance after Havertz pass. 

He will not play once we go back to back 4 and game against Sheffield proved it in the second half. 

You seem annoyed every time you see Alonso, Giroud in the starting lineup. Probably even Jorginho. They are all doing very good. Without Olie we would not even play CL this season because he was outstanding from February to July last year and won us many points. So Werner would not be here 😄

Also you asked what has Alonso done to be back.

We can ask the same question. What has he done to be dropped completely? Mistake against WBA? Header in the middle and 4 players could cover that mistake. Silva did much worse mistake in that game. People are so overreacting on his mistakes. Like West Ham last season. 

Edited by NikkiCFC

1 hour ago, NikkiCFC said:

You seem annoyed every time you see Alonso, Giroud in the starting lineup. Probably even Jorginho. They are all doing very good. Without Olie we would not even play CL this season because he was outstanding from February to July last year and won us many points.

I have stated the reasons for being "annoyed" and I can't be bothered to repeat myself again.

"Annoyed" with Giroud? No one is arguing against his goal record. It's more about his general performance, especially for someone leading the line. 

And of course you think they are all doing very good...am not even surprised!

1 hour ago, NikkiCFC said:

Also you asked what has Alonso done to be back.

We can ask the same question. What has he done to be dropped completely? Mistake against WBA? Header in the middle and 4 players could cover that mistake. Silva did much worse mistake in that game. People are so overreacting on his mistakes. Like West Ham last season. 

Really? Alonso was dropped because of the accumulation of mistakes/under-par performances under Lampard, going back to last season. What happened at West Brom was the straw that broke the camel's back. Azpi and even Emerson were played ahead of him at various points last season.