• Kovacic
    • Mount
    • Ziyech
    • Giroud
    • James (sub)
    • Pulisic (sub)
    • Werner (sub)

14 hours ago, Azul said:

I'm sick of the way fans just accept the fact that Werner is incredibly average and are ok with him starting for us. There needs to be competition everywhere on the pitch. The same way Kante, Chilwell and James got benched is the same way Werner should be benched. He has been below par, and if we can manage to get Pulisic in the same form he was in last season, then I'd rather him start for us. Pulisic in "ok" form still outperforms this current Werner in my opinion.

The problem with Pulisic is he hasn't even been "ok" this season. For all the talk about him being injury prone and missing games, his last major injury was back in November. Since returning from his hamstring issue back then, Pulisic has played 17 of 22 games (1,026 minutes).

Of the 5 games he didn't play, he missed 1 due to tightness in his thigh (IIRC), 1 due to "awareness" in his hamstring, 1 due to family issue and he was an unused sub in the other 2 (one of the games was a dead rubber against Krasnodar).

Of the 17 games that he did play, he started 5 in a row (Wolves, West Ham, Arsenal, Villa, Man City) and then 3 in a row (Fulham, Leicester, Luton) and during this 17-game run, he produced just 1 goal (the 3rd against Leeds) and 1 assist (the 2nd goal against Burnley). That's a far cry from his numbers last season and I don't even recall one good performance from him, not one that me go "yup, that's the Pulisic from last season". Instead and think I'm not the only one, have been wondering "what has happened to the Pulisic of last season!?". Was that just a purple patch that he enjoyed last season and now he's back to being average? And not to mention, his last start/performance at Barnsley was truly forgettable. 

In contrast and yes Werner has been under par/inconsistent for month, but his output has been better than Pulisic in the same period. Werner has played 20 of 22 games (1,326 minutes) and produced 2 goals, 3 assists and won 2 penalties that gave us 4 additional points against Spurs and Sheffield United recently (the contribution is also very similar to Mount in the same period - 4 goals, 2 assists, 1 penalty won - despite being less consistent in performances). The numbers aren't big in general and they are of course no excuse for his inconsistent performances but just stating facts and if we want to talk about someone making the difference, then at least Werner has done it a bit more Pulisic so far this season.

Am all for Pulisic, Havertz and Ziyech etc to rediscover their form because if they do, then we might have a good chance of achieving something noteworthy this season. But the problem is, they are just so out of form at the moment and given all the big games we have in the next week or two, not sure if they can be trusted to make a difference from the start when we can't afford to drop points. Am sure they will start 1 or 2 games along the way because of the need of rotation etc but they need to wake up from their recent slumber that's for sure. 

10 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Change of formation is number one reason. Alonso is better LWB and that is it. We didn't suffer defensively because of him at all. He scored against Burnley, made great chance for Werner against Newcastle and played major part in Giroud goal against Atletico. Chilwell was horrible against Wolverhampton and in last couple of months under Lampard not convincing at all. 

Also this argument you used about future is irrelevant at the moment because we are in desperate situation to make top4. When Tuchel arrived we were 10th. So results are all that matters right now. Alonso in Chilwell's place against Wolves and possibly 2 more points because Ben missed our best chance after Havertz pass. 

He will not play once we go back to back 4 and game against Sheffield proved it in the second half. 

You seem annoyed every time you see Alonso, Giroud in the starting lineup. Probably even Jorginho. They are all doing very good. Without Olie we would not even play CL this season because he was outstanding from February to July last year and won us many points. So Werner would not be here 😄

Also you asked what has Alonso done to be back.

We can ask the same question. What has he done to be dropped completely? Mistake against WBA? Header in the middle and 4 players could cover that mistake. Silva did much worse mistake in that game. People are so overreacting on his mistakes. Like West Ham last season. 

Thanks Nikki, saved me a big reply.

17 hours ago, Azul said:

I'm sick of the way fans just accept the fact that Werner is incredibly average and are ok with him starting for us. There needs to be competition everywhere on the pitch. The same way Kante, Chilwell and James got benched is the same way Werner should be benched. He has been below par, and if we can manage to get Pulisic in the same form he was in last season, then I'd rather him start for us. Pulisic in "ok" form still outperforms this current Werner in my opinion.

Pulisic hasn't gotten a chance in this new system and formation to consistently play on the left. I think we've seen Werner have his moments but he's gotten many chances to not be wasteful aside from an easy goal. Pulisic's form hasn't been great this season but we could barely hold possession early on in the season with the 4-3-3 under frank. 

Now it seems like we have a solid system in place to help us maintain possession so it's definitely a good possibility Pulisic can rediscover some form here.

Always depends on being fit enough to make an impact for Puli, think the pressures of being the #10 got into his head early on. Too many bad shots to get blocked and not enough passes in dangerous areas. He definitely needs to get a lot stronger on the ball before TT trust him more. That being said he is way more shifty and dangerous in 1v1s than Werner on the flank. 

Our depth is strong and a lot of our players on the bench should be able to come in with this new system and outperform some of the current starters. I hope TT gives Chilwell, Havertz, Puli, and Ziyech more of a chance soon. They're going to need to earn it but it's also TTs job to integrate them in because that's a lot of talent that can help the squad. 

3 minutes ago, Blues11 said:

Pulisic's form hasn't been great this season but we could barely hold possession early on in the season with the 4-3-3 under frank. 

We were never great at holding possession last season either but it didn't stop Pulisic from being great.

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

We were never great at holding possession last season either but it didn't stop Pulisic from being great.

True. I mean I don't think that's the only contributing factor on why he hasn't been very good but as a team we became more and more predictable under Frank. Teams just knew to press our midfield going into the season and we would just pass the ball back time and time again. I do believe he'll have more space and more chances to receive the ball with how we're holding possession lately.

Edited by Blues11

5 minutes ago, Blues11 said:

True. I mean I don't think that's the only contributing factor on why he hasn't been very good but as as team we became more and more predictable under Frank. Teams just knew to press our midfield going into the season and we would just pass the ball back time and time again. I do believe he'll have more space and more chances to receive the ball with how we're holding possession lately.

But that's still can't be why he has been so off form this season.

22 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Same team as v Atletico. Maybe only Giroud out and Silva back in. Dont see why he would change it radically after our best performance under TT. Calling for major changes after that performance is just daft if I am honest, more so Jorginho and Mount who are suspended v Atletico so may as well play them here as theyve shown they are key components under Tuchel so far.

Very very short memory... So, for this home match against MU, may be the most important of the season, let's leave Giroud on the bench, play Havertz, Pulisic or Werner and pray what they didn't show yet this season , come back like a miracle for this game. And if the miracle does'nt come, let's hope another miracle, Giroud doing in 15 minutes the thing our young and pacy superstars would'nt 've been able to do in 75 minutes.

Edited by MONEYBALL

Just now, Jason said:

But that's still can't be why he has been so off form this season.

No, I think there's a good amount of factors on why he has been off form this season. Obviously health always hurts him, pressures of trying to take the next step with the weight of a country on your shoulders. He's just not playing well but if he's fit I just hope he can rediscover some kind of form and TT gives him that chance. 

Very important match if we want clear blue water between us and the Mersey riff raff

Defence need to be on their toes to deal with Martial, Rashford and Cavani and Kante/Jorginho or whoever plays to block the channels

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I would say that counter attacking football suits him a lot because he can use his pace and dribbling abilities.

Pulisic just in not in form. Why? Probably all the injuries he had, but now I am not so sure where Pulisic will play. Tuchel used him once as a wing back, but that can't be it lol

3 hours ago, Jason said:

The problem with Pulisic is he hasn't even been "ok" this season. For all the talk about him being injury prone and missing games, his last major injury was back in November. Since returning from his hamstring issue back then, Pulisic has played 17 of 22 games (1,026 minutes).

Of the 5 games he didn't play, he missed 1 due to tightness in his thigh (IIRC), 1 due to "awareness" in his hamstring, 1 due to family issue and he was an unused sub in the other 2 (one of the games was a dead rubber against Krasnodar).

Of the 17 games that he did play, he started 5 in a row (Wolves, West Ham, Arsenal, Villa, Man City) and then 3 in a row (Fulham, Leicester, Luton) and during this 17-game run, he produced just 1 goal (the 3rd against Leeds) and 1 assist (the 2nd goal against Burnley). That's a far cry from his numbers last season and I don't even recall one good performance from him, not one that me go "yup, that's the Pulisic from last season". Instead and think I'm not the only one, have been wondering "what has happened to the Pulisic of last season!?". Was that just a purple patch that he enjoyed last season and now he's back to being average? And not to mention, his last start/performance at Barnsley was truly forgettable. 

In contrast and yes Werner has been under par/inconsistent for month, but his output has been better than Pulisic in the same period. Werner has played 20 of 22 games (1,326 minutes) and produced 2 goals, 3 assists and won 2 penalties that gave us 4 additional points against Spurs and Sheffield United recently (the contribution is also very similar to Mount in the same period - 4 goals, 2 assists, 1 penalty won - despite being less consistent in performances). The numbers aren't big in general and they are of course no excuse for his inconsistent performances but just stating facts and if we want to talk about someone making the difference, then at least Werner has done it a bit more Pulisic so far this season.

Am all for Pulisic, Havertz and Ziyech etc to rediscover their form because if they do, then we might have a good chance of achieving something noteworthy this season. But the problem is, they are just so out of form at the moment and given all the big games we have in the next week or two, not sure if they can be trusted to make a difference from the start when we can't afford to drop points. Am sure they will start 1 or 2 games along the way because of the need of rotation etc but they need to wake up from their recent slumber that's for sure. 

I think it's unfair to mention the games that got Lampard sacked when talking about Pulisic's performance. The whole squad was underperforming, so to look at those stats is irrelevant. Even Thiago Silva was conceding left and right, because we all know the team just had enough of Lampard. Werner was still underperforming when we were on a winning run under Frank. He was missing 1 on 1 chances for fun, yet he still started every single game.

Whether you like it or not Werner played wayyyyyy more games than Pulisic this season, and he still has not showed enough even after Tuchel was appointed. All I'm saying is that Werner has played atleast 6 out of the 8 games under Tuchel, and we're still struggling to score goals. I think Werner is a huge reason why we're inefficient up front. 

A funny thing I realised is that you judge Pulisic's Barnsley game but refuse to acknowledge every single time Werner has a stinker. Why does Pulisic have to put in a worldclass performance after starting just one game, when Werner has been incredibly average most games he's played? Give Pulisic the same run of games Werner has had and judge him based on that. Most players need minutes in order to find their form, and as far as I'm concerned Werner has had way too many minutes compared to Pulisic and still flops.

P.S. stop saying players are out of form based on 1 cup game they've played. The whole team was shit that day. Havertz has not even had the chance to prove himself under Tuchel to be honest, and Ziyech looked very good when he came on against Atletico.

45 minutes ago, Azul said:

Havertz has not even had the chance to prove himself under Tuchel to be honest

He did not had that chance even under Lampard I would say.

With no pre season and coming to new league he was played out of position.

He had good month from late September to late October and this was the only time he was played as AM in 4231. So in his best position. He started to build something. Assist against WBA, goal against Southampton, assist against Krasnodar, penalty won against Palace, hettrick against Barnsley. All this in space of one month.

But what happened after that? He catched Covid and Frank changed formation without a obvious reason. After that was not the same. In this period Mount either did not start (Palace, Krasnodar, United) or was played as winger but was not effective. So Frank most likely did not liked that and moved to 433 to accommodate Mount where they both played as number 8. 

After hettrick against Barnsley and solid game against WBA we had Spurs in Cup and he did not play a second in that game. We played 4231 in that game and it was perfect for him to continue to build something. So Frank really did not gave him trust like he did with some others and this was really weird since Kai is generational talent.

After Lamps was sacked we heard that Kai was club signing and not his and this came as no surprise to anyone.

Edited by NikkiCFC